It happened... I need your advice.

5 years 3 weeks ago #637802 by Nefarious
Yesterday, my brother in law sent me this text:

Now I understand cameras are just objects, things that can be replaced with $$.  But still there is a bit of awkwardness to getting asked to use your camera, forget that it's out of country in a party city!

I don't think I would ever ask to borrow someones camera.  I sent him text stating that I am using my gear, and that this was not possible at the time.  

Especially today, when most cell phones are going to do a great job for the traveler.  I know he has an iPhone too.  

How do you respond to this when asked?  

Photo Comments
Attachments:
5 years 3 weeks ago #637807 by Nikon Shooter

Nefarious wrote: Yesterday, my brother in law sent me this text… How do you respond to this when asked?  

You're right, it's only a thing but your relation to the brother in law
and his income will make the whole difference in this matter.

If nothing happens, you're both happy. If, on the contrary…

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 3 weeks ago #637819 by Deb Reardon
OMG, I hate being asked to use my camera.  Cameras have gotten inexpensive, at least for entry level.   I leant out one of my older cameras some time ago, and honestly wont' do it again.  I had a tiny scratch on it from the person who borrowed it.  Seriously had I done the scratch, I wouldn't have even thought about it.  But I didn't. In all reality it was so tiny.  I don't know, this is so tough to talk about.  I don't mean to sound full of it, but my camera gear and I have a special bond. I'm sure that must sound really wacky, but it's the best I can do.  

In short, I don't lend my gear any more.   

5 years 3 weeks ago - 5 years 3 weeks ago #637821 by GaryA
This is really a sticky wicket and can be a quite complex, definitely a rabbit hole.

In a nutshell, it is all about relationships:

1) Your relationship to your sister and her husband (assuming 'sister');
2) Your relationship to material goods (= money).

And your priorities/ethics/morals/love in these relationships. (In my book the ball's in your court as they have already played their cards and now you have to decide on your priorities/ethics/morals/love and what trumps what. 

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

5 years 3 weeks ago #637822 by Troponin
That's a big fat no. Just tell him you don't lend any of your equipment to anyone and that renting is probably his best option. 

This never ends well. 

Photo Comments
5 years 3 weeks ago #637824 by Troponin
So, I MIGHT have one circumstance that I would allow someone to use my camera...

Two folks in my life are professional photographers. One shoots weddings, the other shoots whatever. He's good at everything. Both are set financially for the most part, and have more integrity than most. If one were to come to me and say "My camera is down, backup is down, and the shoot is tomorrow...", I might consider this. 

For a leisurely trip? No, they can plan and invest in that themselves. It's an additional $150 to rent a set up for the week.

Photo Comments
5 years 3 weeks ago - 5 years 3 weeks ago #637826 by GaryA

Troponin wrote: That's a big fat no. Just tell him you don't lend any of your equipment to anyone and that renting is probably his best option. 

This never ends well. 

Okay, my answer.  If my sister and B-I-L asked to borrow anything it would boil down to the character of my sister and B-I-L.  If my sister and B-I-L were of low character, wronged me in the past (lied/cheated/stole/et cetera from me or others), were not trustworthy ... then no.  If my sister and B-I-L were of good character, then yeah. 

In my book Love trumps Material Goods (money).  Honoring their request to use my precious camera would be more important than the cost of the camera.  Yes, it would be extremely painful should the camera come back damaged ... yes, I would have sleepless nights wondering if they're taking proper care of my baby.  But that is what love is all about, putting another persons well-being above yourself.  If they were of good character, they, in return, would take every precaution to insure the camera's safe return. 

Assumptions: 
1) This is a special vacation (which is why they're requesting to borrow a nice camera);
2) They are on a budget, otherwise they'd purchase their own camera;
3) They desire to capture the best memories of their trip possible (not on a cell phone), see #1.

An alternative is to get them a nice Point & Shoot, especially a water-proof camera they can take into the waves/pool. 

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.

5 years 3 weeks ago #637827 by Troponin

GaryA wrote:

Troponin wrote: That's a big fat no. Just tell him you don't lend any of your equipment to anyone and that renting is probably his best option. 

This never ends well. 

Okay, my answer.  If my sister and B-I-L asked to borrow anything it would boil down to the character of my sister and B-I-L.  If my sister and B-I-L were of low character, wronged me in the past (lied/cheated/stole/et cetera from me or others), were not trustworthy ... then no.  If my sister and B-I-L were of good character, then yeah. 

In my book Love trumps Material Goods (money).  Honoring their request to use my precious camera would be more important than the cost of the camera.  Yes, it would be extremely painful should the camera come back damaged ... yes, I would have sleepless nights wondering if they're taking proper care of my baby.  What that is what love is all about.  If they were of good character, they, in return, would take every precaution to insure the camera's safe return. 

Assumptions: 
1) This is a special vacation (which is why they're requesting to borrow a nice camera);
2) They are on a budget, otherwise they'd purchase their own camera;
3) They desire to capture the best memories of their trip possible (not on a cell phone), see #1.

An alternative is to get them a nice Point & Shoot, especially a water-proof camera they can take into the waves/pool. 

One good option, IMO. 

www.borrowlenses.com/product/Sony-Cyber-shot-RX10-III

Waterproof gets expensive to rent because the less expensive ones aren't worth renting. You end up with high end items if you look to rent those. 

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: GaryA
5 years 3 weeks ago #637869 by Stanly
I would just be straight up and let them know I needed the camera for that timeframe. I’m the same way though… Never lend out anything.

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
5 years 3 weeks ago #637873 by garyrhook
Easy answer here: "no".

Unless someone has experience with similar equipment, why would I trust them? The likelihood of anything being returned in its original condition is almost zero.

Unless someone opens with "I have a very strict 'I break it, I buy it' policy", why would I trust them to replace anything lost or damaged?

Pushback? Depending upon what he does for a living, ask if he'd loan a piece of equipment out to someone that had no experience. Probably wouldn't get through to him.

They're going to Cancun? Suggest they rent or buy.

"I don't loan my equipment out to anyone, ever."

Photo Comments
5 years 3 weeks ago #637885 by Jerrid
Sorry, don't mean to be a butt wipe, but there is no way in h-e-l-l, I would let anyone use my camera gear regardless if they could afford to replace it or not.  I don't want to be put in the position to collect.

Photo Comments
5 years 3 weeks ago #637894 by Overread
I’m a bit of a wise ass with my family so I can be brutally upfront with them. I would ask him what’s wrong with his iPhone.  I think The iPhone is plenty good for 85% of the people out there.

Photo Comments
5 years 3 weeks ago #637909 by garyrhook

Jerrid wrote: Sorry, don't mean to be a butt wipe, but there is no way in h-e-l-l, I would let anyone use my camera gear regardless if they could afford to replace it or not.  I don't want to be put in the position to collect.

Sidebar: No one needs permission to say "no". Ever. A request does not imply acquiescence, despite what some may want/think.

Photo Comments
5 years 3 weeks ago #637928 by Nefarious
Well I'm happy to see others feeling the same as I did!  

Speaking of all of this, has there ever been an occasion when you let someone use your camera?

Photo Comments
5 years 3 weeks ago #638030 by GaryA

Nefarious wrote: Well I'm happy to see others feeling the same as I did!  

Speaking of all of this, has there ever been an occasion when you let someone use your camera?

From family to friends ... yes.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024