Olympus OMD E-M1X, Nikon Z6, Nikon Z7 or Canon EOS R

4 years 11 months ago #639525 by J Photo Man
When you look at mirrorless cameras that have been released in the last 6 months or so, what is your opinion on who takes the cake?  

I'm currently using a Nikon D700 and looking to make a move to mirrorless.  I'm leaning towards Z6 or Z7, the EOS R looks intercepting and then out of the blue, I started getting interested in the OMD E-M1X.

Which has you most excited   

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #639550 by spudalicious
I'm not sure about who takes the cake but, I will say that I have been thoroughly enjoying shooting mirrorless.  I have come to rely on the mirrorless "perks and feature set" that I'm certain you have already researched.

Disclaimer:   I currently shoot M43 - I'm happy with it.  

If I were in your position, I would probably have two big factors playing in my brain.   The first being, sensor size.    The M1x is a mighty fine rig but, it may not have the high ISO performance that your flavor of photography demands.   I have not researched this personally, but that may be something to check into if you do a lot of astro/concert/low light fast shutter speed photography.

The second consideration that would go through my mind would be, maturity of product.   The Z6 and Z7 are early platforms for mirrorless from Nikon as is the Canon EOS-R.    If buying in the very near future, it is worth taking into account that Olympus has been in the mirrorless game for quite a few years now.   They have ironed out many many of the little kinks and perfected IBIS while they were at it.  If we are talking a year or two down the road, the Canon and Nikon mirrorless platforms will have had a chance to do the same and puts them on a level playing field in this category.

I wish you the best with your mirrorless endeavors.   Happy photographing!

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #639583 by garyrhook
You raise more than one issue.

What excites me is irrelevant to anyone else. I'm a Nikon shooter, and have no plans/needs to change systems. At this point, even if someone funded that change, I wouldn't.

The Z system is too new. I don't "early adopt" so it will be a while. I'll be adding a new body soon, and it will be a D850.

The Canon system is not getting much love, AFAIK.

Lots of folks love the Oly system.

Honestly: the D700 is a nice camera, and remains very capable. Any more modern sensor is going to be a step up in performance, so that aspect is moot. Is it the weight that is a problem? Larger mirrorless lenses are still going to be heavy.

Or am I missing something?

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #639602 by Shadowfixer1
Since you already have Nikon gear, The Z6 or Z7 make the most sense. The Canon appears to be a very good camera but is handicapped as far as DR and a few other things. A lot of people swear by the Canon color science. The Olympus E-M1X is a specialty camera. It is built more for sports, action and wildlife. If you don't shoot a lot of action, you would be better served by the E-M1MKII. It uses the same sensor and most everything else and is $1400 cheaper. It doesn't have the handheld high res function but it does have a high res function but limited to a tripod. They both have Pro Capture which is awesome for catching the decisive moment. One of the best that you didn't mention is the Sony A7III. A very good camera for the price. Lenses are pricey but third party makers are beginning to come through. Good luck in your choice.  
4 years 11 months ago #639605 by Tanner Bello
Isn't Nikon and Canon been busy with releasing firmware updates? 

LOL no mention of Sony.  

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #639613 by garyrhook

Tanner Bello wrote: Isn't Nikon and Canon been busy with releasing firmware updates? 

LOL no mention of Sony.  

Nikon rarely releases FW updates. Certainly not for new features, AFAIK.

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #639616 by Tanner Bello

garyrhook wrote:

Tanner Bello wrote: Isn't Nikon and Canon been busy with releasing firmware updates? 

LOL no mention of Sony.  

Well I was way off then.  :rofl:

I seriously thought I heard that both Nikon and Canon had been running around to update their recent cameras.  

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #639638 by KCook
The new FF ML are exciting. I like my Oly E-M5, but at the E-M1X price level I would want FF. I'm most interested in the FF Panasonic L-mount line. But "interested" is as far as I will ever get, they are priced beyond this hobby guy. For FF I would be more likely to pick up a used Canon 6D DSLR or Sony a7ii ML.

I worry more about maturity of company than maturity of product. All of these companies have been at this long enough to get it right. The only thing that holds me back from being an early adapter is the price tags. I usually wait for cameras to hit the used market.

Reviewers are dumping on the Canons, but pros using them are not.

In theory at least FF ML lenses could be a little lighter than FF DSLR lenses. Of course once in a while theory lets us down.

For those who have never, ever, tried ML, the big change is AF. I much prefer ML AF to the AF on my DSLR. No doubt diehard DSLR fans will disagree. Except for firesale bargains, I'm done with DSLR.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #639642 by GaryA
What ... Fuji is chopped liver ...?

I went from FF dSLRs to MFT ... (I kept my FF gear for stuff I though required FF.)  I was shooting OMD’s when I chanced upon a XP1.  I thought it was sooooo sexy that even though I knew nothing about the camera and I never shot a Fuji camera of any kind ... I bought it, based purely on how it looked around my neck and felt in my hand.  (Okay, I’m shallow ...)  The XP1 was a dog, it was slow. It auto focused slow, it wrote slow, it updated slow, it performed everything slow. But it delivered one hell of an image.  To my eye the image was the closest digital image I had seen comparable to film, closer to film than my FF Canons and much much closer than my Oly’s. Then I discovered Fuji’s lenses.  Fuji XF lenses, in both build and IQ, were equal to my ‘L’ lenses.  The XP1 was first generation Fuji mirrorless.  Fuji is now on its third generation cameras and they’re lightening fast.  Another thing I appreciate are all the firmware updates.  The updates are free and regular... hell, Fuji even updated the firmware of cameras which are out of production.  (Who does that?)

Take a look at Fuji, great lenses and film-esque images.

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

4 years 11 months ago #639686 by garyrhook

Tanner Bello wrote:

garyrhook wrote:

LOL no mention of Sony.  

Well I was way off then.  :rofl:

I seriously thought I heard that both Nikon and Canon had been running around to update their recent cameras.  

I can't comment on Canon; I don't pay attention. As for Nikon, I stated "rarely" for a reason. They are rumored, for example to put out a D850 update that makes the XQD slot support CFE. I hope that's true, as IMNSHO XQD is the new Memory Stick.  #againwiththeeyerolls

Large amounts of data require high speed media, but so far, UHS-II appears to be adequate for 4K. The best thing about XQD/CFE is that they are PCI devices.

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #639833 by Miss Polly
Tough question.  

I want to say Nikon because  the Z6 and Z7 are just incredible, Canon get's much love for the R Series and the number of cameras they have coming out.  

Sony is just old blood here and doing a continued great job. 

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #639926 by Prago
Man, any of those cameras are pretty darn sweet if you ask me.  Nikon stepped up their game with the Z series, and Canon with their EOS R, Olympus and FujiFilm are just stepping up their action too.  Things are looking strong IMO for us photographers.  

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #640068 by Kenta
I'll take any of these cameras.  What's funny is I had been thinking about the Z6, but that Olympus is getting some very good reviews.  I've never owned a Olympus, who knew! 

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #640081 by KCook
Olympus was well established back in the film era. The 35mm SLR that I ended up with was an Oly OM2n. Unfortunately Oly switched to the 4/3 sensor size for their digital cameras. A decision that put them behind the APS-C brands.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

4 years 11 months ago #640173 by Alvin Pignotti
Now here's something I'm a bit curious about.  Nikon and Canon have always been neck and neck from a marketing standpoint and technology.  Why didn't Canon jump on the XQD card slots like Nikon did?  

I get that it was Sony and Nikon are the creators of this tech, but you would think Canon would want to get on this speedy card .  Right?

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024