Ebay users beware of empty boxes

1 week 1 day ago #643941 by Conner
Hey guys, something you should beware of.  I've heard of a couple cases in the last few weeks where people ordered a camera and lenses and ended up getting empty boxes!

From what one person was saying, was that PayPal wasn't refunding them yet, something to do with how the package was shipped. 

Thought I would share that.  Just be extra detective with sellers and you might want to avoid brand new sellers.  

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 week 1 day ago - 1 week 1 day ago #644050 by garyrhook

Conner wrote: Hey guys, something you should beware of.  I've heard of a couple cases in the last few weeks where people ordered a camera and lenses and ended up getting empty boxes!

From what one person was saying, was that PayPal wasn't refunding them yet, something to do with how the package was shipped. 

Thought I would share that.  Just be extra detective with sellers and you might want to avoid brand new sellers.  

Got a pointer? More useful than hearsay.

Also: this is not a new problem. This has also happened through Amazon and their used products reselling.

The solution: understand risk, and vet your seller. Only buy from those with demonstrated feedback history that shows the seller to be reputable.

And: if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Photo Comments

1 week 1 day ago #644077 by Cara Wilkins
Huh?  OP is just looking out for people .  

OP - thank you for sharing this.  I use ebay and I do pay attention to seller reviews and rating.  Didn't know this sort of nonsense was going on.  

Deadbeats out there feeding off hard working people with their scams.  

Photo Comments

1 week 1 day ago #644086 by icepics
I've seen something about this and it seems to be going around online but it's like the internet version of the ol' telephone game... hard to tell exactly what happened after it gets repeated and passed around enough.

I saw one video where the box was opened but realized you couldn't see the bottom to see if it could have been already opened and something taken out or not. So was the video a hoax or the seller a spammer? I don't know sometimes... I would think as soon as you picked up a box you'd know it wasn't heavy enough for there to be a camera in it to realize it was empty (unless you ordered something small and lightweight).

I agree about being careful with external sellers on marketplace type sites.

Sharon
Photo Comments

1 week 1 day ago #644089 by garyrhook

Cara Wilkins wrote: Huh?  OP is just looking out for people .  

OP - thank you for sharing this.  I use ebay and I do pay attention to seller reviews and rating.  Didn't know this sort of nonsense was going on.  

Deadbeats out there feeding off hard working people with their scams.  

Posting unverified (what are essentially) rumors without data to back them up is not looking out for people, it's spreading fear and doubt. Maybe that's a good thing?

But you said it yourself: you didn't know that sort of nonsense was going on. Maybe because it's stale news, because it's a rarity, because it's a rumor? My asking for attribution is perfectly reasonable when someone makes an unsupported claim.

There are constantly creeps trying to take advantage of people. Some eBay clown sending an empty box is nowhere near the biggest concern we should have when it comes to scams.

You can post what you want on the interwebz, but that doesn't make you immune to challenges.

Photo Comments

1 week 19 hours ago #644107 by Gammill
There are people out there like this.  Well regardless, be smart when buying from ebay or any auction site.  

Photo Comments

1 week 3 hours ago #644244 by Pete Franko
Good to be aware of these things, however this sort of stuff has been going on for long time. Not just in photography gear, but all over.  Always be smart about who you do business with.  

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Recommended Gear

Latest Reviews

Should you buy a Canon EOS RP or a Nikon Z6? In this EOS RP vs Z6 comparison, we take a look at the specs, performance, and prices of these mirrorless cameras.

May 20, 2019

In this Panasonic GH5 review, learn if this camera's features for still photography and videography are still top-of-the-class in 2019.

May 15, 2019

In this Sony a7R III vs Panasonic GH5 comparison, we take a look at the sensor, ISO performance, video capabilities, and image stabilization of these cameras, and much more.

May 10, 2019

In this Nikon D3300 review, learn about this entry-level camera's specifications, features, and performance so you can decide if it's the best beginner camera for you.

Apr 30, 2019

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Not sure what kind of camera strap is right for you? In this article, I offer my thoughts of the pros and cons of several common types of camera straps.

May 21, 2019

The brand-new Peak Design Travel Tripod is a game-changing, innovative piece of kit that will influence how tripods are designed for years to come.

May 21, 2019

With these advanced landscape photography tips you'll learn a few techniques for taking landscape photography to the next level.

May 20, 2019

Should you buy a Canon EOS RP or a Nikon Z6? In this EOS RP vs Z6 comparison, we take a look at the specs, performance, and prices of these mirrorless cameras.

May 20, 2019

Photo by Thomas Griggs on Unsplash Easter Island only has 5,700 inhabitants, but the more than 150,000 tourists that visit the...

May 19, 2019

Searching for "photography jobs" and "places hiring near me" is not a good enough strategy for how to find photography jobs. In this article, learn where and how to find the job for you.

May 16, 2019

You're probably familiar with famous photographers like Ansel Adams, but do you know the highest paid photographers of all time? Check this list to find out.

May 16, 2019

What are the best used cameras under $100? There are plenty of choices, but the digital cameras under $100 on this list are both capable and well under budget.

May 16, 2019