Dealth Valley or Salton Sea?

4 years 9 months ago #646233 by Alex
I'm feeling the itch to get out and trying to figure out which location I feel like going too.   Death Valley will take me about 5.5 hours to get to, and Salton Sea about 2.5.  I've seen some great shots of Bombay Beach ruins, however they are from 2012 and 2014.  I'm curious where the water levels might be at this time.  I've seen some shots with a dead tree surrounded by water at sunset that looked cool.  Also one shot of a set of pillions in a "7" formation surrounded by water.   I couldn't find any new shots that would confirm water levels here.   I don't suppose you have been here and can share where the water levels are at? 

If I go here, and it doesn't pan out, I could always drive north 1 hour to south side of Joshua Tree. 

But Death Valley I think would be great, but it's 5 hours drive with out factoring in traffic.  So, as you can see, I'm weighing in which location makes more sense. 

Which would you go to?   

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #646254 by garyrhook
Death Valley. All night long.

IMNSHO, of course.

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #646261 by Alex
Let me add one more factor to this.  Temp:

I'm leaning towards Death Valley now... just not looking forward to the drive.  

Photo Comments
Attachments:
4 years 9 months ago #646267 by garyrhook
Well, yeah, there's that. Summer is for going to the PNW or  Canada. I'd plan on sleeping during the day and doing some night work along with morning / evening.

FWIW, we have the same issue with Big Bend. October -> April is great. The rest of the time it's too darn hot.

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #646378 by Pete Franko
Watch out Death Valley can get upwards of 120 F during the day.  With the nights still hovering in the 90's.  bring plenty of water and GPS if you have one.  I've heard stories of people getting disoriented and lost in the sand dunes there.   

With that said, there are incredible photo opportunities at DV, during sunset, sunrise and milky way shots!  

Good luck Alex!  

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #646388 by Alex

garyrhook wrote: Well, yeah, there's that. Summer is for going to the PNW or  Canada. I'd plan on sleeping during the day and doing some night work along with morning / evening.

FWIW, we have the same issue with Big Bend. October -> April is great. The rest of the time it's too darn hot.

I hear you Gary.  Well these locations are just driving distances and 2 locations I've not been to before.  Death Valley will be incredible, especially with all the rain we have received this winter,  I'll  likely drive up get positioned for the sunset, and photograph through out the night, and capture the sunrise, then drive home and avoid the nasty day heat.  

How far is Big Bend from you? 

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #646389 by Alex

Pete Franko wrote: Watch out Death Valley can get upwards of 120 F during the day.  With the nights still hovering in the 90's.  bring plenty of water and GPS if you have one.  I've heard stories of people getting disoriented and lost in the sand dunes there.   

With that said, there are incredible photo opportunities at DV, during sunset, sunrise and milky way shots!  

Good luck Alex!  

I was just looking at more of the milky way photos from Death Valley, amazing!  

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #646418 by Moe
+1  Death Valley 

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #646452 by Prago
Do you know the history behind the Salton Sea?  I saw a documentary on it last year, very interesting. 

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #646497 by Hoss
If you can handle the heat, death Valley all the way

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #646547 by Overread
I've been to both, and both have certain attractions that make each spot so like-able.   

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #646619 by fmw
Death Valley has been one of my favorite venues for photography.  It ranks right up there with Yosemite.  I usually go in the late fall or winter when the weather is lovely.

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #646695 by Chris Curran

LOL 19:00 to see all sorts of photographers 

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #646697 by Chris Curran
Here's another interesting video on DV, just make sure your car is in better driving condition than the one these guys took in there.  

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #646699 by garyrhook
That video is quite nice. Thanks for sharing the find.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024