Organized Photography Walks going on in Southern California?

5 years 2 weeks ago #637507 by Frost Photography
Any decent photography walks going on during next few months?  Speaking of which, where are you guys finding these at?  I tried Google, but that just showed old ones.  Which of course doesn't do me any good.  Would be fun to attend some this summer.  

It feels like spring out today, and I have an urge to get out and shoot with others.  Strange association, but that's what I was thinking, so I'll ask. 

"The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera."
Photo Comments
5 years 2 weeks ago #637521 by Roy Wilson
Usually these sort of things are posted on MeetUp groups or camera stores, clubs will start promoting.  You might want check with workshops as well, they will announce from time to time too.  

Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, 40D, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L Mark II, 24-105 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85 1.8, 4 x 580 EX(II)
Photo Comments
5 years 2 weeks ago #637529 by Tim Wiener
+1 Meetup groups

Photo Comments
5 years 2 weeks ago #637567 by garyrhook
You can start with Meetup. Also, find clubs nearby and see if they have open events on their websites.

I have one scheduled for Apr. 6 for my club, but I'm not located in that time zone.

Photo Comments
5 years 2 weeks ago #637608 by Colorado Mike
I went on a couple photo walks and honestly find them to be boring and more just for socializing.  They weren't that bad, however would have been more fun if there were more photo taking opportunities.  

That's just my experience.  

Photo Comments
5 years 2 weeks ago #637610 by Frost Photography
Looking at Meetup app as we speak.

Out of curiosity, how many of photo walks did you attend in 2018?

"The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera."
Photo Comments
5 years 2 weeks ago #637621 by garyrhook
I attended 3 organized by someone else. Probably 2-3 this year, depending upon my schedule and how tired I am (they are usually on Saturday morning).

Re: the comment above. The whole point of a walk is to take photos. Did you just listen to a lecture? The organizer should be actively mentioning things (not just taking their own photos, or talking) and taking note of what folks are doing, drawing attention to what others have seen. IMO, of course.

For our first outing (brand new club) we are having our walk on Saturday, and our monthly meeting will be two days later. Folks are encouraged to share 1-2 images to look at in the meeting (although I may push that to 3). The more, the better.

We'll likely keep to that format for the future.

Photo Comments
5 years 2 weeks ago #637681 by CatherineW
1.  Check with camera shops, even the smaller ones
2. Photography MeetUp groups, there's an app for this
3. Check with workshop operators, sometimes the organize photography walks to get new people in the door.
4. Photography clubs will often post news of photo walks on their site. 
5. Photo and camera expos will usually have something going on 
6. ASK other photographers in the area you are in or would like to head to

***Remember 9/11***
Photo Comments
5 years 2 weeks ago #637682 by GaryA
Hey Frost-

There is ALWAYS something happening in SoCal.  From the mountains to the beach there is ALWAYS someplace different to shoot.  While I am certainly not organized in any manner ... if you don't want to shoot alone, PM me, if available, we can meet up and shoot either an event or a location.

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024