Shadows created from guys wearing hats?

4 years 11 months ago #641426 by Luca
How in the world do you light a guys face who's wearing a baseball cap?  All my shots always have their face in a dark shadow.  

I know the obvious answer is to have them remove their hat.  But many don't want too. 

So what can I do here? 

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #641431 by GaryA
Use a fill flash.  Set the flash to be equal to or less than the ambient light and it should softly fill in the shadows.

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

4 years 11 months ago #641489 by Luca
But in order to cover all the shadows, wouldn't you need to position the flash from low and pointed up? And wouldn't that highlight under the cap, making it look off?

BTW thank you for offering the advice!

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #641510 by GaryA

Luca wrote: But in order to cover all the shadows, wouldn't you need to position the flash from low and pointed up? And wouldn't that highlight under the cap, making it look off?

BTW thank you for offering the advice!

I was thinking more alongs the lines of the on-board pop-up flash (if your camera has one).  Or a small one fitting onto the hot shoe.  The fill needs to close to the top of the lens ... any angle less than the angle of the primary light source (sun) would help, the greater the angle away from the sun the better. 

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

4 years 11 months ago #641555 by Stanly
Try using a gold reflector

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #641557 by Nikon Shooter

Stanly wrote: Try using a gold reflector

Not a gold as it would introduce a suspicious warm colour. Not a
silver either as it would blind the subject too.

I did meet such a situation and my solution was an OCF attached
to the bottom of the camera — right under the lens in TTL mode.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #641658 by Uplander
:agree:  with the reflector, that will give you a warm yet soft light that will be perfect for hitting those hat shadows.  

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #641785 by Randall McNabb
A white reflector will do the trick.  Gold could work depending on how close you were.  Too close will be way to warm of tones.  

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #641848 by Ruby Grace
Agree, distance is key here.  You can get away with any of the above reflectors depending on strength of light and distance from subject IMHO.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 17-40mmL, 24-105mmL, 100-400mmL, 300mm f/4L IS, Sigma 12-24mm, 430EX, Extension tubes
Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #641850 by Troponin
So, before I advise anything, what are you trying to do? What is the event? How far? Can you change positions? Can you move the models/subjects? There are times when the shadow effect on the face is really cool, while other times it's not. It's all about getting the right angle of light, composition, and exposure. The other option is to get them in to a shaded area. You can even use the shadows to compose with if the lighting is right. Another option is back lighting. This will eliminate pretty much most of the issue altogether. 

I don't photograph many folks with hats, but I do sometimes. Whenever I am trying to achieve something new, I do a search for inspiration on how others have dealt with the same situations, learn some, then try to create something of my own with the experiences. 

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #641901 by Luca

Troponin wrote: So, before I advise anything, what are you trying to do? What is the event? How far? Can you change positions? Can you move the models/subjects? There are times when the shadow effect on the face is really cool, while other times it's not. It's all about getting the right angle of light, composition, and exposure. The other option is to get them in to a shaded area. You can even use the shadows to compose with if the lighting is right. Another option is back lighting. This will eliminate pretty much most of the issue altogether. 

I don't photograph many folks with hats, but I do sometimes. Whenever I am trying to achieve something new, I do a search for inspiration on how others have dealt with the same situations, learn some, then try to create something of my own with the experiences. 

No event, just trying to figure out how to not have these shadows.   Last one was a buddy of mine while we were out.  And the photo didn't turn out good because of his shadow.  That particular time, I was 8' from him I would guess.  Distance from subject is always different.  But this doesn't happen that often, just one of things that has happened a number of times and I hadn't been able to work around.  Thanks to everyone here, I now have a good sense on how to deal with these shadows. 

Thanks again everyone!! 

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #642233 by Chris Briggs
Just use your fill flash in manual mode and set for a stop or two less than ambient lighting. 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024