When someone refuses to sign a contract

4 years 11 months ago #641422 by Paris Gal
Will you attempt to convince them to sign after you have had continuous "I don't sign contracts" said to you?  

I had a groom last Thursday not willing to sign and he wouldn't give a reason why.  Just that he never signs contracts "for these sort of things".  I asked why is that, it's there to protect you and me.  "Oh, I just don't sign these, never have".  

How would you handle these?

5D mark II gripped | Canon 100L | Canon 85 1.8 | Sigma 50 1.4 | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | 580ex II | 430ex II x 2 |
Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #641427 by Hassner
I do not know the culture where you are from, but when I did weddings I never did contracts. 
I must add that weddings was not my sole income. 
I only had one wedding cancelled, when they let me know that some family member wants to do the pics as a wedding gift. I thought, let me not get upset, as that might be their job when they see their final pics.
It is 15 years later and it seems that contracts are now fashion here too.
I presume that when it is your sole income, you need protection.
It is up to you.
It is scary that one does not want to sign a basic contract when he has to sign one with the one he loves that might affect his future.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #641430 by GaryA
I'd walk away.  

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

4 years 11 months ago #641480 by Nikon Shooter
There are people that have only one word
and not trustworthy others… a gut feeling.

I trust mine.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #641486 by garyrhook
Many wedding photographers in the US don't use contracts. Whether wise or not is another issue. But if you are unwilling to work without a contractual agreement, walk away.

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #641487 by icepics
Other than explaining the purpose of a contract, maybe letting them see a blank contract so they see what they'll be signing, etc. I'm not sure what else you could do. It's probably necessary to explain that you need to have something in writing and can't do a job without a written contract.

If this is a problem what else might be a problem? Maybe it will be just as well to let this potential client move on.

Sharon
Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #641515 by Troponin
 I don’t believe in one person taking all of the risk in a business transaction. It should be mutual, and the only way to ensure that is with a contract. Too many folks back out of paying for their photos because it comes too low on their list of priorities if money becomes an issue. They know that, and they don’t want to be legally bound. 

Walk away.

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #641663 by Uplander

garyrhook wrote: Many wedding photographers in the US don't use contracts. Whether wise or not is another issue. But if you are unwilling to work without a contractual agreement, walk away.

:agree:  I know a wedding photographer who see's contracts as a frictional point.  He never uses them, and yet, the guy has never had any issues.  Me, contract or hit the road.

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #641797 by JaneK
If they refuse, that would pop up some red flags.  Nothing for you to fall back onto if they pull the plug. 

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #641810 by Ben Vanderbilt
For me, I'd pass.  If someone isn't willing to sign something that is there for mutual protection, that's not the client I want to fuss with.  

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #641856 by Roy Wilson
The responses are all pretty much the same.  And any photographer that decides to work around a contract is just asking for trouble sooner or later.  

Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, 40D, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L Mark II, 24-105 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85 1.8, 4 x 580 EX(II)
Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #641859 by Troponin
I want to approach this a little differently. I remember years ago when I began investing in the stock market, someone once told me “Never invest more than you’re able/willing to lose”. I can clarify the willing/able part, but I think you get where I am going with this. Consider the time and money you invested, then determine what you are ok with risking vs what is your livelihood. 

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #641894 by Eliffman
I will try, but I won't give in if they continue to say no to contract.  That's a level of protection for myself and business I don't want to risk.  Excuse the sexual example, but a contract is the condom.  

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #641937 by jeffnles1
To me the answer is easy.  Very politely wish him well with his new wife and walk away.  This is probably why I don't do weddings.  Too much headache for too little pay and dealing with bridezilla or the helicopter mother in law is just not what I want at this point in my life.

However, regarding contracts, never work without one.
Jeff

4 years 11 months ago #642096 by Paris Gal
Message loud and clear.  Thank you all!

5D mark II gripped | Canon 100L | Canon 85 1.8 | Sigma 50 1.4 | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | 580ex II | 430ex II x 2 |
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024