Professional photographers and silent shutters in their cameras

4 years 10 months ago #645546 by Liem Stailey
I can't believe this, an electronic device that I actually opened up with interest, my manual!  :rofl:

As I was browsing pages, I see that my Canon 5D has silent shutter shooting.  This had me thinking to all the press meetings, news coverage, etc., where you see photographers photographing someone or something important and all their shutters being so loud.   Especially during important press meetings with people speaking, why isn't everyone using silent mode on their cameras?  

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #645581 by Troponin

Liem Stailey wrote: I can't believe this, an electronic device that I actually opened up with interest, my manual!  :rofl:

As I was browsing pages, I see that my Canon 5D has silent shutter shooting.  This had me thinking to all the press meetings, news coverage, etc., where you see photographers photographing someone or something important and all their shutters being so loud.   Especially during important press meetings with people speaking, why isn't everyone using silent mode on their cameras?  

A few points here; 

1. Early silent shutters are/were garbage. Canon is guilty of claiming to have sent shutters on a couple of their DSLRs and they weren’t any more silent. 

2. Most cameras don’t have them. 

3. Silent shutters can affect your IQ at high shutter speeds (1/320 and above in many circumstances. At 1/800+ it’s quite obvious and can be spotted below that 

4. Causes banding in certain lighting, like stage lighting 

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #645587 by Nikon Shooter
Most of the meeting allowed free fire shooting before and after
a working session. Getting people all together on a same pict is
more interesting than a single person addressing the assembly.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #645618 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Liem

Any dSLR with a mechanical mirror assembly will have a k-plunk attached to every use of the mirror / shutter. However mirrorless cameras can use their electronic shutter option to shoot 100% silently whenever needed.

I do it regularly in live theatre photography - use the EVF not the rear LCD screen, no klunk, no light spread to annoy others and away we go. Magic !

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

4 years 10 months ago #645624 by garyrhook
To the OP:

+1 on the above.

Silent? That's going to be only the most recent 5D model(s), which you don't specify in your post. And it matters. My cohort that has a mk IV showed me the other day, and it wasn't completely silent

SLRs have a mirror and a shutter, That's the way they've always worked. Digital didn't change that. You can't use something you don't have.

MIrrorless systems with EVFs can be completely silent by opening the shutter and sampling the sensor to grab an image. See Sean's post above about how that's not so great in every case.

All that said, my new Nikon D850 has a truly silent mode (although it requires the use of the LCD screen because it has an OVF) which is one of the reasons I bought it. Good for classical concerts and recitals. But only because this is a hybrid model. It will be the mirrorless systems that will provide this feature in the long run.

N.B. some of us like the sound of the mirror and shutter.

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #645705 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day all

As Gary says ... we like the sound of the shutter - and for us with mirrorless / EVF systems, the camera creates a klunk noise [on/off or variable volume] to keep us happy so that we know that the damn thing actually is awake rather than asleep! There are very few occasions when I have needed complete silence - mostly is it 'quiet' conditions where the 'click' level is reduced to the point that only I hear it at the moment of shutter actuation

I have not experienced focus issues & light-banding issues with my Panny cameras during stage-lit performances. Here's a recent one from a US tribute group touring Oz ...

img\def

4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #645711 by GaryA
I shoot Fuji mirrorless, which shutters are quiet enough to use without having to switch to the electronic shutter.  (This is of course subjective, as what I think is quiet may not be considered quiet by someone else.)  Quiet can also be found in the leaf shuttered cameras of my Fuji X100 and Leica film cameras.

Dunno about now, but back in the film-only days, camera makers sold "sound blimps", big, fat housings which fit over much of the camera to deaden the sounds.   

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

4 years 10 months ago #645713 by Nikon Shooter

garyrhook wrote: … my new Nikon D850 …

Congratulations, welcome to the club!

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #645722 by mariablassingame
Unlike transportable electronic cameras with very little sensing units, skilled cams use a mechanical shutter. this can be thanks to the very fact that it takes it slow to review out the knowledge from an outsized device chip. A mechanical shutter cuts off the sunshine so the knowledge is often reviewed out for cupboard space on a South Dakota card.Easy electronic shutters will reset, subject, and readout a sensing unit row by row, however, this technique causes what's referred to as a rolling shutter unit, since the rows don't seem to be exposed at the precise same immediate of your time.It is possible to create sensors that have a support store which allows the information from every picture element to be at the same time stirred to temporary storage whereas the information is scanned out. this can be expensive and can also raise the noise within the exposure.Profits are that the best quality still photos need a mechanical shutter that invariably makes some sound.

4 years 10 months ago #645736 by GaryA

mariablassingame wrote: Unlike transportable electronic cameras with very little sensing units, skilled cams use a mechanical shutter. this can be thanks to the very fact that it takes it slow to review out the knowledge from an outsized device chip. A mechanical shutter cuts off the sunshine so the knowledge is often reviewed out for cupboard space on a South Dakota card.Easy electronic shutters will reset, subject, and readout a sensing unit row by row, however, this technique causes what's referred to as a rolling shutter unit, since the rows don't seem to be exposed at the precise same immediate of your time.It is possible to create sensors that have a support store which allows the information from every picture element to be at the same time stirred to temporary storage whereas the information is scanned out. this can be expensive and can also raise the noise within the exposure.Profits are that the best quality still photos need a mechanical shutter that invariably makes some sound.

I suspect that English is not your native language nor your strong suit. :)   But I think I got it ... even though I did get a bit lost around South Dakota looking for a cupboard.

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.

4 years 10 months ago #645975 by Steve Zahra

Nikon Shooter wrote:

garyrhook wrote: … my new Nikon D850 …

Congratulations, welcome to the club!

+1 I was going to say the same thing except I'm not there yet!  Still on the horizon for me.  

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #645978 by Nikon Shooter
… in the meantime, do like I did while waiting for it:
download and study the manual! :)

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #645993 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Maria

Thank you for your rather long message - I also struggle to comprehend all of your meaning and relevance. However, if English is not your primary language, good on you for being here and please continue offering your opinions.

My Panasonic cameras - small sensor & m4/3 cameras - each have a combination of mechanical / focal plane and electronic shutter and I can menu activate which type of shutter I want to use in certain situations.

Maybe in years to come when your next camera is a mirrorless body type, you will also discover that you can choose this option as well :)

Hope this helps

4 years 10 months ago #646000 by GaryA

GaryA wrote:

mariablassingame wrote: Unlike transportable electronic cameras with very little sensing units, skilled cams use a mechanical shutter. this can be thanks to the very fact that it takes it slow to review out the knowledge from an outsized device chip. A mechanical shutter cuts off the sunshine so the knowledge is often reviewed out for cupboard space on a South Dakota card.Easy electronic shutters will reset, subject, and readout a sensing unit row by row, however, this technique causes what's referred to as a rolling shutter unit, since the rows don't seem to be exposed at the precise same immediate of your time.It is possible to create sensors that have a support store which allows the information from every picture element to be at the same time stirred to temporary storage whereas the information is scanned out. this can be expensive and can also raise the noise within the exposure.Profits are that the best quality still photos need a mechanical shutter that invariably makes some sound.

I suspect that English is not your native language nor your strong suit. :)   But I think I got it ... even though I did get a bit lost around South Dakota looking for a cupboard.

And Phil did make some extremely good points that I also endorse ... Thank you for participation and welcome to the forum.

4 years 10 months ago #646148 by Carlos
Just feels weird to take a photo and not hear a shutter going click.  Sorry, kind of like driving an electric car vs gas powered, I like the noise.  

(2) Canon 7D, Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 85mm f/1.8 USM, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024