Why do some assume photographers will work for free?

4 years 11 months ago #642666 by Jeffster
Knock on wood I don't get to many of these.  However today after meeting with a very nice couple and speaking about their upcoming wedding plans, and going over my packages and pricing.  They select the package and then the husband steps in and starts bartering for a trade or advertising in his restaurants menu. 

Because I stated I wasn't in the market for trades and had enough business already where I didn't need to advertise further, he opted out from giving me the job. 

Kind of annoying when these sort of things happen.  

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #642690 by tejbon

Photo Comments
Attachments:
4 years 11 months ago #642734 by Roblane
Some people are just cheap, some just don't know any better and some are just clueless.  

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #642765 by CatherineW
Oh I've had these before.  I don't spend too much time on these sort of people.  If they don't conform, just move onto the next.  Some just are looking for a free lunch.  

***Remember 9/11***
Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #642784 by garyrhook
If you want to have some fun, you could go with, "help me understand: do you get paid for your work?"

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #642909 by Peter P
Likely because they have worked with a photographer who was starting out and worked for free, or they heard about someone hiring a photographer under those circumstances.  

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #642938 by Kate Stailey
Hence the "Craigslist Photographer" was born. :evil:

Bottom feeders who make a mess of the market.  

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #642978 by Howard Swanson
I got a chuckle from your explanation.   It's one way of painting a picture.  However you do make a point, but on the other side, there are some new photographers who are so desperate or driven, to get a start and some use this to generate $$ where others are just trying to build experience.  So you see, there are those that are smart peeps who know they need to start somewhere to build experience.  Work for free or next to free jobs is path they take. 

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #643069 by Garbo
+1 so agree with that.  Craiglist photographers aren't all bad. 

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #643136 by Adam S
Just those getting started or don't know any better.  

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #643144 by Hassner
You get freeloaders everywhere, even more so in my country. 
Professional people with huge salaries wanting us to work for “exposure”.
Most magazines struggle to survive due to digital competition, so they promise big bylines, but no pay.
The only time I fell for a bribe, was a winery that wanted stock shots for their website and offered to pay in wine. 

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #643325 by Roman Omell
LMAO pay with wine? 

I can respond a few different ways with that and try to be funny.  

But I'll be serious and ask how much wine did they hook you up with?  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024