Shooting your shots slightly underexposed

5 years 1 day ago #640691 by Zach Mosher
I always had a tough time with high contrast shots and recently started to shoot all my shots slight underexposed.  All my shots will cross through Lightroom and therefor get some edit work done.  I find I get more detail and better control of my highlights doing this way. 

But if this is remotely a good practice, then why aren't the manufactures building this into the exposure algorithms these cameras use?  

Photo Comments
5 years 1 day ago #640695 by Troponin

Zach Mosher wrote: I always had a tough time with high contrast shots and recently started to shoot all my shots slight underexposed.  All my shots will cross through Lightroom and therefor get some edit work done.  I find I get more detail and better control of my highlights doing this way. 

But if this is remotely a good practice, then why aren't the manufactures building this into the exposure algorithms these cameras use?  

Sony kind of did this and it drives me crazy. It’s anywhere from 1/2-2/3 of a stop low. Shadows can be just as harmful as highlights, especially in some areas of photography, like macro. I find that I can lose detail in dark hair (spiders), and in those tiny little spaces. For birds, the darker feathers can start causing issues too. 

At one time photogs “Exposed to the left” to get less highlights, but now that we have histograms, can see what is happening in the field,  and digital editing, a lot of photogs have gone the other direction and actually expose slightly right. 

Personally, I try to get as close to the correct exposure as possible, but will over/underexpose for certain shots

Photo Comments
5 years 1 day ago #640700 by GaryA
Your meter may be off ... you may have Exposure Compensation wrongly engaged ... or you may be metering incorrectly.

All light meters read for Medium Gray.  If you meter off a black wall, center the meter and make a print, it will come out medium gray.  If you meter off a white wall, center the meter and make a print, it will come out medium gray.  Using the meter as a guide, the photographer needs to adjust the camera settings to properly capture the desired reflective qualities of the scene (either actual or artistic). 

The meter is merely a guide.  Modern camera's meters are hooked to the camera's onboard computer which interprets the meter's medium gray readings and "automatically" makes adjustments, (right or wrong), which were previously allocated to the photographer. 

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

5 years 1 day ago #640704 by Nikon Shooter
This is an other reason why exif data is non significant.

Exposing films had the same tolerances, the ONLY important point
is, IMO, that you underexpose at will as long as the histogram (your
best friend at all times!) is good.

The STTR approach is passé with the later developments in cameras;
I teach the STTL so one has the best chance to protect the whites.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 1 day ago #640705 by Zach Mosher
I don't check my histogram till generally in Lightroom.  It seems to be begged a lot more in the center since I started going for the underexpose.  

Are you checking in camera or do you keep it on your LCD screen? 

Photo Comments
5 years 1 day ago #640706 by Zach Mosher

Troponin wrote:

Zach Mosher wrote: I always had a tough time with high contrast shots and recently started to shoot all my shots slight underexposed.  All my shots will cross through Lightroom and therefor get some edit work done.  I find I get more detail and better control of my highlights doing this way. 

Sony kind of did this and it drives me crazy. It’s anywhere from 1/2-2/3 of a stop low. Shadows can be just as harmful as highlights, especially in some areas of photography, like macro. I find that I can lose detail in dark hair (spiders), and in those tiny little spaces. For birds, the darker feathers can start causing issues too. 

At one time photogs “Exposed to the left” to get less highlights, but now that we have histograms, can see what is happening in the field,  and digital editing, a lot of photogs have gone the other direction and actually expose slightly right. 

Personally, I try to get as close to the correct exposure as possible, but will over/underexpose for certain shots

Didn't know that about the Sony's.  But the detail is easier to pull out from an underexposed area vs blown out.  I do agree, that the extremes are pretty much PITA regardless.  

So what sort of shots will you underexpose for?  Give me an example please.  

Photo Comments
5 years 1 day ago #640712 by Troponin

Zach Mosher wrote:

Troponin wrote:

Didn't know that about the Sony's.  But the detail is easier to pull out from an underexposed area vs blown out.  I do agree, that the extremes are pretty much PITA regardless.  

So what sort of shots will you underexpose for?  Give me an example please.  

As NS pointed out, a perfect time to underexpose slightly is when you’re dealing with whites, especially in your subject. I had a really long conversation with him on the topic and it was extremely helpful. His white bird shots are pretty killer. You should check them out if you haven’t seen them. 

Another situation that can call for underexposure is when dealing with backlighting. It’s not difficult to blow highlights and lose that nice glow affect. 

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: KCook
5 years 1 day ago #640717 by Nikon Shooter

Zach Mosher wrote: I don't check my histogram till generally in Lightroom. 

Forget Lr… it's all on the camera screen  — where a quick look
will confirm or infirm your exposure. Really your best friend.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 day ago #640727 by Zach Mosher

Nikon Shooter wrote:

Cool, thank you.

So do you have it showing on your photo preview screen? 

Photo Comments
5 years 1 day ago #640729 by Troponin

Zach Mosher wrote:

Nikon Shooter wrote:

Cool, thank you.

So do you have it showing on your photo preview screen? 

If there is only one thing on my screen, it’s the histogram. I have it turned on to view at all times. 

Photo Comments
5 years 1 day ago #640730 by Nikon Shooter

Zach Mosher wrote: So do you have it showing on your photo preview screen? 

I see my capture and the histogram… I wouldn't be bothered
with the first but the second, as Troponin suggests… a MUST.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 day ago #640731 by the four vignettes
If your camera is ISO invariant, then under exposing is much much preferred than over exposing. A lot ify Nikons are ISO invariant while a lot if Canons aren't.

YMMV

5 years 1 day ago #640735 by garyrhook
This is why we chimp.

Nonetheless, one must know how the image on the camera display translates to reality. And whether flagged highlights on the LCD are actually a problem. And how your sensor handles shadows. And whether each can be recovered/managed in post.

I'd rather deal with under- than overexposed any day. You can't recover data that's lost to blow-outs.

It all comes down to knowing your equipment and what can be accomplished in post.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 day ago #640758 by Troponin
I had just thought of this, but a couple other times I push my exposure up a bit is when I am photographing butterflies in shade (Some of my best shots!), and black ones that that will most likely end up under exposed because the rest of the scene is much lighter. Watch your meter though. If your camera has zebras, you can use those, otherwise, watch the histogram and make sure it’s not clipping. 

Photo Comments
5 years 18 hours ago #640838 by Chase Audate
Why not just use -1 or -2 exposure compensation and keep exposure set at center?

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024