How do you deal with those late paying clients?

5 months 4 weeks ago #636765 by Deb Reardon
For the jobs that don't have a down payment and on my bill to them it states payments are due within 20 days.  However some clients payment don't come in till far after that.  FAR after that.  

What can be done to get payments in sooner? 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 months 4 weeks ago #636766 by Troponin

Deb Reardon wrote: For the jobs that don't have a down payment and on my bill to them it states payments are due within 20 days.  However some clients payment don't come in till far after that.  FAR after that.  

What can be done to get payments in sooner? 

Did you already deliver the product? Is there a section for late payments? What % has the client already paid? What efforts have you made to contact them? Is it in an email for written proof of communication. 

A change in practice might be in order. Is it not possible to do a % of front, then final payment made upon delivery? No payment, no photos. Until then, perhaps someone else can give you some advice on where to go from here on this particular situation. 

Photo Comments

5 months 4 weeks ago #636769 by Deb Reardon
Jobs under $500, I have been requesting payments due within 20 days of the job.  I have not delivered anything, but have time invested and have done the post processing on their work.  Basically the work is ready to be delivered.  My contract says 10% late fee will be charged every 30 days payment not received in full.   I have called and sent two emails usually every 2 weeks of past due. 

5 months 4 weeks ago #636772 by jeffnles1

Deb Reardon wrote: Jobs under $500, I have been requesting payments due within 20 days of the job.  I have not delivered anything, but have time invested and have done the post processing on their work.  Basically the work is ready to be delivered.  My contract says 10% late fee will be charged every 30 days payment not received in full.   I have called and sent two emails usually every 2 weeks of past due. 

I don't do this type of contract work.  A friend is an architect that does a lot of residential improvement stuff.  Based on his many years of experience, he asks for a deposit up front that would be about equal to the time he has tied up in developing the preliminary plans.  That way if the client changes their mind, decides not to pay the rest or skips then (yes it has happened) he isn't out that much.

Perhaps you could do something like ask for half up front and half at time photos are delivered.  Just a thought.  In my experience doing other kind of work (consulting) getting people to pay is always the part of the business I liked least.

5 months 4 weeks ago #636853 by Kenta
I would make sure to get payment upfront before the shoot.  No exceptions.  Payment due before I take a single shot.  

Photo Comments

5 months 4 weeks ago #636941 by Ian Stone
With all respect, you really need to change up how you do business. IMHO, never work till you have $$ in hand.  Simple as that.  

Photo Comments

5 months 3 weeks ago #637065 by icepics
Most working photographers seem to have a contract that provides for at least a deposit/retainer or for full payment up front. Get on http://asmp or PPA to find out more on contracts, licensing usage, etc.

Sharon
Photo Comments

5 months 3 weeks ago #637134 by Inez Villarin
Good tip.  In the end, late pay clients don't get work done, and they don't get the retainer back.  A good contract with well laid out terms will cover that.  

Photo Comments

5 months 3 weeks ago #637154 by Howard T
+1 that is one way of putting it.  Clear terms and conditions, AND not doing work till paid in full.  

Photo Comments

3 months 3 weeks ago #646039 by Amanda-Gold
Without all of these details being defined within a contract, it could be tricky to keep expectations clear on both sides. In an ideal situation, your lawyer could write up a contract for you to utilize in your business, but lawyers are also really expensive. 

There is a free app that launched a few months ago called Quiktract. This app allows you to not only create legally binding contracts and sign off on them, but also send and accept payments all in one place. 

I know quite a few photographers who found this app really useful (especially when working with friends and money conversations can be uncomfortable), if you want to learn more their website is  https://quiktract.com/

3 months 3 weeks ago #646223 by Fess Walker
Send out notice after 30 days, then each 15 days there after till paid with % for late payments.  

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Nikon D5 is a big professional camera, but is it worth the nearly $6,000 price tag? Find out in this Nikon D5 review.

Sep 16, 2019

If you're looking for the best laptop for photo editing, you've come to the right place. From the best budget laptop to laptops over $2,000, these computers will fit any budget.

Sep 10, 2019

In this Canon EOS M6 Mark II review, learn about the essential specs, features, pros, and cons of Canon's newest mirrorless camera.

Sep 10, 2019

The Canon T7i is an entry-level camera with some excellent features that will help you learn and grow as a photographer. Find out if it's the right camera for you in this Canon T7i review.

Sep 09, 2019
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

In this gift guide, find inspiration for some of the best gifts for photographers under $1,000. From lights to camera bags, cameras to massive prints, you can find just about anything for the photographer on your list.

Sep 20, 2019

Looking to take your camera away from the crowds? Consider these off-the-beaten-path travel destinations for photographers as a great place to start!

Sep 20, 2019

Photo by Cristal Malek Photography Meet Cozette and Bordreaux. They're your typical parents, except they are French Bulldogs. But French Bulldogs enjoy the...

Sep 20, 2019

Video recording glasses have been around for awhile now, so they're nothing new. However, recent price drops have made them quite affordable. Check out the best video recording glasses on our list of budget-friendly options.

Sep 19, 2019

Camera sling bags are a top choice for photographers that want functionality, comfort, and ease of use. Here's our pick for the top 5 camera sling bags of 2019.

Sep 18, 2019

The Fujifilm X-A7 was recently announced as the successor to the X-A5. With some significant improvements, it might just be the best entry-level mirrorless camera on the market.

Sep 18, 2019

If your photo is flat and lacks much in the way of color and contrast, you can use these post-processing tips to add life to a flat photo.

Sep 17, 2019

Photo by Joe deSousa on Unsplash There are certain questionable tactics in the real estate game, like promising free pizzas for...

Sep 17, 2019