Aperture when shooting Panoramic photos

4 years 10 months ago #645042 by Ryan Obryan
Some lenses when you shoot at higher f/stops create lens distortion, seeing that you are going to be stacking shots anyway, would it make sense to shoot at a wider aperture, granted the depth of field wont be the same, however that shouldn't matter because you'll be stacking shots and now you'll have the lens operating in it's sweet spot.  

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #645043 by Ryan Obryan
Whoops I hit enter before I was done.  

But do I have the idea right?  My pano shooting has never been strong and I'd like to improve my skills here.  

When you are shooting a pano of a landscape for example, where you want maximum depth of field, would you consider shooting with wider aperture?

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #645065 by Nikon Shooter

Ryan Obryan wrote: where you want maximum depth of field, would you consider shooting with wider aperture?

I think there is a terms confusion in your question, Ryan.

I shoot panos between ƒ8 and ƒ11 and make sure to get
the right focus point. I'd rather raise the ISO… since the
stitching will increase the resolution automatically.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #645067 by garyrhook
Are you talking about focus stacking, or panoramas? Not the same thing (although they can be combined).

Maximum depth of field comes with a more narrow aperture. Not wider.

f/8 - f/11 should be more than adequate for a panoramic landscape photo, if you chose the right focus point (hyperfocal distance). Most lenses should handle that aperture quite well. Anything past that depends upon the lens, so you have to experiment.

As for focus stacking, can't comment on that. I've not figured out how to do that for a landscape, and have yet to locate a good tutorial.

On the other hand, this was shot at f/2.8, about 6-7 images, IIRC. I think I focused on the front of the mountains.

There's no single answer.

Photo Comments
Attachments:
4 years 10 months ago #645075 by Ryan Obryan
I guess I was talking about both.  I was thinking that if I was stacking images already for the purpose of stitching the pano, that I could pull off a two birds one stone by using wider aperture to get a sharper shot. 

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #645076 by Nikon Shooter

Ryan Obryan wrote: … using wider aperture to get a sharper shot. 

I think you are not yet cleared with the terminology!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #645087 by Ryan Obryan

Nikon Shooter wrote:

Ryan Obryan wrote: … using wider aperture to get a sharper shot. 

I think you are not yet cleared with the terminology!

I'm realizing that.  I'm over at Youtube watching some video's on creating panos.  Longer video's so will watch when I get home this evening.  

Thank you for the help!

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #645090 by Shadowfixer1

Ryan Obryan wrote: Some lenses when you shoot at higher f/stops create lens distortion, seeing that you are going to be stacking shots anyway, would it make sense to shoot at a wider aperture, granted the depth of field wont be the same, however that shouldn't matter because you'll be stacking shots and now you'll have the lens operating in it's sweet spot.  

Lens distortion? I think you may be thinking of diffraction. Diffraction makes the image softer and you seem to be talking about sharpness more than distortion. It's preferable to shoot panos in manual mode so the exposure doesn't change across the image.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024