Black and White Filters being used on DSLRs?

4 years 10 months ago #644582 by Phyllis Miller
I picked up a book on Ansel Adams and he speaks about using red, yellow and other filters for black and white photography.  Do people still use these today with DSLRs? 

4 years 10 months ago #644592 by fmw
No, we control color contrast in black and white images in photo editing software instead.

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #644621 by Nikon Shooter

fmw wrote: No, we control color contrast in black and white images in photo editing software instead.

Yes, I agree. Plus there are six colour channels in the 
colour tools panels you can use to reach any of your
ambitions.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #644624 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Phyllis

Back in B&W film days, the photoographer was able to influence the tones within the image via the use of a coloured filter. Any filter used would lighten its own colour and darken the opposite colour - when considering colours on a colour wheel. Therefore a red filter would darken blue skies - thus providing wonderful landscape images

As NS says above - nowadays in post-processing you can 'with careful use' use the sliders and alter the colours / monochromatic tones to achieve much the same result

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

4 years 10 months ago #644637 by Nikon Shooter
One day, I hope I will be able to cook up sentences
like that in your language, Phil! :P

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #644695 by Ozzie_Traveller

Nikon Shooter wrote: One day, I hope I will be able to cook up sentences like that in your language, Phil! :P

Now come on mate ....  :)
you're better lookin' than me - and that gets you extra points

Phil

4 years 10 months ago #644782 by Tony Imaging

Ozzie_Traveller wrote: G'day Phyllis

Back in B&W film days, the photoographer was able to influence the tones within the image via the use of a coloured filter. Any filter used would lighten its own colour and darken the opposite colour - when considering colours on a colour wheel. Therefore a red filter would darken blue skies - thus providing wonderful landscape images

As NS says above - nowadays in post-processing you can 'with careful use' use the sliders and alter the colours / monochromatic tones to achieve much the same result

Hope this helps

Agree, with many presets available that make the process much easier and quicker.  

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #644883 by Ontherocks
When I do want B&W images, I just process my RAW color files in either Lightroom or I'll us Nik Software, there are some presets I like to use to convert to B&W.   I don't use any screw on your camera filters.  

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #644915 by Nikon Shooter

Ontherocks wrote: … there are some presets… 

These are the enemies of good PP as they will interpret a file the
preset creator has never seen.

The only preset I allow my students to use are film specific grain
simulation; they only add a grain texture without affecting the to-
nal values of any given rendition.

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #644981 by Nikon Shooter

Tony Imaging wrote: … with many presets available that make the process much easier and quicker.  

I would like to prove the opposite… if there was a chance! :)

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #645151 by icepics
I've used red or yellow filters sometimes when I'm shooting B&W film. They block light rays that are on the red & yellow part of the color spectrum and enhance colors on the blue part of the spectrum. Easy enough to use (usually screw on, screw off), but the filters cut some light coming into the camera so adjustments may need to be made to get proper exposures.

I don't think they're typically used on digital cameras. When I'm shooting digitally I'll later use Remove Color in Photoshop (since B&W is the absence of color), maybe adjust contrast. Not too hard to do either.

I can't see adding supposed film looking 'grain' digitally since that actually consists of grains of silver in the emulsion on one side of the film. Usually photos shot on film may look more grainy from being used in lower light because of less light exposure. If you shoot film in adequate light and get proper exposures it's similar to shooting digitally that you'll probably be getting photos that are not very grainy or noisy. If you're in low light you may get more grain or digital noise. 

Sharon
Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #645180 by digitalpimp
When I want to convert to B&W, I just convert in post.  That way I'm not tied down to just B&W because of filters used on camera. 

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #645202 by Jennifer_Fennell
I don't think so, people still use a black and white filter with DSLR.
Because in this era we have post-production options.

4 years 10 months ago #645207 by Nikon Shooter

digitalpimp wrote: When I want to convert to B&W, I just convert in post.  That way I'm not tied down to just B&W because of filters used on camera. 

Correct.

Raw files have the all chrominance and the luminance values
that were captured at SR and may be properly processed in
PP. Using B&W filters prior to SR would only alter the quality
of the recorded data and render PP a nightmarish exercise.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024