Air travel rates are out of control

4 years 9 months ago #647616 by Deb Reardon
Miles are getting us less, getting charged for every bag, getting feed less and rates are just outrageous! 

Where are you buying your air travel at these days?  Expedia and Priceline were my go to, but I'm not seeing the deals that I once did.  Unless you book travel 5 years in advance! :huh:

4 years 9 months ago #647619 by Amy Porter
I hear you!

Try  www.cheapoair.com

:)

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #647627 by Deb Reardon

Amy Porter wrote: I hear you!

Try  www.cheapoair.com

Thank you, I've heard of this site.  However thought it was a gimmick because of its name.  I'll try it out!

4 years 9 months ago #647638 by MYoung
Hey Deb, yeah I hear you.  My husband and I will book travel upwards of 9 months in advance.  We use Expedia and have no problems with the site or booking engine.  Their customer service has always been helpful.  

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #647699 by Richard K Photography
Rates have gone up slowly since 9/11.  But if you book well in advance, you can do well with regards to rates.  I try Expedia first, then cross reference with rates found on Google, then directly with airline.  

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #647752 by Moe

Amy Porter wrote: I hear you!

Try  www.cheapoair.com

This is good for purchasing tickets on your notice.  Priceline, Orbits or Expedia are better when you plan things out.  

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #647780 by Kenta
Don't expect anything to change any time soon.  With continued fuel cost, things will only worsen.  Take advantage of the prices today.  Check out historic data -  https://www.farecompare.com/about/largest-database-of-current-and-historical-airfare/

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #647931 by Deb Reardon
Thank you, reading material for me.  I'm just going to have to plan further ahead.  

4 years 9 months ago #648161 by Overread
When you schedule out your travel 6-9 months in advance,  you almost always get better rates.  If you need to book close (under a month), try those cheapoair sites.  

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #648162 by Overread
Keep in mind you can schedule flights up to 331 days in advance if you are paying cash.  

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #648339 by Meskill
I don't think we'll see any decreases in air travel till electric commercial airlines come into the picture.  

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #648459 by garyrhook

Deb Reardon wrote: Miles are getting us less, getting charged for every bag, getting feed less and rates are just outrageous!

Seriously?

I realize I'm an old guy, but a tiny bit of googling will clarify that air travel is far less expensive today than almost 50 years ago, before deregulation. They're not out of control, they're reasonable. Deregulation made air travel available to most people of somewhat modest means.

Planning ahead can make it less expensive.

That said, where you begin, and where you end, affects pricing. And rightly so. If you need to take 3 flights to arrive at your destination, that's more complex and costlier than one flight. As it should be.

I will agree that all of the fees are tiresome, but an a la carte approach to purchases makes sense: those that don't need, don't have to buy. Those that do, must.

IMO, of course.

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #648460 by garyrhook

Overread wrote: Keep in mind you can schedule flights up to 331 days in advance if you are paying cash.  

Cash has nothing to do with it, and some (most?) airlines allow scheduling 360 days in advance.

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #648536 by Moossmann

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #648540 by Moossmann
If OP is comparing cost to 50 years ago, as Gary pointed out, there is a big difference in price:  https://www.travelandleisure.com/airlines-airports/history-of-flight-costs

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024