Air travel rates are out of control

4 years 10 months ago #647616 by Deb Reardon
Miles are getting us less, getting charged for every bag, getting feed less and rates are just outrageous! 

Where are you buying your air travel at these days?  Expedia and Priceline were my go to, but I'm not seeing the deals that I once did.  Unless you book travel 5 years in advance! :huh:

4 years 10 months ago #647619 by Amy Porter
I hear you!

Try  www.cheapoair.com

:)

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #647627 by Deb Reardon

Amy Porter wrote: I hear you!

Try  www.cheapoair.com

Thank you, I've heard of this site.  However thought it was a gimmick because of its name.  I'll try it out!

4 years 10 months ago #647638 by MYoung
Hey Deb, yeah I hear you.  My husband and I will book travel upwards of 9 months in advance.  We use Expedia and have no problems with the site or booking engine.  Their customer service has always been helpful.  

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #647699 by Richard K Photography
Rates have gone up slowly since 9/11.  But if you book well in advance, you can do well with regards to rates.  I try Expedia first, then cross reference with rates found on Google, then directly with airline.  

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #647752 by Moe

Amy Porter wrote: I hear you!

Try  www.cheapoair.com

This is good for purchasing tickets on your notice.  Priceline, Orbits or Expedia are better when you plan things out.  

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #647780 by Kenta
Don't expect anything to change any time soon.  With continued fuel cost, things will only worsen.  Take advantage of the prices today.  Check out historic data -  https://www.farecompare.com/about/largest-database-of-current-and-historical-airfare/

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #647931 by Deb Reardon
Thank you, reading material for me.  I'm just going to have to plan further ahead.  

4 years 10 months ago #648161 by Overread
When you schedule out your travel 6-9 months in advance,  you almost always get better rates.  If you need to book close (under a month), try those cheapoair sites.  

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #648162 by Overread
Keep in mind you can schedule flights up to 331 days in advance if you are paying cash.  

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #648339 by Meskill
I don't think we'll see any decreases in air travel till electric commercial airlines come into the picture.  

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #648459 by garyrhook

Deb Reardon wrote: Miles are getting us less, getting charged for every bag, getting feed less and rates are just outrageous!

Seriously?

I realize I'm an old guy, but a tiny bit of googling will clarify that air travel is far less expensive today than almost 50 years ago, before deregulation. They're not out of control, they're reasonable. Deregulation made air travel available to most people of somewhat modest means.

Planning ahead can make it less expensive.

That said, where you begin, and where you end, affects pricing. And rightly so. If you need to take 3 flights to arrive at your destination, that's more complex and costlier than one flight. As it should be.

I will agree that all of the fees are tiresome, but an a la carte approach to purchases makes sense: those that don't need, don't have to buy. Those that do, must.

IMO, of course.

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #648460 by garyrhook

Overread wrote: Keep in mind you can schedule flights up to 331 days in advance if you are paying cash.  

Cash has nothing to do with it, and some (most?) airlines allow scheduling 360 days in advance.

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #648536 by Moossmann

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #648540 by Moossmann
If OP is comparing cost to 50 years ago, as Gary pointed out, there is a big difference in price:  https://www.travelandleisure.com/airlines-airports/history-of-flight-costs

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024