What do you know about Venus Laowa lenses?

4 years 11 months ago #644253 by Todd Floyd
I just came across this lens mentioned on a Facebook post.  Someone who spoke about the focus ring being a little stiff.  Out of curiosity I went over to Adorama to look at this lens:  https://www.adorama.com/ve1228nkaia.html  as I've never even heard of it before.  The reviews are pretty good for it.  Not a lot them, and then there is a bad review similar to what I just heard, at least about the focus being stiff:

"No stop-down feature. Pre-set diaphragm only. Stiff focus: Helical grease too viscous. Venus Optics, China, does not respond to inquiries. Nice presentation box. Focus and Depth of Field Scales are nice useable features. Good solid feel, except for being too hard to focus smoothly! Lens Shade is metal and stows nicely around lens body."

Putting aside the reviews, for a manual lens, when you compare it to for example Rokinon manual lenses, this lens is nearly 2X the cost.  

What's so special or not special about these lenses? 

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #644257 by Stanly
They are OK lenses, for the price you can spend a little more and get something from Sigma or Tamron that has autofocus.  

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #644263 by garyrhook
The have a number of interesting lenses; I want the 15mm f/4 Macro myself.

All I know is that you can't find them used on eBay. Either they don't sell, or their buyers like them enough to keep them.

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #644264 by Todd Floyd
Do you think that could be contributed to  this company being so young?  I've been reading more about this company.   They are kind of new right?  I was reading comments on another board saying the same thing about there not being much on the used market.  One person stated the company has been releasing very limited quantities into the market due to manufacture bottle necks.  

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #644287 by garyrhook

Todd Floyd wrote: Do you think that could be contributed to  this company being so young?  I've been reading more about this company.   They are kind of new right?  I was reading comments on another board saying the same thing about there not being much on the used market.  One person stated the company has been releasing very limited quantities into the market due to manufacture bottle necks.  

I don't know much about it, just ran across the lens somewhere.

B&H carries them, and has reviews on their site, so that's helpful.

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #644289 by mariablassingame
They have a variety of intriguing lenses; I desire the 15mm f/4 Macro myself. Macro lenses enable you to take a picture of a subject really close up. Calling a lens a macro lens does not have anything to do with whether it is wide-angle or telephoto. It just indicates you can obtain extremely near to little things and also picture them.

4 years 11 months ago #644391 by Studio Queen
I prefer the auto focus lens myself.

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #644427 by Jason Stevens
Jury is out to lunch with these lenses for me.  

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #644449 by garyrhook

Jason Stevens wrote: Jury is out to lunch with these lenses for me.  

I just love mixed metaphors :lol:

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #644550 by Barbara Fite
I don't understand using manual lenses when you have so many other options?  Is it a cost saving play for those of you using?

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #644555 by garyrhook

Barbara Fite wrote: I don't understand using manual lenses when you have so many other options?  Is it a cost saving play for those of you using?

It's not about using manual lenses, it's about using lenses with certain character, or unique character, or a certain quality (e.g. every Zeiss lens). If you have to choose between a lens that does something you want, and manual focus, you choose the lens. And deal with MF.

It's really not that bad, in any event. Even when your eyesight is terrible. One can learn.

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #644720 by donmammoser
Hi Frankly speaking, I haven't done any critical shooting  to look for super-detailed analysis of edge-to-edge sharpness but right now I'm just having fun using it. The close focus distance and wide angle combination are a unique combination.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024