Compression from a 85mm for street photography lens vs 70-200mm?

4 years 10 months ago #647538 by ArtWagner
I've been trying to spend at least one day a week working into my street photography.  I head out with my 5D Mk III and 70-200mm, which people see me from a mile away. I'd like to reduce the physical size of my camera rig.  With out moving to mirrorless, I think if I move to a 85mm, this focal length will work.  But what I'm not sure about, is the compression.  Would you happen to know if the 85mm prime will offer much in terms of compression?

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #647550 by Nikon Shooter
Focal length is focal length, zoom or prime.
Zooms = variable compressions as primes = fixed ones.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #647637 by KCook

Nikon Shooter wrote: Focal length is focal length, zoom or prime.
Zooms = variable compressions as primes = fixed ones.

I agree.  Also, what "terms of compression" do you think are needed for SP???  I shoot SP mostly with WA (and zero concerns about compression).  So far 90mm is the longest focal length I have used for SP.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

4 years 10 months ago #647743 by Moe
You can't go wrong with the 85mm IMHO

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #647777 by Gammill
85mm has to be one of the most used lenses in my camera bag.  Highly recommend it.  Great for street photography as well is portraits.  Speaking of portraits, in my book there is no better lens for portraits.  

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #647817 by Troponin
Two options;

1. Rent them and find out

2. Search the web for comparison shots

200mm will certainly give more compression, but honestly, 70-200 is just difficult to work with. In order to achieve the compression you want. You will have to be at 150mm+, otherwise, I don’t feel the len’s “rendering” (how it looks compared to other lenses) is worth it. These are big, heavy lenses and 200mm is really long for street. Lastly, they aren’t as good in low light either. My 85mm 1.4 is incredibly bright, and the 1.8 is pretty dang close.

85mm is my “general use” lens. I photograph animals with it too though, hence why I chose 85mm over, say, the 35mm or 50mm. If SP was my goal, id probably go with a 50mm. It always felt a little easier to get the composition than an 85mm at times. The 85mm still makes me back up more than I expect on occasion. There have been times when I couldn't even get the shot that I wanted because I didn't have enough room to back up or put the right distance between the subject and I. 

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #648044 by ArtWagner

Troponin wrote: Two options;

1. Rent them and find out

2. Search the web for comparison shots

200mm will certainly give more compression, but honestly, 70-200 is just difficult to work with. In order to achieve the compression you want. You will have to be at 150mm+, otherwise, I don’t feel the len’s “rendering” (how it looks compared to other lenses) is worth it. These are big, heavy lenses and 200mm is really long for street. Lastly, they aren’t as good in low light either. My 85mm 1.4 is incredibly bright, and the 1.8 is pretty dang close.

85mm is my “general use” lens. I photograph animals with it too though, hence why I chose 85mm over, say, the 35mm or 50mm. If SP was my goal, id probably go with a 50mm. It always felt a little easier to get the composition than an 85mm at times. The 85mm still makes me back up more than I expect on occasion. There have been times when I couldn't even get the shot that I wanted because I didn't have enough room to back up or put the right distance between the subject and I. 

Good call guys.  Thank you all.  I just rented one and it should be here on Monday!  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024