Compression from a 85mm for street photography lens vs 70-200mm?

5 days 6 hours ago #647538 by ArtWagner
I've been trying to spend at least one day a week working into my street photography.  I head out with my 5D Mk III and 70-200mm, which people see me from a mile away. I'd like to reduce the physical size of my camera rig.  With out moving to mirrorless, I think if I move to a 85mm, this focal length will work.  But what I'm not sure about, is the compression.  Would you happen to know if the 85mm prime will offer much in terms of compression?

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 days 5 hours ago #647550 by Nikon Shooter
Focal length is focal length, zoom or prime.
Zooms = variable compressions as primes = fixed ones.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster

4 days 15 hours ago #647637 by KCook

Nikon Shooter wrote: Focal length is focal length, zoom or prime.
Zooms = variable compressions as primes = fixed ones.

I agree.  Also, what "terms of compression" do you think are needed for SP???  I shoot SP mostly with WA (and zero concerns about compression).  So far 90mm is the longest focal length I have used for SP.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

4 days 3 hours ago #647743 by Moe
You can't go wrong with the 85mm IMHO

Photo Comments

3 days 17 hours ago #647777 by Gammill
85mm has to be one of the most used lenses in my camera bag.  Highly recommend it.  Great for street photography as well is portraits.  Speaking of portraits, in my book there is no better lens for portraits.  

Photo Comments

3 days 6 hours ago - 3 days 3 hours ago #647817 by Troponin
Two options;

1. Rent them and find out

2. Search the web for comparison shots

200mm will certainly give more compression, but honestly, 70-200 is just difficult to work with. In order to achieve the compression you want. You will have to be at 150mm+, otherwise, I don’t feel the len’s “rendering” (how it looks compared to other lenses) is worth it. These are big, heavy lenses and 200mm is really long for street. Lastly, they aren’t as good in low light either. My 85mm 1.4 is incredibly bright, and the 1.8 is pretty dang close.

85mm is my “general use” lens. I photograph animals with it too though, hence why I chose 85mm over, say, the 35mm or 50mm. If SP was my goal, id probably go with a 50mm. It always felt a little easier to get the composition than an 85mm at times. The 85mm still makes me back up more than I expect on occasion. There have been times when I couldn't even get the shot that I wanted because I didn't have enough room to back up or put the right distance between the subject and I. 

Photo Comments

2 days 1 hour ago #648044 by ArtWagner

Troponin wrote: Two options;

1. Rent them and find out

2. Search the web for comparison shots

200mm will certainly give more compression, but honestly, 70-200 is just difficult to work with. In order to achieve the compression you want. You will have to be at 150mm+, otherwise, I don’t feel the len’s “rendering” (how it looks compared to other lenses) is worth it. These are big, heavy lenses and 200mm is really long for street. Lastly, they aren’t as good in low light either. My 85mm 1.4 is incredibly bright, and the 1.8 is pretty dang close.

85mm is my “general use” lens. I photograph animals with it too though, hence why I chose 85mm over, say, the 35mm or 50mm. If SP was my goal, id probably go with a 50mm. It always felt a little easier to get the composition than an 85mm at times. The 85mm still makes me back up more than I expect on occasion. There have been times when I couldn't even get the shot that I wanted because I didn't have enough room to back up or put the right distance between the subject and I. 

Good call guys.  Thank you all.  I just rented one and it should be here on Monday!  

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Panasonic Lumix ZS200 review, learn why it is one of the best bridge cameras and one of the best travel camera options on the market today.

Jun 12, 2019

In this Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark III review, learn why this little micro four thirds camera is such a good buy in 2019.

Jun 06, 2019

FujiFilm just dropped the highest-resolution mirrorless camera to date, the 102-megapixel GFX100. In this FujiFilm GFX100 review, we take a look at all the essential specs of this game-changing camera.

May 29, 2019

In the Canon 5D Mark IV vs Canon 6D Mark II, which one wins? In this comparison review, learn about the essential specs, features, pricing, and more, of these Canon cameras.

May 27, 2019

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

It's been about a month since I got the Peak Design Travel Tripod. I was impressed out of the gate, and after a few weeks of use, I'm even more impressed now!

Jun 14, 2019

Photographing Oregon should be on any serious landscape photographer's bucket list, as it offers a wide range of breathtaking landscapes, from waterfalls to soaring mountains, coastlines to high deserts.

Jun 14, 2019

Via NASA Beam me up, Scottie! A dune shaped like the famous Star Trek logo was just discovered by NASA on the surface of Mars, and even William Shatner...

Jun 14, 2019

Ever wondered what the perfect blend of video and photos would look like? Fujifilm thinks its an instant photo with audio capabilities. And everyone is...

Jun 13, 2019

Growing up I always wanted to be a National Geographic photographer. Their lives seemed so glamorous, filled with many thanks for their contributions to the...

Jun 13, 2019

In this tutorial, learn a few basic steps and general guidelines that will help you learn how to improve black and white fine art photography.

Jun 13, 2019

In this Panasonic Lumix ZS200 review, learn why it is one of the best bridge cameras and one of the best travel camera options on the market today.

Jun 12, 2019

There's plenty of Fujifilm X-Pro 3 rumors floating around, including the assumption that the camera will be released later this year. Get the scoop on what to expect from Fuji's new X-Pro 3.

Jun 12, 2019