How long will film negatives last in a box in garage?

4 years 10 months ago #647599 by Jeff Scott
I just realized that I have 2 boxes of old film negatives that my parents gave me a few years ago sitting in my garage somewhere.  I completely forgot that they were in there as my parents sent me home with a number of boxes including different items from my childhood.  

I'll likely look at converting these to digital, speaking of which, any recommendations?

But back to the title, how long will these negatives be good for in a sometimes very hot garage?  

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #647603 by Nikon Shooter
Heat and time are the worst enemy of emulsions. There
are some perverted points where film conditions and sub-
jects are meeting for surprising results… but that is rare!

Don't be shy to use them, Jeff, but stay cool!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #647670 by MYoung

Jeff Scott wrote: I just realized that I have 2 boxes of old film negatives that my parents gave me a few years ago sitting in my garage somewhere.  I completely forgot that they were in there as my parents sent me home with a number of boxes including different items from my childhood.  

I'll likely look at converting these to digital, speaking of which, any recommendations?

But back to the title, how long will these negatives be good for in a sometimes very hot garage?  

You'll want something like Wolverine Titan.  That's the one we use, it's fast, small and was ranked highest.  

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #647725 by Dan Spade

Jeff Scott wrote: I just realized that I have 2 boxes of old film negatives that my parents gave me a few years ago sitting in my garage somewhere.  I completely forgot that they were in there as my parents sent me home with a number of boxes including different items from my childhood.  

Hey Jeff, I just sent you a PM.  If you are interested let me know, I bought one and no longer need mine.  

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #647737 by icepics
You better look at the negatives first! Of course if needed restoration could be done.

Depends on the condition when left in the garage, and yes the heat can damage the emulsion. How much? get them out and look at them. B&W can last indefinitely but color can shift.

Go through them and see which look the most worthwhile to start with. I use a small lightbox but you can just hold them up to a lamp, in front of the shade, to see them. You could scan them or have them scanned and try making adjustments to the digital copies.

If some are significant enough to restore but beyond what you can adjust yourself you could look up Film Rescue International and see what services they offer. Or any type art restoration company might be an option.

Sharon
Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #647744 by Alex
:agree:  good answer on the negatives.  Personally I would move them indoors to a closet or something.  

Regarding converting them, I just finished filming a "how-to" video a few weeks ago on the Wolverine F2D Titan.  This will be going live soon.  In short it's a breeze.  The engineer peeps with Wolverine made this thing to be crazy simple to operate, not to mention it's fast at converting film to digital. 

And it's small! 

Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Model: NIKON Z 7
Lens: 70.0-200.0 mm f/2.8
ISO: 160
Aperture: f/2.8
Shutter speed: 1/25 sec
Captured: Tue, 11 Jun 2019 22:32pm

Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Model: NIKON Z 7
Lens: 70.0-200.0 mm f/2.8
ISO: 160
Aperture: f/2.8
Shutter speed: 1/40 sec
Captured: Tue, 11 Jun 2019 22:33pm

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
Attachments:
4 years 10 months ago #647751 by Alex

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #647773 by Gammill
After you are done with your negatives, you can work on my couple boxes :rofl:   I have been meaning to do the same for a number of years.  I get the bi annual reminder from my wife.  :whistle:

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #647784 by Richard K Photography
Good little unit, huge time saver.  Some of these things are slow to scan, which can make an all day process for little gains.  At least that is what I perceived from my research.  

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #647911 by Jeff Scott
Oh this is perfect, thank you.  Is this something you need to feed or is there a way to set it and forget it till done? 

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #648029 by Jeff Scott
Found my answer, thanks again everyone!  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024