Dealth Valley or Salton Sea?

6 months 1 week ago #646233 by Alex
I'm feeling the itch to get out and trying to figure out which location I feel like going too.   Death Valley will take me about 5.5 hours to get to, and Salton Sea about 2.5.  I've seen some great shots of Bombay Beach ruins, however they are from 2012 and 2014.  I'm curious where the water levels might be at this time.  I've seen some shots with a dead tree surrounded by water at sunset that looked cool.  Also one shot of a set of pillions in a "7" formation surrounded by water.   I couldn't find any new shots that would confirm water levels here.   I don't suppose you have been here and can share where the water levels are at? 

If I go here, and it doesn't pan out, I could always drive north 1 hour to south side of Joshua Tree. 

But Death Valley I think would be great, but it's 5 hours drive with out factoring in traffic.  So, as you can see, I'm weighing in which location makes more sense. 

Which would you go to?   

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 months 1 week ago - 6 months 1 week ago #646254 by garyrhook
Death Valley. All night long.

IMNSHO, of course.

Photo Comments

6 months 1 week ago #646261 by Alex
Let me add one more factor to this.  Temp:

I'm leaning towards Death Valley now... just not looking forward to the drive.  

Photo Comments
Attachments:

6 months 1 week ago #646267 by garyrhook
Well, yeah, there's that. Summer is for going to the PNW or  Canada. I'd plan on sleeping during the day and doing some night work along with morning / evening.

FWIW, we have the same issue with Big Bend. October -> April is great. The rest of the time it's too darn hot.

Photo Comments

6 months 1 week ago #646378 by Pete Franko
Watch out Death Valley can get upwards of 120 F during the day.  With the nights still hovering in the 90's.  bring plenty of water and GPS if you have one.  I've heard stories of people getting disoriented and lost in the sand dunes there.   

With that said, there are incredible photo opportunities at DV, during sunset, sunrise and milky way shots!  

Good luck Alex!  

Photo Comments

6 months 1 week ago #646388 by Alex

garyrhook wrote: Well, yeah, there's that. Summer is for going to the PNW or  Canada. I'd plan on sleeping during the day and doing some night work along with morning / evening.

FWIW, we have the same issue with Big Bend. October -> April is great. The rest of the time it's too darn hot.

I hear you Gary.  Well these locations are just driving distances and 2 locations I've not been to before.  Death Valley will be incredible, especially with all the rain we have received this winter,  I'll  likely drive up get positioned for the sunset, and photograph through out the night, and capture the sunrise, then drive home and avoid the nasty day heat.  

How far is Big Bend from you? 

Photo Comments

6 months 1 week ago #646389 by Alex

Pete Franko wrote: Watch out Death Valley can get upwards of 120 F during the day.  With the nights still hovering in the 90's.  bring plenty of water and GPS if you have one.  I've heard stories of people getting disoriented and lost in the sand dunes there.   

With that said, there are incredible photo opportunities at DV, during sunset, sunrise and milky way shots!  

Good luck Alex!  

I was just looking at more of the milky way photos from Death Valley, amazing!  

Photo Comments

6 months 1 week ago #646418 by Moe
+1  Death Valley 

Photo Comments

6 months 1 week ago #646452 by Prago
Do you know the history behind the Salton Sea?  I saw a documentary on it last year, very interesting. 

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments

6 months 1 week ago #646497 by Hoss
If you can handle the heat, death Valley all the way

Photo Comments

6 months 1 week ago #646547 by Overread
I've been to both, and both have certain attractions that make each spot so like-able.   

Photo Comments

6 months 1 week ago #646619 by fmw
Death Valley has been one of my favorite venues for photography.  It ranks right up there with Yosemite.  I usually go in the late fall or winter when the weather is lovely.

Photo Comments

6 months 1 week ago - 6 months 1 week ago #646695 by Chris Curran

LOL 19:00 to see all sorts of photographers 

Photo Comments

6 months 1 week ago #646697 by Chris Curran
Here's another interesting video on DV, just make sure your car is in better driving condition than the one these guys took in there.  

Photo Comments

6 months 1 week ago #646699 by garyrhook
That video is quite nice. Thanks for sharing the find.

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Yes, there are many different cheap full frame cameras available in 2019. The question is, which budget full frame cameras are best for 2020? Find out in this comparison review.

Dec 06, 2019

In the Nikon Z6 vs Canon EOS R debate, which one is the best buy for you? Get all the details on both these cameras in this detailed comparison review.

Dec 04, 2019

Sure, the Nikon D610 is going on seven years old, but if you want a full frame camera, you'll be hard-pressed to find a cheaper one. Learn about the features and benefits of this camera in our Nikon D610 review.

Nov 27, 2019

The FujiFilm X-Pro 3 is a brand-new camera with distinct retro styling. Is it the right camera for you? Find out in this detailed FujiFilm X-Pro 3 review.

Nov 26, 2019
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using a teleprompter when creating videos allows you to give your audience a much-improved message. With one of these best teleprompters of 2019, you can do so without busting your budget!

Dec 09, 2019

If you're ready to take better travel photos and make money while you do it, have a look at this tutorial for some must-have travel photography tips.

Dec 09, 2019

Photo by Geo Days on Unsplash If you're scared of going to the dentist, you should probably stop reading now. A dentist in...

Dec 08, 2019

Photo by Victória Kubiaki on Unsplash It's not every day that someone goes out of their way to make strangers smile, but that's...

Dec 08, 2019

Photo by Olenka Kotyk on Unsplash  Brides will always expect photographers to work for free because photography is an...

Dec 07, 2019

The best camera bags of 2019 include duffel bags and slings, backpacks and leather bags. Their common trait? These are some of the most well-designed, rugged, and functional bags available today.

Dec 06, 2019

I'm making the move to Canon mirrorless cameras, specifically the EOS R. Here's a few thoughts on the transition so far, including some pleasant surprises!

Dec 06, 2019

Yes, there are many different cheap full frame cameras available in 2019. The question is, which budget full frame cameras are best for 2020? Find out in this comparison review.

Dec 06, 2019