Bad habits you have with photography

4 years 10 months ago #645544 by Kenta
That's totally me.  Taking 50,000 shots from the same exact spot!  I need to start moving.  

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #645558 by GaryA

Shadowfixer1 wrote: I have 2 bad habits. One is to shoot too many of the exact same shot. Same settings, same composition, everything. The worst habit is driving by something and saying that would be a cool shot but never stopping to actually shoot the image. When I have gone back to shoot a scene it has always paid off. I need to stop more.

Okay, I confess ... me too. I used to shoot in Continuous and end up with way too many images to go through.  Now I shoot pretty much everything in Single. I still end up with a ton of shots, but one ton is better than four tons.  I still don't stop for photos ... that I need to change. 

(Shooting with the Fuji XP1 really opened my eyes to how I had devolved from my film days.  Film was limited and precious, and time consuming to develop and print. Consequently, I would put a lot of thought into every frame.  Unlike digital, which more of a reactive shooting style, see something and Boom! Boom! Boom! you got got it.  Film was non-auto, you had to focus and taking light readings, no chimping and no do-overs. That made film a thinking man's game, anticipatory not reactive.  The XP1 was slow, it did everything slow.  Compared to my dSLR's, the XP1 was only a fraction of a second slower, but that fraction was the difference between night and day for what I shoot and how I shoot.  I could no longer be reactive with the XP1.  It took me back to my film days.  I looked harder at the light, harder at the subjects, I would position myself and wait for what I hoped would happen ... then Boom! Even though I no longer shoot with the XP1, I am still shooting as if I'm still using the XP1. The XP1 has made me a better photographer.  

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024