I did a job in 2012 for this insurance company and now that want 11 more images

4 years 11 months ago #641188 by James L
They have made some changes to their office, staff and want me to edit 11 of the photos from that time frame.  Would you invoice them at a set dollar amount per image or fixed rate.  I'm not sure how long it will take me to post each of these shots, and 5 of the images are images that need complete post work as they originally didn't select those.  

How would you set this up?

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #641208 by Amy Porter
What is your normal hourly rate?  That's what I would charge them with some sort of minimum.  Seeing that you don't know how long this will take.  

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #641216 by Nikon Shooter

James L wrote: How would you set this up?

My workflow is setup to accommodate without a grimace and
from the archive any client and almost any request, in no time.

Sure, I will charge work and eventual out sourcing but I will do
fill the request quickly.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #641224 by garyrhook
You must have some idea as to how long it will take. At the very least, for some, based on previous work.

You should also have a pricing structure that supports you, and accommodates any necessary flexibility in the execution of the work. If not, you might think about that.

That said, per image. And you're charging for usage, too, right?

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #641380 by W Cage

garyrhook wrote: You must have some idea as to how long it will take. At the very least, for some, based on previous work.

You should also have a pricing structure that supports you, and accommodates any necessary flexibility in the execution of the work. If not, you might think about that.

That said, per image. And you're charging for usage, too, right?

I have plenty of clients who have just hired me and paid an hourly rate (my normal rate), and no usage rates.  So for the OP, they may not be charging, I know plenty of cases I've not charged for usage. Just saying  :)   

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #641514 by icepics
Seems like this would be extending usage of the previous contract since it's from the same series of photos you shot at the time. I don't think you'd charge by the amount of time it would take editing, you're licensing usage of commercial work.

That's the challenge with creative work, you're billing for the work which is a result of your experience, talent, expertise, etc. etc. not just how much time it takes to edit. I'd refer to it as providing 11 more photos, not just editing them if they didn't license usage of those before.

Try asmp.org or PPA for info. on contracts and licensing related to extended or further usage. There should be a specific purpose (how the photos will be used - website, marketing, brochures, ads in a local paper, etc.) and a specific timeframe (often 1  year).

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024