What type of lighting is this?

4 years 11 months ago #641195 by werunhollywood
Hey you guys,

I love the type of lighting that is used in this photo, it's like you can literally reach out and touch the person through the screen and feel the texture of their skin.  I can definitely tell that it's some type of side-lighting approach because of that nice three-dimensional form it creates and the way texture is revealed.

Would someone mind offering me an educated guess as to what type of lighting setup was most likely used for this advertisement?

Thank you guys I really appreciate it!!!

Attachments:
4 years 11 months ago #641220 by Nikon Shooter
No picture! :(

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #641331 by Troponin
I’ll do my best to tell you what I know with my limited experience. If anything, perhaps it bumps the thread for you and someone else can add better information. 

There are several aspects of lighting that can add depth and texture to an image. The angle of the light will create shadows. Shadows help create depth. Light distance, diffusion distance type, power level, will play a role in the “harshness” of the lighting. Many photogs will go for softer lighting. In this photo, the photog appears to have used a method of lighting that creates more highlights, but also adds some texture as a trade. It also gives the look of “Stage lighting”, is what the photographer most likely wanted. 

As for the type of lighting, my eye is not as experienced there. I can just tell that it was placed slightly over head to the models right side, creating Rembrandt lighting. 

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: werunhollywood
4 years 11 months ago #641332 by Nikon Shooter
On what picture are you commenting? I see none!!!

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #641335 by Shadowfixer1
I can see it and saw it when first posted. Not sure why you can't.
4 years 11 months ago #641343 by garyrhook
I can see it now, too. Couldn't yesterday.

Based on the catchlight, it's a beauty dish or small softbox. The shadows are not terribly soft, and those highlights are huge. Yes, the light is upper camera left.

There's probably a reflector on camera right for a bit of fill, but hard to say.

Not sure I'm a fan, and it's not clear what Mr. Ford is selling.

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #641344 by Nikon Shooter
Add blocker! Now I can see it!

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #641349 by Nikon Shooter
Considering the highlights, the shadows, and the wrap,
I don't think it was a soft light — aka beauty dish — nor
a fair size soft box (24"+).

I don't even think this is one but the usual 2 shots stacked:
one with a bare head (the little dot in the eyes) and the o-
ther possibly a small SB (seen in the eyes as well), both ca-
mera left. How else can be explained the much softer nose
shadow and the harsh one of the chin?

Not yet a Rembrandt lighting for sure.

I like the stronger graphic features approach of this, cool!

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #641367 by KCook
May be a fresnel lens.

justgussing

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

4 years 11 months ago #641391 by Nikon Shooter

KCook wrote: May be a fresnel lens. justgussing

I never worked with fresnel in such takes, does a fresnel
produce at the same time both soft and hard shadows?

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #641457 by KCook

Nikon Shooter wrote:

KCook wrote: May be a fresnel lens. justgussing

I never worked with fresnel in such takes, does a fresnel
produce at the same time both soft and hard shadows?

I'm not certain, I have not worked with a fresnel in many years.  Here is one article on them -

www.prophotonut.com/2008/08/30/fresnel-l...hts-retro-portraits/

A cheap way to simulate a fresnel is to use a grid with a narrow angle.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

4 years 11 months ago #641483 by werunhollywood
I definitely appreciate your response and all of these details that you summarized! Thank you once again.

4 years 11 months ago #641484 by werunhollywood
Thank you, I really appreciate your response!

4 years 11 months ago #641485 by werunhollywood
Thank you, I very much appreciate your reply!

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024