Tripod legs locks

5 years 4 days ago #636901 by Alfonso Camil
I just noticed there are different types of tripod leg locks.  Mine twist, but I'm wondering what's the deal with the flip lever locks.  Is there a preference with photographers?  

Photo Comments
5 years 4 days ago #636904 by Nikon Shooter
There is a visual confirmation with the flip locks but
none with the twist.

When a flip gets lose, it can be tighten with a tool
and that is not necessary with the twist locks.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 4 days ago #636922 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Alfonso

There are 3 types of locks used for tripod legs - twist + lever + screw thread. Each has advantages & disadvantages

The twist type means there is no 'lump' sticking out sideways to grab onto other stuff as you walk along - but grit or oil or old-age means the twist style lose their efficiency

The lever type are common but the adjusting screw needs careful setting else they can become too tight - break your thumb, or too loose and the leg slides under the weight of the camera. The lever also needs regular gentle lubrication to keep it working smoothly

The screw type are mostly found on cheaper-style tripods and it works very well - except if you lose the small plate inside the tripod leg that locks under pressure from the tightening of the screw

Over the years I have had all 3 types of tripods and have enjoyed / hated each along the way :)

The two tripods I currently have each have lever locks which each receive regular maintenance to ensure their best operation

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

5 years 4 days ago #636927 by Alfonso Camil
So any thoughts on why it seems there are so many more twist locks than lever?

Photo Comments
5 years 3 days ago #637051 by Ozzie_Traveller

Alfonso Camil wrote: So any thoughts on why it seems there are so many more twist locks than lever?

Probably because it's the cheapest system to make
Phil

5 years 3 days ago #637052 by Nikon Shooter
[quote="Ozzie_Traveller" post=637051Probably because it's the cheapest system to make Phil[/quote]

I would rather go for the linear and tool less adjustment, rapid
and safety of the twist lock — based on my years of experiences.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shadowfixer1
5 years 3 days ago #637053 by the four vignettes
I agree with Nikon Shooter.  I like twist locks better.  It's easier to _know_ they're secure.

5 years 3 days ago #637063 by Sandy Smith Photos
I prefer the lever locks myself.  Easier and more reliable.  

Photo Comments
5 years 3 days ago #637075 by Nikon Shooter

Sandy Smith Photos wrote: I prefer the lever locks myself.  Easier and more reliable.  

When a lever lock tripod leg gets lose — even by normal wear
and tear — the tripod is unreliable as long as the lock as not
been retightened. If one does not have the toll along…

Over time, twist locks will wear a bit too but a simple quarter
turn will save the day. Rubber rings are very long lasting and
they work under the compression applied by the twist of the
lock. They are less prone to damage of any kind.

I prefer them because they are safe, reliable and quick.

Photo Comments
5 years 2 days ago #637295 by Fitch
I've never had a twist lock fail.  Honestly I can't say the one lever lock tripod I owned gave me any problems either.   But NikonShooter makes a good point, with the twist locks, all you need to do is turn further to offset aged parts.   Safer route if you ask me.  

Photo Comments
5 years 1 day ago #637344 by Sharna Lee
Honestly, I've not paid much attention to the locks on my tripod.  They are twisty ones though.  Never any issues. 

Photo Comments
5 years 1 day ago #637345 by Nikon Shooter
Just hit me…

Twist locks are way faster and more quiet in the wild!

Photo Comments
5 years 23 hours ago #637442 by Toby J
My first trip which was a Manfrotto had lever locks for the legs.   My current tripod 3 legged thing has twisty locks.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Smartphone photos have come a long way in recent years. With their increase in quality comes the ability to create large prints. Learn why canvas is a great option for your phone photos!

Mar 29, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024