Group photo goes bad, client not happy

5 years 1 month ago #636945 by Jacob Fisher
Last month an insurance company hired me to take a group photo of their team.  This took place at the company owners home where he had a party going on and most of his people had been drinking already.  So when I got everyone together for this 58 people group, getting everyones attention proved to be very difficult considering many were clearly drunk already.  Or at least on their way.  

So to make a long story short, it wasn't till afterwards that it was noticed there were 7 people in the photo making either goofy smiles or just not looking at the camera.  

The client, is not happy and I have a scheduled meeting with him on Tuesday. 

Can I ask how you would handle this?  I spent 50 minutes alone on trying to get everyone put together for this shot.  I even warned him that we should do this photo in the start.  But he opted that I can handle his people, plus, let them "get warmed up".

I warned him.  As I see it, this isn't my fault.  I just want to get outside perspective.  So your opinion would be greatly appreciated.  

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #636991 by Harrison J
Seems to me, he should be speaking to his employees.  You're a photographer, a professional, not a babysitter.  If his employees can't act like adults for 2 minutes for a photo, that isn't your problem.  

Sorry I have a low tolerance for stuff like this.   

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #637036 by garyrhook
Gently remind your client that there was some discussion beforehand regarding procedure. And that your expectation was that everyone would fully cooperate (being adults and all).

Given that the staff was a bit too loosened up, per the client's direction, and did not cooperate, how would the client like to proceed?

Wait for them to ask for a free re-shoot, and ask how they arrived at the conclusion that that seems reasonable? I.e. you're going to have to get him to back himself into a corner and admit this is all on him. Good luck.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #637049 by Owen

garyrhook wrote: Gently remind your client that there was some discussion beforehand regarding procedure. And that your expectation was that everyone would fully cooperate (being adults and all).

Given that the staff was a bit too loosened up, per the client's direction, and did not cooperate, how would the client like to proceed?

Wait for them to ask for a free re-shoot, and ask how they arrived at the conclusion that that seems reasonable? I.e. you're going to have to get him to back himself into a corner and admit this is all on him. Good luck.

OMG no kidding great advice!  I wouldn't blow up, remain calm and get them talking.  They will likely see that this was no on you, but partially their fault for not setting clear expectations with their staff.  They will likely come to their senses and hopefully, make a suggestion that doesn't include a free shoot.  

Photo Comments
5 years 4 weeks ago #637064 by icepics
How was this contracted? Were you taking photos of their event/party? Was there a specific time planned for a group shot? I don't see any way around a reshoot, the photo is probably not usable.

Hopefully he will realize doing a group photo at a party where employees would be drinking should've been done shortly after the party started. It would have been up to him to make sure his staff arrived in time for the group photo. For future reference it seems like it would help to learn more about how to do a large group shoot so it doesn't take so long to get everyone gathered and set up.

Hope you can work it out.

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024