Is theft still a problem with checking in your camera gear on flights?

4 years 11 months ago #642986 by Patrick G
A couple friends and I are going to travel to Argentina in November.  With all the technology in airports now and security cameras.  Is it safe to have your gear in a hard case checked in below the plane with out having to worry about theft?  

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #643067 by garyrhook

Patrick G wrote: A couple friends and I are going to travel to Argentina in November.  With all the technology in airports now and security cameras.  Is it safe to have your gear in a hard case checked in below the plane with out having to worry about theft?  

Not without a lock. Nothing's changed in any significant way; not sure where you got that idea.

Take what you want to carry on-board. I use a Pelican 1510 that works a treat and carries a lot. I could also get a small amount into a camera bag., if that sufficed. But I won't risk the important stuff, no.

Frankly, my CPAP costs more than most of my camera gear.  Thieves aren't too smart.

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #643077 by Nikon Shooter
Yep, the 1510 I take on all flights…
most of the time within Europe!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #643117 by Barbara Fite
I have not seen that 1510 before.  Will you lock it and keep your gear in hotel room when traveling?  

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #643119 by Garbo
Pelican 1510 in tan is pretty sweet, but don't you think that case stands out and draws attention to you?

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #643157 by The Gardener
Agree, that tan is nice.  What's funny is that I've only seen those in black.  That olive green is nice too.  I seem to recall another company called Nanuk which has orange cases that are pretty nice too. 

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #643210 by garyrhook

Barbara Fite wrote: I have not seen that 1510 before.  Will you lock it and keep your gear in hotel room when traveling?  

Nope.

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #643211 by garyrhook

Garbo wrote: Pelican 1510 in tan is pretty sweet, but don't you think that case stands out and draws attention to you?

Nope.

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #643250 by Ian Stone
Nanuk 950 is what I have.  It's a nice case and solid construction.  I got mine black however thinking back, kind of wish I got the orange they offer.  

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #643254 by Troponin
Locking my things would be great, except that they are allowed to break your locks if they want anyway. They also want you to label firearms with big, shiny letters so that everyone knows what it is. lol 

I have to stop. TSA is a sore subject for me. 

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #643257 by Shadowfixer1
I pack my camera gear which is in a sling style backpack and my CPAP machine in a small non descript carry on suitcase. People would never know what's in it. It stays with me on the plane. I never, ever check photo gear. The one exception is my big tripod if I take it. That goes into the bottom of my checked luggage. I haven't taken it in a long time as I now have a small travel tripod that folds to 14" and extends to about 60". If you like your gear, don't check it. The risk is too high.
4 years 11 months ago #643259 by Troponin

Shadowfixer1 wrote: I pack my camera gear which is in a sling style backpack and my CPAP machine in a small non descript carry on suitcase. People would never know what's in it. It stays with me on the plane. I never, ever check photo gear. The one exception is my big tripod if I take it. That goes into the bottom of my checked luggage. I haven't taken it in a long time as I now have a small travel tripod that folds to 14" and extends to about 60". If you like your gear, don't check it. The risk is too high.

I never check my camera either. Put it in a bag small enough that you can keep it under a seat in a worst case scenario. If the bag is relatively big, you could be forced to check it if you are sitting close to the back of the plane. If it fits under your seat, they are likely to let you carry it on. 

Packing medical supplies with your camera isn't a bad idea either. If you do this though, they could still give you trouble. I have a CPAP and two diabetics, and they once tried to force us to check all of our life saving diabetic supplies and the flight attendant replied with "Guess you should have thought of that before you boarded..." I RIPPED in to him. I thought I was going to get kicked off the plane, which wouldn't have been horrible, considering there is a chance my wife or daughter could die without those in the plane with us. 

One thing you can do is preregister with TSA. They will still harass you, but they have more trouble arguing with you if you are pre-screened etc. 

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #643276 by Toby J
I wouldn't check my gear below regardless of what the case looks like.

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #643309 by Sawyer
Can you request your checked hard case to be inspected, and once inspected zip tied shut?  With like a special zip tie that only TSA has?

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #643311 by garyrhook
There are TSA-approved locks, I believe, that they can open. The google will find information about them.

Your best bet is to pack a firearm in the case. Even a starter pistol will do the trick. That will allow the locking of luggage after inspection.

It won't stop your luggage from being "lost", however.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024