Camera upgrade

4 years 11 months ago #642781 by Canon-Craig
Hi all. I've been referring to this site for a long time for hints and tips and always find what I'm looking for plus a lot of extra. This is definitely one of the best sites for all sorts of photography skills! Right, onto my question. I have an entry level DSLR (Canon 1200d) and have had some great shots however it's time for an upgrade. I've been considering the following:

Canon 77d
Canon 80d
Canon 7d mkii 

I want to stick to Canon/crop sensor due to the lenses I currently have and would like to continue using. I've read lots of reviews but would appreciate some advice from the community.

I won't really be using video that much so not too concerned about that. I'll be using the camera mostly for landscape and portraits along with some product/wildlife photography but I'd  also like to venture (maybe) into street photography but not sure yet. Size/weight isn't an issue. I won't be printing any larger than A3 and most of my images will be on Instagram and a small magazine.

The 77d and 80d seem more or less the same with a few minor difference but the 7dmkii does seem to take the edge. Not too bothered about the price differences. I read one review recently that suggested if wildlife or sports is your thing pick the 7dmkii but if landscape and portraits is pick the 80d!

I'm looking to upgrade in the 3-4 months so any suggestions/advice are welcomed greatly.

Thanks

4 years 11 months ago #642799 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Craig

I am not a canon user but may I offer you some thoughts - the sort of stuff I would do as a starter when confused with camera options

Go to DP Review and use the "Side by Side Camera Comparison" charts to list all the cameras you're considering, save the chart and colour in the 'best for your use' bits from each list. This might start you tying down which of the 3- bodies will suit best as the use of colour will stand out and give you a lead

Another thing - the reverse of above - is to look at your current photo style as to 'what do I like to shoot' versus 'what does my current camera prevent me from shooting' and starting to chase those 'missing / wanted' features in a prospective new camera

Along the way you will start your own prioritisation of new / altered things [like faster focus or frames per second in continuous] and hopefully, come up with the result you're chasing

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

4 years 11 months ago #642811 by KCook
  • if wildlife or sports is your thing pick the 7dmkii but if landscape and portraits is pick the 80d!
This is essentially correct.  For street photography a case can be made for the mirrorless EOS M-series.  Which do take EF-S lenses with an adapter.  Old M bodies are selling used very cheap, so no reason not to add one, while keeping your DSLR too.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

4 years 11 months ago #642818 by Canon-Craig
Hey Phil,

Thanks for your quick response - really appreciate your advice. Yes, I have looked at DPReview but your suggestion of saving the chart and it's colours have really helped. From reading the info on DPReview, I think I can exclude the 77D do hopefully, with a little more 'light' reading I should be able to make the decision. Knowing my luck, as soon as I purchase one, a new 90D will raise it's head.

Thanks again for the advice.

Craig

4 years 11 months ago #642819 by Canon-Craig
Hi Kelly,

Thanks for the advice. I've read lots of reviews but it's always nice to get some further help from the community. The majority will be portrait and landscape and it does seem that the 80D could be the best option for this. Your the 2nd person to mention a M-Body for street photography and you're right, there's some cracking deals on some of the older models.

Cheers

Craig

4 years 11 months ago #642928 by Ozzie_Traveller

Canon-Craig wrote: Hey Phil,
..... Knowing my luck, as soon as I purchase one, a new 90D will raise it's head. Thanks again for the advice.  Craig

Yes matey - that's always a possibility, along with waiting for it to happen - and waiting - and waiting  :(   Phil

4 years 11 months ago #643054 by shelland
What is your reason for upgrading? What do you want to get out of a new body that your current body does not give you? That answer may influence replies. 

Scott

- Twin Cities, MN

4 years 11 months ago #643727 by Canon-Craig
Hi Scot,

I've been using a 1200D for a while and just looking to get something a little better that offers a wider range of controls and hopefully help me progress my skills a little more. I still have lots to learn but we're always learning right? Also, sometimes its nice to get something new!

Thanks

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024