Free service or app to find stolen images?

4 years 11 months ago #641317 by Jessy Page
Can you recommend a free service or app that will allow me to search for stolen images?

Thank you

-J

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #641318 by garyrhook
I'm curious.

First off, do you really think you have a problem in this area?
If so, why, or how did you come to this conclusion?

That said, free? Probably not. tineye and pixsy both cost money. Meaning that your images should be valuable enough to be registered (in the US) and your copyright infringed in a way that you can recover damages.

I think tineye lets you search on one image at a time, for free.

But really: tell us more?

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #641322 by Jessy Page
It's not for me, a friend of mine thinks a company that hired her, where she did the work.  Didn't pay, and promised not to use her photos, did something that raised an eye with her, and popped up a few flags and may have used her photos for advertisements in over seas markets that apparently she just learned existed.  

She made an error for not getting paid in full before handing over the photos.  I just want to help her clear or confirm her theories. 

I've been to Google, and didn't find a clear answer, and thought I would ask here.  She came to me earlier asking to borrow money, she is in bad financial situation.  She told me her situation after I mentioned she should subscribe to TinEye or similar, and that's when she teared up and said she needed financial help, which was the reason she came to visit. 

She is a family friend and one that I would like to help.  If there are no free services, I will likely subscribe to TinEye for the time being.  

Thanks for the help. 

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #641345 by garyrhook
Your friend has learned a painful lesson. Unfortunate, and my sympathy. Corporate work sometimes means getting paid net 30 or net 90. But first off, you need a written contract.

If she has copies of the images, as i said, there's a free version of TinEye. Go to their home page and start searching.

If you can verify the images are being used, and it is a US company (i.e. same country as you're in) try to find a lawyer that will take the case on spec. Be sure to gather proof of their use as you go (screen shots, etc).

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #641350 by Robert Chen
Yep, that's a lesson you hate to hear because it's easy to avoid with the simple rule, no $$ no service.  Always have the contract laid out ahead of time as well.  

Tineye will be the best bet.  

Nikon D300 24-70mm f2.8
70-200mm f2.8
50mm f1.4 & 50mm f1.8
105mm f2.8
2 SB800

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024