Temp of room for infant photo shoot?

4 years 11 months ago #642739 by One Wish
I have an infant photo shoot coming up next weekend as a favor for a friend.  I normally don't photograph infants, so this will be new for me.  They are providing the props, but if I do recall the room where the shoot will take place needs to be warm.  

What's a good temp for the room. 

Any other tips please?  

thanks!

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #642749 by Nikon Shooter

One Wish wrote: but if I do recall the room where the shoot will take place needs to be warm. What's a good temp for the room. 

If the baby is dressed through the session, a normal room
temperature is quite ok. If it is to be naked or lightly cove-
red, pre-warm the place to +/- 27°C.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #642757 by CatherineW
You want the baby to be comfortable and when they are comfortable they will likely sleep more.  A balmy 80 degrees will be perfect for this.  

***Remember 9/11***
Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #642785 by garyrhook
80 degrees F. I see a lot of small space heaters used for baby shoots, so you might consider picking up one of those.

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #642830 by Photo Junky
+1 space heaters work excellent.   80F is perfect.  

My sister is a newborn photographer and I have helped her out a few times.  It's always 80 in her studio summer and winter.  

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #642831 by Nikon Shooter
I know of no Canadian photographer that could work
in such incubator a whole day! :)

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #643402 by icepics
As warm as the family wants it to be long enough to get some photos if the baby will not be in a onesie or other clothing. If they want some with the baby dressed, using pretty blankets etc., normal room temperature should be fine.

I was an EI Spec for 20+ years and even sometimes if a therapist worked with a baby just in diapers for a short time there was no need to make it warmer than normal room temp.

Plan on getting photos when the baby is alert, in between or after nursing and napping. I'd plan on getting done in maybe 20 minutes. There's no need to put a family thru hours of trying to get pictures.

Some of what's online about baby photography may show inappropriate positioning, etc. Do floor time with a cute quilt or blanket on the floor instead of having a newborn up on beanbags etc. because the baby cannot yet hold up the head. Be sure the head is not flopping to one side and the chin isn't down onto the chest or in any other way potentially compromising breathing. To position a baby the head, neck, and trunk (chest) should be aligned.

If the parents have seen pictures they like but the positions seem inappropriate explain why you can't do it that way and figure out with them how you can get a similar look in a safer way. Use guidelines that would be consistent with info. given to first time parents by health/medical pediatric professionals.

Sharon
Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #643423 by Rick Larin

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #643424 by Rick Larin
One more for you

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #643425 by Rick Larin
One more for you

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024