What do you know about Venus Laowa lenses?

2 months 4 days ago #644253 by Todd Floyd
I just came across this lens mentioned on a Facebook post.  Someone who spoke about the focus ring being a little stiff.  Out of curiosity I went over to Adorama to look at this lens:  https://www.adorama.com/ve1228nkaia.html  as I've never even heard of it before.  The reviews are pretty good for it.  Not a lot them, and then there is a bad review similar to what I just heard, at least about the focus being stiff:

"No stop-down feature. Pre-set diaphragm only. Stiff focus: Helical grease too viscous. Venus Optics, China, does not respond to inquiries. Nice presentation box. Focus and Depth of Field Scales are nice useable features. Good solid feel, except for being too hard to focus smoothly! Lens Shade is metal and stows nicely around lens body."

Putting aside the reviews, for a manual lens, when you compare it to for example Rokinon manual lenses, this lens is nearly 2X the cost.  

What's so special or not special about these lenses? 

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 4 days ago #644257 by Stanly
They are OK lenses, for the price you can spend a little more and get something from Sigma or Tamron that has autofocus.  

Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments

2 months 4 days ago #644263 by garyrhook
The have a number of interesting lenses; I want the 15mm f/4 Macro myself.

All I know is that you can't find them used on eBay. Either they don't sell, or their buyers like them enough to keep them.

Photo Comments

2 months 4 days ago #644264 by Todd Floyd
Do you think that could be contributed to  this company being so young?  I've been reading more about this company.   They are kind of new right?  I was reading comments on another board saying the same thing about there not being much on the used market.  One person stated the company has been releasing very limited quantities into the market due to manufacture bottle necks.  

Photo Comments

2 months 3 days ago #644287 by garyrhook

Todd Floyd wrote: Do you think that could be contributed to  this company being so young?  I've been reading more about this company.   They are kind of new right?  I was reading comments on another board saying the same thing about there not being much on the used market.  One person stated the company has been releasing very limited quantities into the market due to manufacture bottle necks.  

I don't know much about it, just ran across the lens somewhere.

B&H carries them, and has reviews on their site, so that's helpful.

Photo Comments

2 months 3 days ago #644289 by mariablassingame
They have a variety of intriguing lenses; I desire the 15mm f/4 Macro myself. Macro lenses enable you to take a picture of a subject really close up. Calling a lens a macro lens does not have anything to do with whether it is wide-angle or telephoto. It just indicates you can obtain extremely near to little things and also picture them.

2 months 3 days ago #644391 by Studio Queen
I prefer the auto focus lens myself.

Photo Comments

2 months 3 days ago #644427 by Jason Stevens
Jury is out to lunch with these lenses for me.  

Photo Comments

2 months 2 days ago #644449 by garyrhook

Jason Stevens wrote: Jury is out to lunch with these lenses for me.  

I just love mixed metaphors :lol:

Photo Comments

2 months 2 days ago #644550 by Barbara Fite
I don't understand using manual lenses when you have so many other options?  Is it a cost saving play for those of you using?

Photo Comments

2 months 2 days ago #644555 by garyrhook

Barbara Fite wrote: I don't understand using manual lenses when you have so many other options?  Is it a cost saving play for those of you using?

It's not about using manual lenses, it's about using lenses with certain character, or unique character, or a certain quality (e.g. every Zeiss lens). If you have to choose between a lens that does something you want, and manual focus, you choose the lens. And deal with MF.

It's really not that bad, in any event. Even when your eyesight is terrible. One can learn.

Photo Comments

1 month 4 weeks ago #644720 by donmammoser
Hi Frankly speaking, I haven't done any critical shooting  to look for super-detailed analysis of edge-to-edge sharpness but right now I'm just having fun using it. The close focus distance and wide angle combination are a unique combination.

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Fujifilm X-A5 review, we take a look at this tiny camera's specs, build quality, and overall performance, as well as investigate its price and where you can it on the cheap.

Jul 16, 2019

The Sony CyberShot DSC RX1R II offers a full frame imaging sensor in a tiny body, but is all the resolution of its sensor worth the terrible battery life?

Jul 12, 2019

In our Canon PowerShot G1 X III review, we examine this powerful little camera's specifications, including its build, ergonomics, and video capabilities.

Jul 08, 2019

In our Canon EOS-1D X Mark II review, learn why this camera is such a good choice for enthusiast and professional photographers looking for still photography and video capabilities.

Jul 05, 2019

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

If you create content with Final Cut Pro X, you can make better videos more quickly with these tools for content creators.

Jul 19, 2019

You can call Brendan Barry obsessed with photography. He is world-renowned for creating cameras out of the craziest objects. His projects mix photography...

Jul 19, 2019

Looking for a camera monitor to assist you with your photography and videography work? Look no further than this list of ten of the best DSLR monitors you can get in 2019.

Jul 18, 2019

Whether it's warm light, cool light, warm white light, cool white light, or something in between, the color temperature of light can have a huge impact on how your images look.

Jul 17, 2019

When it comes to rare camera lenses, which is the best lens ever? Many agree that it's the Konica 57mm f/1.2. See if you agree!

Jul 17, 2019

Screenshot from YouTube video Paradise, California was wrecked by one of the largest wildfires in recent history, and with it, people's lives went up in...

Jul 17, 2019

The Sony a7R IV was just announced to much fanfare, and initial impressions are that this thing is a beast. Check out the Sony a7R IV specs, price, and more.

Jul 16, 2019

Not sure how to keep track of your gear and get it all organized? Give these tips for protecting photography gear a try!

Jul 16, 2019