Polar Pro Variable ND filter - Peter Mckinnon Edition

1 month 3 weeks ago #656900 by garyrhook

Sanford wrote: Are these made by same company that makes Break Through  Filters? 

Aside from the fact that they look nothing alike, where did you get this idea?

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 month 2 weeks ago #657779 by Deb Reardon

garyrhook wrote:

Sanford wrote: Are these made by same company that makes Break Through  Filters? 

Most likely from other Polar Pro and Break Through filters do kind of look alike.  They have same rough grip rings.  Just a guess as I have Break Through filters and a good friend has Polar Pro ones and they do have some similar features.  

1 month 2 weeks ago #657785 by Shadowfixer1

Steve Zahra wrote: Nice filter, but priced high.  Likely to cover royalty check to Peter.  

Nail. Head. Nuff said.

1 month 2 weeks ago #657967 by Conner
Way over priced, there are plenty of options out there for far less $$ with no compromise in quality.  

Photo Comments

1 month 2 weeks ago #658009 by effron
I don't even like variable ND filters, I'll stick with my Lee system....

Why so serious?
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments

1 month 1 week ago #658109 by Soccer Mom

effron wrote: I don't even like variable ND filters, I'll stick with my Lee system....

The problem is there is always some sort of color/tint mishaps.  Better off using solid ND's. 

Canon 7D, 18-55mm, 55-250mm, 70-200mm L f/2.8, 100mm and 17-55mm f/2.8
Photo Comments

1 month 1 week ago #658171 by garyrhook

Deb Reardon wrote:

garyrhook wrote:

Most likely from other Polar Pro and Break Through filters do kind of look alike.  They have same rough grip rings.  Just a guess as I have Break Through filters and a good friend has Polar Pro ones and they do have some similar features.  

Why would any company create a completely different line of products, wildly different in their makeup, to compete with an existing line? Wouldn't it make more sense to build on a single brand (like BT does with the X2 and X4 models, or Formatt-Hitech does with Firecrest/Firecrest Ultra)? As for similarities, one could say that about all filters. To me it looks like the two products are clearly different, nubbies on the ring notwithstanding.

From what I've observed, shared manufacturing tends to produce products that are much more recognizably identical. Not just similar in some ways.

Of course, I've always thought that Mercury cars were a silly idea, when they're really just ugly Fords. What do I know?

Photo Comments

1 month 1 week ago #658202 by Alex
Gary... I was on a call with a client and just about lost it with

"Of course, I've always thought that Mercury cars were a silly idea, when they're really just ugly Fords"

My mother back in the day had a Mercury Zephyr wagon and you are right... it was an ugly Ford.  Actually that car was just ugly regardless!  

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments

1 month 1 week ago #658362 by ThatNikonGuy
Aren't there tons of products white labeled for others to sell?   I wouldn't be surprised that all these filters are made by the same Chinese manufacture.  

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony a9 might be a couple of years old now, but as we demonstrate in this Sony a9 review, it is still one of the best cameras in its class, particularly when it comes to its autofocus capabilities.

Oct 08, 2019

The Canon EOS M200 is coming soon, and if you're interested in upgrading from your phone to a traditional camera, this one might just be for you.

Oct 02, 2019

In this Canon EOS 6D Mark II review, learn about this camera's essential specs, features, and pros and cons so you can determine if it's the right camera for you.

Sep 27, 2019

In this iMovR Lander Lite desk review, learn about the build quality, features, durability, and technology that make it one of the best standing desks on the market today.

Sep 27, 2019

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Photo by American Airlines Airports in the United States are getting new CT scanners that are supposed to make the process of running through TSA really...

Oct 22, 2019

Camera gear insurance is a must-have if you're a professional photographer. But what do all the terms mean? What kinds of policies are available? Who and what can be covered? Find out in this photography insurance primer!

Oct 22, 2019

Photo by 🇸🇮 Janko Ferlič - @specialdaddy on Unsplash In an era where Nest security cameras are constantly being barraged by...

Oct 19, 2019

With these photography tips, you'll be able to advance your abilities beyond beginner level and start to develop a workflow that results in better photos.

Oct 17, 2019

With these essential street photography tips, you'll learn some essential guidelines for making your street photography outings a success.

Oct 17, 2019

Photo by Diana Măceşanu on Unsplash Steve Fines is used to using his drone to capture gorgeous aerial photos. But, when a...

Oct 17, 2019

I've had the Haida M10 filter system for about a week now, and first impressions are that it is a high-quality, well-built kit that could very well become my go-to filter kit.

Oct 16, 2019

Shooting your very first wedding? Minimize the stress and maximize your preparedness with these essential wedding photography tips for amateurs.

Oct 16, 2019