Major changes coming to photography and DSLR sales aren't the answer?

4 years 9 months ago #645904 by EOS_Fan
I've been thinking about what Canon stated about camera sales dropping by 50% by 2020.  So I think we can agree that the advancement of the smartphone market and iffy economy has created a higher wall for newbies to climb into the DSLR world.  

Recently we see most of camera manufactures spending a lot of resources to push their mirrorless presence forward.   I'm guessing that Nikon and Canon are looking at their existing DSLR user base as their potential future sales vs new people.  Which is why the big push into mirrorless.  After all it sets the stage for an entire new product suite of new cameras, lenses and other related products.   

Which looking in, makes the mirrorless camera look like the pivotal point that keeps these companies from slipping into the abyss?   

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #645908 by GaryA
Mirrorless is the future.

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

4 years 9 months ago #645917 by Nikon Shooter
Prophète de malheur!  :nunu:

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #645923 by GaryA
Lol... Le Devin de la verite. :P

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

4 years 9 months ago #645939 by EOS_Fan

Nikon Shooter wrote: Prophète de malheur!  :nunu:

I don't know about anyone else, but I had to go to Google to see what that meant.  "Prophet of Misfortune".  I'll bite, can you expand on what you mean with this? 

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #645956 by Nikon Shooter

EOS_Fan wrote:

Nikon Shooter wrote: Prophète de malheur!

I don't know about anyone else, but I had to go to Google to see what that meant.  "Prophet of Misfortune".  I'll bite, can you expand on what you mean with this? 

I don't see that as the future. not mine anyway. The agitation a-
round mirrorless I see as futile. I am a hard rocking SLR/DSLR
long time user and if that future were true, it'll be time to retire.

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #645959 by garyrhook
OP: yeah, you come across as a prophet of doom. I find the way you commented abive to be a bit strident, not to mention errant.

The issue is not "mirrorless", the issue is features. And there are things that mirrorless systems can do that DSLRs can't. It's a simple fact. You can find lots of comments on the interwebz about some advantages of Nikon's Z mount, and about what Canon is going.

Also: your comment makes it sounds as if the life of both of those companies is solely dependent upon certain camera types. I'm thinking that's completely wrong, especially with Canon. And I don't think that the ubiquity of mobile phones is particulary new. That market has been growing for quite a while, don't you think?

Regarding the "iffy" economy: aren't you paying attention? Things have never been better in the US of A! That's what we're being told, at least.

#againwiththeeyerolls

Then there's your title: major changes how? And why focus only on DSLRs, when micro 4/3s systems are a product class as well?

How do either of those create a barrier? The price of DSLRs keeps dropping, and there's a used market.

"Most camera manufacturers".... define "most"? In light of Oly, Fuji, etc, in addition to the big 2, I mean.

Yes, a new design allows the possibility of new features, which is a good thing. Product evolution happens.

"Slipping in the abyss..." A bit dramatic, don't you think?

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #645962 by Nikon Shooter
Boy… I would like to write that way in English!  :cheers:

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #645982 by EOS_Fan

garyrhook wrote: OP: yeah, you come across as a prophet of doom. I find the way you commented abive to be a bit strident, not to mention errant.

The issue is not "mirrorless", the issue is features. And there are things that mirrorless systems can do that DSLRs can't. It's a simple fact. You can find lots of comments on the interwebz about some advantages of Nikon's Z mount, and about what Canon is going.

Also: your comment makes it sounds as if the life of both of those companies is solely dependent upon certain camera types. I'm thinking that's completely wrong, especially with Canon. And I don't think that the ubiquity of mobile phones is particulary new. That market has been growing for quite a while, don't you think?

Regarding the "iffy" economy: aren't you paying attention? Things have never been better in the US of A! That's what we're being told, at least.

#againwiththeeyerolls

Then there's your title: major changes how? And why focus only on DSLRs, when micro 4/3s systems are a product class as well?

How do either of those create a barrier? The price of DSLRs keeps dropping, and there's a used market.

"Most camera manufacturers".... define "most"? In light of Oly, Fuji, etc, in addition to the big 2, I mean.

Yes, a new design allows the possibility of new features, which is a good thing. Product evolution happens.

"Slipping in the abyss..." A bit dramatic, don't you think?

Having a bad day are we?  You can express a view with out tearing down what someone says word for word.  How would you feel is someone took your question or comment, and then focused on ripping you apart because of the vernacular that you used vs leaving a cordial response?  

"Prophet of doom"  #rollingeyes and wondering can I have what you are smoking over there?  :rofl:   - That was a joke case you take it seriously  

Those aren't my words, those are Canons CEO remarks.  I was just thinking about what he had stated and trying to think about what that means to the camera industry in general.  

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #645983 by Nikon Shooter
… and that way too! :P

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #645994 by garyrhook

EOS_Fan wrote: Having a bad day are we?  You can express a view with out tearing down what someone says word for word.  How would you feel is someone took your question or comment, and then focused on ripping you apart because of the vernacular that you used vs leaving a cordial response?  

"Prophet of doom"  #rollingeyes and wondering can I have what you are smoking over there?  :rofl:   - That was a joke case you take it seriously  

Those aren't my words, those are Canons CEO remarks.  I was just thinking about what he had stated and trying to think about what that means to the camera industry in general.  

I place a high value on critical thinking skills, and feel that the lack of said skills is one of the biggest problems today. No, I'm not having a bad day, but promulgating FUD serves no good purpose, in my opinion.

If you were quoting the CEO, why didn't you say so? What I thought I read was a representation of your reflection on events, not a paraphrase of someone else. I did recently see an article go by about the announcement of results, but I didn't read it in detail, so can't say whether I would have walked away with the same interpretation.

And if there was a joke in there, I guess I didn't get it. Apologies for being thick.

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #645996 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day all

Without adding to the Gary / NS verbal stouch ......... we have had similar discussions previously :)

I mentioned in those earlier posts that 'commentators in the industry' have flagged a simliar 10-year change-over from mirrored bodies to mirrorless bodies similar to what happened with film to digital now some 15 yrs ago.  We seem to be half-way through this 10-year period

They also comment that they expect that 'consumer-level' bodies will quickly go mirrorless, while top-level mirrored dSLR bodies will remain as 'legacy' bodies for those photographers for whom mirrorless will not provide a solution

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

The following user(s) said Thank You: EOS_Fan
4 years 9 months ago #646002 by EOS_Fan

Ozzie_Traveller wrote: G'day all

Without adding to the Gary / NS verbal stouch ......... we have had similar discussions previously :)

I mentioned in those earlier posts that 'commentators in the industry' have flagged a simliar 10-year change-over from mirrored bodies to mirrorless bodies similar to what happened with film to digital now some 15 yrs ago.  We seem to be half-way through this 10-year period

They also comment that they expect that 'consumer-level' bodies will quickly go mirrorless, while top-level mirrored dSLR bodies will remain as 'legacy' bodies for those photographers for whom mirrorless will not provide a solution

Gotcha, so that supports that idea of mirrorless market growing.

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #646030 by Finn
Putting aside all other factors, camera size  and convenience has already shown to win votes with the masses.  Look at smartphones. 

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #646054 by Nikon Shooter

Finn wrote: win votes with the masses.  Look at smartphones. 

These masses are not a reference as the people mainly shooting
with their smartphone are absent of the PS market and would not
necessarely be potential users of DSLRs.

People often get into sports for fun and not for competition, for ex.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024