UV filters when using other filters?

4 years 11 months ago #642081 by Chase Audate
When I bought my camera, they sent me a UV filter and told me to use it all the time.  Is this supposed to be used with other filters too?  

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #642084 by Nikon Shooter
The only reason to use a UV is to protect the front element of a lens.
With digital, it is not necessary any more.

When using other filters, remove it as it just increases the number of
air-glass incidences.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #642088 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Chase

Both shop & NS are being helpful ...
the shop is advising you that a replaceable UV filter 'could' be used on those occasions when the actual glass of the lens might suffer from other things -eg: doing surfing shots in lots of salt spray hitting the camera- and
NS is correct in that every filter / other item you install in front of the actual lens introduces 2 surfaces that can hold dust particles and might influence the actual light / image you are trying to capture

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

4 years 11 months ago #642094 by Chase Audate
Thank you both.  OK.  I'm clear.  

Speaking of filters are there ever cases where you might stack more than 2 or 3 filters?

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #642100 by garyrhook

Chase Audate wrote: Thank you both.  OK.  I'm clear.  

Speaking of filters are there ever cases where you might stack more than 2 or 3 filters?

What filters might those be?

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #642107 by Chester Foster
I don't use UV filters. 

4 years 11 months ago #642132 by Sanford
UV filters are a waste of money.  When you have a nice lens, why would you put a cheap piece of glass in front of it?

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #642215 by Randy Shaw
The only time I'll use a UV filter is when I'm in an extremely dusty environment.  Other than that, never use one.  

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #642216 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Chase

There are times -not often though- when I stack 2x of my Cokin filters for the same exposure
1- being a ND-8 to slow down exposure & thus show movement, and 1- being a graduated grey or blue to accentuate the sky

Useful for the occasional landscape when I want to record the blur from movement of a wind-mill turning in the wind while still having the beauty of the landscape coming through as well

Before use each filter is carefully blown dust-free to avoid specs & dust-bunnies in the frame

Hope this helps

4 years 11 months ago #642245 by Vladimir
Not here, don't even own one.  Actually when I first got started I owned one, but never used it.  Which technically means I still have it as I know I didn't toss it.  Oh well, you get the point.   I don't use it.  :)

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #642265 by Moe
+1 same goes with me.  Bought one with my first camera and never used.

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #642445 by Eric A
The only thing I'll screw onto my lens is ND filters, polarized filters and that's it.  Nothing else.  UV filters are a waste of money if you want my opinion.   

My Camera Bag:

Canon 7D | 50mm f/1.2 | 17-40mm f/4 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 320EX | 580EXII

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024