Leica lenses designed by Sigma??

4 years 9 months ago #646187 by KenMan
All those Leica fan boys and girls sold on the Leica koolaid really must love that brand if this is factual.   https://www.43rumors.com/the-leica-50-200mm-f-2-8-4-0-was-likely-desined-by-sigma/?fbclid=IwAR1yLqFzn0J34S0diTQlJbn-BgmxBVwomWCRf8fMA1PyDO6VclSwUfs8x9M

This being the case, Leica lens, or at least this one mentioned isn't better than Sigma or similar alternatives just because it has the Leica badge.  Seeing this kind of makes you think.  I have a close friend who owns a couple Leica cameras and has always boosted about how superior their lenses were.  Yeah., about that.   

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #646230 by Fess Walker
Well there's a surprise for you!

That doesn't seem 100%.  But if it is, then that is pretty amazing for Sigma!  

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #646240 by icepics
Leica partnered with Sigma and Panasonic to manufacture lenses for their new L mount cameras. So Sigma probably has a patent of the design for a lens they're manufacturing in partnership with Leica.

The L mount is intended to be more universal or usable with other brands. Which is not a new idea; I have a Voigtlander rangefinder and digital Ricoh that use Leica Thread Mount (LTM) known as M mount. I have one vintage Leica lens from the 1940's and while it may be a little brassed and well used it's a nice sharp lens (I'm happy with it, to each his own).

The 43rumors site didn't seem to do their homework or they'd know about the new L mount and the partnership between those manufacturers. They link to a site that's mostly in Japanese...

Sharon
Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #646258 by icepics
Forgot to post the link to the Leica L mount site.
l-mount.com/?utm_source=corposite&utm_me...nt&utm_content=leica

Got curious about 43rumors and it shows they're in Belgium; mentions the UK, US, Canada, and Japan. Didn't see any names so couldn't tell who owns it, runs it, provides links and/or the rumors.

Sharon
Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #646281 by Pettigrew
Regardless, this looks very favorable for Sigma and I’m sure relationships like this please the shareholders.  As I see it, this raises perceived value and quality of their lenses.   

Canon EOS 7D SLR | XT W/18-55 Kit Lens | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 | Canon 28-105mm | Canon 75-300mm | Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 100-400
Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #646363 by KenMan
Yep, I was thinking the same thing.  Surprised to learn this.  But IMHO, this looks really good for Sigma.  Heck raises my opinion of their lenses! 

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #646406 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day all

Without putting down Ken for the O.P. - one needs to realise several basic facts regarding manufacturing ... as the design could be done by any of 1/2-dozen sources.

In any manufacturing process, every individual component has a manufacturing tolerance ... some come out 'a bit less' - some are 'a bit oversize' - and some are 'damn-near-perfect' ... but ALL are within the designated tolerance

If the inspection process puts aside all the 'damn-near-perfect' components, then when assembled into a final product, its performance WILL be superior to the regular product that you and I can afford. This is already done by Canon & Nikon for many of their 'pro' versions of regular lenses, so presuming it is also done in this case, it certainly means that the Leica branded lens, as well as costing heaps more than the commercial version, will also be better at everything else too.

A version of the above has also been done for many decades now by lens makers who at final assembly inspection may find a batch that has slightly worse performance than they would like for their 'brand name' lens - so they are sold off to other sellers, leading to inexpensive lenses being branded 'K-Mart' or 'Wal-Mart' and suchlike

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

4 years 9 months ago #646411 by Tristan R
+1 good point

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #646607 by Chris Briggs
Does Sigma make lenses for anyone else? 

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #646632 by fmw
Nothing new here.  Leica put their brand on some Minolta lenses for its SLR back in the 1980's.  Leica lenses were superior to most others back in the days prior to computer generated lens designs.  Computers equalized things.  That's why Leica can outsource lenses to Sigma and Zeiss can have Cosina execute their designs.

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #646793 by Ian Stone
Not surprised at all.  If you have shot with recent Sigma glass, their lenses are really nice stuff. 

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #647014 by Jason Stevens
Agree, Sigma has continued to raise the bar with their lenses.  I bought a 10-20mm from them back in 2009.  It just felt cheap.  Their new lenses feel of much higher quality and optics are world class.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024