Buy lenses that cost more than your camera body

4 years 11 months ago #639619 by Mike McKinnon
I just dropped $3000 on a 28-70mm f/2  for my Canon EOS R. 

Am I wrong to feel a bit WTH?  (with a smile though)

The EOS R was $2200 and once you have the body, you want the basic focal lengths that go with this lens.  BAM!  They get you.  :rofl:

I'm saying this all with a smile, and having a little fun to distract me from what I just spent.  Seriously though, I can't wait to get it!  It would be cool that these lenses were a little less on price.  But you get what you pay for right?

I do wonder if these EOS R lenses cost more to make than other Canon glass?  

4 years 11 months ago #639620 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Mike

It's the old story - "if money's no object - then spend as much as you like" ... especially if you can create some income from it to cover the expense

However, for most / many of us, we [need to] subscribe to the other story ... "always buy the best that you can afford, and can justify that spending by using it to its best advantage"

If the latter means buying either a 'commercial' lens rather than a 'professional' calibre lens, =or= an item from an alternate lens company matters not. You still end up with the best you can afford

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

4 years 11 months ago #639623 by Mike McKinnon
Oh money IS an object!  ha ha ha

Yes, I saved my coins up for some time to get this baby.  

4 years 11 months ago #639624 by Nikon Shooter
Good wisdom in Phil's post!

I am now in position to get what ever I need — not what I want, NEED —
but I always spent more on lenses than bodies.

Waaaay back, I bought a used lenses to mount in on my Nikkormat bodies.
I was possibly the last kid to get hold of the F2 but then the lenses I had.

Invest in lenses as they will last much longer,

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #639631 by GaryA
Yep, the ol' printer business plan ... sell the printer cheap ... then stick 'em on the ink.

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

4 years 11 months ago #639639 by Moe
Look at it this way, you have yourself a killer lens there! As soon as that box comes in the mail you will forget about how much it cost

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #639643 by Mike McKinnon
Oh yeah, Canon is my pal right now.  Now all they need to do is get my new toy to me quickly! 

4 years 11 months ago #639663 by garyrhook

GaryA wrote: Yep, the ol' printer business plan ... sell the printer cheap ... then stick 'em on the ink.

Not a good analogy. Lenses aren't consumables.

I would guess that lens manufacturing is more expensive then electronics, and that lenses are somewhat of a cash cow. You have to have them, and since they have such a long life (practically eternal?) you likely get to sell that particular product to a single customer one time. They likely won't be back for another (tragedy or backup equipment aside).

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #639676 by the four vignettes
Great glass can last you much longer than a body.  I have a 15ish year old AF-S 300mm which is still fast and puts out great images.  Although in some cases newer glass is clearly better.  It's just one of those "it depends" situations. 

The main thing is to go out and enjoy your new shiny toys.  =]

4 years 11 months ago #639798 by Finn
Stick with photography long and this won't be the last time this happens!  :rofl:

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #640133 by Alvin Pignotti
Raise your hand if you are guilty of doing the same.  :beerbang: :rofl:

4 years 11 months ago #640171 by NJ-Surf-Pix-
If I were to buy an EOS-R I would get the converter and just buy pre-owned EOS lenses.  I've never bought a new lens.  I don't see the point in buying new lenses when there is such a good supply of great pre-owned lenses to be had at a fraction of the cost.  You can risk it on eBay or you can buy from a reputable on-line camera shop like B&H or Adarama or others that give a good quality rating and give you a warranty on their pre-owned. 

4 years 11 months ago #640452 by Sawyer
I have a few lenses that cost more than my camera body.  Suck it up and get used to it.  :)

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024