Camera for long sea kayaking trip

5 years 2 weeks ago #638788 by Todd Floyd
7 of my friends and I in a in 5 weeks will take our kayaks from Cocoa Beach down to Miami Beach around the tip of Florida and go up the west coast up to Tampa before calling it quits.  We'll be sleeping in our tents on various beaches along the way.   What I'm not sure about is my camera set up.   I have a Nikon D800 and Sony a6000.  I'd like to bring my D800 but concerned about already limited space.  Plus to make the D800 water proof, well, then it get's really bulky.

I was hoping to get some perspective here.  If you were to do a trip like this where you're going to be in a small watercraft with limited space and need to waterproof what ever you bring, what would you do?

Thanks a lot!

Todd

Photo Comments
5 years 2 weeks ago #638891 by KCook
A underwater compact camera?

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

5 years 2 weeks ago #638942 by Harrison J
This trip has GoPro written all over it.  Look at the HERO6 or HERO7. 

Photo Comments
5 years 2 weeks ago #638949 by GaryA
Kelly and Harrison nailed it.  Have you taken on long hiking/kayaking trips before?  Weight quickly becomes a concern which will affect you 24/7.  Go as small and light as you can with everything.  Most camera makers make small, water-proof, tough, Point & Shoots or a GoPro. The GoPro has accessories to hang the camera off your chest/head/et al.  

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

5 years 2 weeks ago #638954 by Toby J
Not sure  if the release date of this camera will work with your trip, however a GoPro alternative you'll want to strongly consider is the brand new Sony rxo ii  https://www.sony.com/electronics/cyber-shot-compact-cameras/dsc-rx0m2

Photo Comments
5 years 2 weeks ago #639013 by Inez Villarin
That Sony will be interesting, especially if they can keep the heat under  control. 

Photo Comments
5 years 2 weeks ago #639125 by Glen Martin
+GoPro 

Photo Comments
5 years 2 weeks ago #639230 by Ted Helm
Sony IMO will give you much better image quality than the GoPro. 

Photo Comments
5 years 2 weeks ago #639302 by Todd Floyd
Where are you guys finding out when that Sony is going to be in stock?  

Photo Comments
5 years 2 weeks ago #639346 by Steve Zahra
WOW that sounds like an awesome trip!  Do you have a set schedule set for each day?  Smart doing now before hurricane season which starts in June or July.  I wish I had the spare time for something like this.  

Yes, that Sony will be a good match for you.  

Photo Comments
5 years 2 weeks ago #639414 by Frost Photography
Todd you have everyone here jealous, this definitely will be a fun trip.  My opinion, a GoPro will be a very good option, however that Sony will be a better option.  Better yet, there's another camera that might be fun to have on something like this and that's the Insta360.  I'm just not sure if it's waterproof.  Which if not, then 100% one of the other 2.  

"The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera."
Photo Comments
5 years 1 week ago #639487 by Ted Baker
Insta360 is waterproof 

Photo Comments
5 years 1 week ago #639522 by Foggy
It's more like if I was in shape and younger I would be all over something like this.   BTW the Insta360 requires a waterproof case in order to go into water.  Memory cards and battery are otherwise exposed.  

Photo Comments
5 years 1 week ago #639611 by Ted Baker

Foggy wrote: It's more like if I was in shape and younger I would be all over something like this.   BTW the Insta360 requires a waterproof case in order to go into water.  Memory cards and battery are otherwise exposed.  

My mistake, thank you for correcting!  I thought it was sealed up.  

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #642345 by Todd Floyd
Ordered and on it's way.  Thanks again for all the help! 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024