Buy whats available NOW or wait for new camera release?

5 years 3 weeks ago #637558 by Brody Kross
Assuming you existing camera didn't just die and you need to buy a replacement right now. And there is no crazy sale going on. Generally speaking, will you put off buying a new camera in hopes for something new coming on the horizon...  Or buy what is currently on the shelf and ready to go?

5 years 3 weeks ago - 5 years 3 weeks ago #637559 by garyrhook
It's a tool, and you use it to solve a problem. Buy what meets your needs, now.

Unless it's a Leica M-9. Then you just buy it as a fashion statement.

Photo Comments
5 years 3 weeks ago #637573 by Brody Kross

garyrhook wrote: It's a tool, and you use it to solve a problem. Buy what meets your needs, now.

ha ha ha, good answer.  Are you a Leica M-9 owner?

5 years 3 weeks ago #637618 by garyrhook

Brody Kross wrote:

garyrhook wrote: It's a tool, and you use it to solve a problem. Buy what meets your needs, now.

Oh, sweet baby Jesus, no. I can only afford practical tools.

Photo Comments
5 years 3 weeks ago #637626 by Nikon Shooter
Better miss the next release than all those next pictures!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 3 weeks ago #637634 by GaryA
If you already have a decent camera ... then wait for the latest & greatest.  If you are without camera, buy immediately, do not pass Go and do not collect $200.

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

5 years 3 weeks ago #637645 by Sean Lamber
I'll buy as need comes up.  I'm not one to wait in lines to get the latest.  

Photo Comments
5 years 3 weeks ago #637685 by jeffnles1
Is there something that your current camera won't do that a new camera will?  If so, how much better and is it worth the price?

I'm debating this very thing now.  I have a Nikon D7200 and a pretty big investment in glass ranging from macro to wide angle to telephoto.  I don't want to sell it for yard sale prices so I'm pretty well attached to Nikon.  The Z6 and Z7 interest me.  The Z6 is more my speed not only because of price but as a Wildlife photographer, I think the lower light performance of the Z6 would better meet my style. 

However, the question in my mind is what will that camera do that mine can't?  The answer is very little.  Silent shutter is a nice to have for wildlife.  The EVF may or may not be a plus, I haven't used one enough to say yes or no.  I'd rent before buy just to get a few days experience with it. 

Will Full Frame "revolutionize" my photography?  No,  In fact, for a lot of my wildlife shots, the narrower angle of view with telephotos and a crop sensor may in fact be preferable.  I'd have to go to the Z7 to get similar pixel density in crop mode as I get now with the D7200.

If I look at the question from logic, there is little that would make me move from a system that is meeting my needs to a new one.  However, logic and need rarely outpace "want".  

I'm going to either wait til the D7200 bites the dust or give it a couple more years to shake out where the mirrorless thing is going.

Jeff

5 years 3 weeks ago #637790 by Brody Kross

garyrhook wrote:

Brody Kross wrote:

Oh, sweet baby Jesus, no. I can only afford practical tools.

Ha!  good answer!  Yeah, I would have a tough time justifying the cost of a Leica when you consider so many other options for far less.  

5 years 3 weeks ago #637815 by fmw

Brody Kross wrote: Assuming you existing camera didn't just die and you need to buy a replacement right now. And there is no crazy sale going on. Generally speaking, will you put off buying a new camera in hopes for something new coming on the horizon...  Or buy what is currently on the shelf and ready to go?

Common sense says that waiting for a new model is a never ending process.  There will always be new models.

Photo Comments
5 years 3 weeks ago #637895 by Uplander
Very rarely will I buy what is brand new, usually new stuff released has a number of firmware updates.  Wait a bit, let others work out all the bugs with the manufacture.  

Photo Comments
5 years 3 weeks ago #637905 by KCook
  • Generally speaking, will you put off buying a new camera in hopes for something new coming on the horizon
Noooo.  I usually put off buying a new camera in hopes that time will lower the *&^%$# price.

cheapskate

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

5 years 3 weeks ago #637943 by Dave Worton
I never understood the impulsive urge some people have to run out and buy something that has just hit the market.  I get it, if you need it then buy it.  However to buy just to have it first?  I'll pass.  

Photo Comments
5 years 3 weeks ago #638062 by Vladimir
Like those people who will wait days camped out in front of Apple?  LMAO!!!  Not ever.  Way to much time on their hands.  

Photo Comments
5 years 2 weeks ago #638397 by Foxy Girl
When it comes to tech, always wait.  Now purses and other fashion accessories, I've been guilty to run at something that just came onto the market.   :whistle:

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024