Have you ever gotten arrested, a ticket, in trouble from taking photos?

4 years 10 months ago #645343 by NickSano
1. been asked to move off train tracks
2. Stop photographing someones car
3. Asked to get off property, which in my defense, I saw no posted signs

No trouble thankfully.  

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #645354 by GaryA

garyrhook wrote:

Mike McKinnon wrote: When you say "Wrongfully" shut down, what happened?  

But in the case of abandoned building, who would you even ask for something like that?

I was attending a free performance of a play in a city park (public property, no ordinance against photography) surrounded by people with mobile phones. The stage manager saw my camera (and the 70-200 lens) and came over to tell me I couldn't take photos.

1) No legal basis for that.
2) Wasn't concerned about every other camera there.

My wife didn't want me to "create a scene" although I would have simply informed him of my legal rights, and asked him to leave me alone. I called the theater company the next day to complain about him, and suggest they educate him on the law.

That was early on. Now I would stand my ground and explain to someone why a request like that would be wrong, and I won't comply.

As for abandoned buildings, I'm not into UrbEx, but the city would probably have jursidiction, and would say no because of liability. I think most UrbEx folks simply trespass. Even an owner is unlikely to grant access due to risk of injury.

This reminded me of taking my family to a city owned water park.  Park employees came over and informed me I couldn't take photos with my camera.  I pointed to all the people shooting away with their cell phones and they said it was the size of my camera. I requested to speak with the supervisor but she didn't understand that legally there isn't a difference between my XT2 and a cell phone camera.  But she refused to listen and keep emphasizing my "Big" camera. Not wanting to have my day ruined by stupidity I put the camera away. 

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

4 years 10 months ago #645371 by garyrhook

GaryA wrote: This reminded me of taking my family to a city owned water park.  Park employees came over and informed me I couldn't take photos with my camera.  I pointed to all the people shooting away with their cell phones and they said it was the size of my camera. I requested to speak with the supervisor but she didn't understand that legally there isn't a difference between my XT2 and a cell phone camera.  But she refused to listen and keep emphasizing my "Big" camera. Not wanting to have my day ruined by stupidity I put the camera away. 

Unfortunately, they could probably ask you to leave for any reason, valid or not, so best to chalk it up to ignorance and let it go. Just another example of the failure of our educational system and citizenry to teach critical thinking skills.

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #645381 by GaryA

garyrhook wrote:

GaryA wrote: This reminded me of taking my family to a city owned water park.  Park employees came over and informed me I couldn't take photos with my camera.  I pointed to all the people shooting away with their cell phones and they said it was the size of my camera. I requested to speak with the supervisor but she didn't understand that legally there isn't a difference between my XT2 and a cell phone camera.  But she refused to listen and keep emphasizing my "Big" camera. Not wanting to have my day ruined by stupidity I put the camera away. 

Unfortunately, they could probably ask you to leave for any reason, valid or not, so best to chalk it up to ignorance and let it go. Just another example of the failure of our educational system and citizenry to teach critical thinking skills.

Or any thinking skills.

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.

4 years 10 months ago #645396 by Stanly
Knock on wood, no.  

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #645519 by Carry
Thankfully NO!

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #645525 by Moe
Lmao just drone related finger pointing

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #645527 by icepics
Haven't had a problem.

You'd need to find out who owns the property or parcel of land at that address on city/county websites where property tax info. etc. is given. It could be commercial ownership. I don't know if they would give permission for taking photos since there's a No Trespassing sign posted and they don't seem to want people on that property in that abandoned looking building.

If it's a concert or performance, it may be held in a public park but you'd need to check with whoever is putting on/sponsoring the performance. If there isn't info. posted on the websites for the park district or concert/play you might need to contact whoever is doing PR or media relations to find out their policies on photography. It can help when that info. is available online but it may not be, so it's probably best if an employee doesn't seem to know the policy or you think they may be mistaken then avoid being confrontational and ask who you can talk to. In my experience in sports often phones are allowed but types of cameras and lenses may be restricted.

It depends on how you intend to use your photos if you'd need property releases signed for the abandoned looking building, or need releases signed by the actors/performers. It's about more than taking the pictures, it's also about usage.

Sharon
Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #645535 by garyrhook

icepics wrote: If it's a concert or performance, it may be held in a public park but you'd need to check with whoever is putting on/sponsoring the performance. If there isn't info. posted on the websites for the park district or concert/play you might need to contact whoever is doing PR or media relations to find out their policies on photography. It can help when that info. is available online but it may not be, so it's probably best if an employee doesn't seem to know the policy or you think they may be mistaken then avoid being confrontational and ask who you can talk to. In my experience in sports often phones are allowed but types of cameras and lenses may be restricted.

This is not entirely correct. In a public location in the USA there is no restriction on photography period despite what you claim, despite release, despite intent. There is no reason for anyone to not be able to create a photograph of an event in (almost) any public location in the USA. One would not need to check with anyone to be within one's legal rights. I'm unaware of anything that belies that fact, and I find your suggestion is errant.

Regarding purpose, as if that's relevant to the act of capturing an image: those images could be shared with friends or posted on social media, and there's nothing needed for that to happen. No license, no permission.

No one mentioned sports. I brought up a public performance in a public place for an anecdote.

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #645556 by MYoung
Nothing serious.  I've been told by a comedy club I wasn't supposed to have my camera with me, they look my battery till after show.  I've been told that I couldn't take photos of a building.  This happened when I first got started and it was a federal building or something like that.   

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #645636 by Sanford
Nothing worth mentioning here

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #645697 by icepics
Even if a venue or park is public there are rules & regs; attendees may not be allowed to bring in bottles/cans, umbrellas, etc., or tripods or cameras/telephoto lenses to events that are attended by the general public.

A sports/entertainment venue could be owned privately or be city/county property, funded publicly through taxes. There are still regulations, you can't come in and do whatever you want. There may be restricted areas or restrictions on cameras/lenses at city/county owned ball parks, amphitheaters, etc. You'd need to find out policies of the venue and of the sponsoring organization.

Sharon
Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #645706 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day all

I've had occasional comments and knock-backs, along with police interference at public events, sometimes at the behest of a member of the public who, having seen camera on tripod has claimed 'goodness knows what' but has drawn the police into the equation

I now wear my 'camouflage' jacket to many events - sporting, surf beach, public parks ...
ps- my students also wear one when on excursions so as to avoid issues like the ones we're talking about here
img\def

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

4 years 10 months ago #645710 by GaryA

Ozzie_Traveller wrote: G'day all

I've had occasional comments and knock-backs, along with police interference at public events, sometimes at the behest of a member of the public who, having seen camera on tripod has claimed 'goodness knows what' but has drawn the police into the equation

I now wear my 'camouflage' jacket to many events - sporting, surf beach, public parks ...
ps- my students also wear one when on excursions so as to avoid issues like the ones we're talking about here

img\def

Perfect.  That is simply grand! lol :rofl:

4 years 10 months ago #645826 by Garbo
Just asked to leave property I was on

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024