When the client sets the budget vs agreed rate

4 years 10 months ago #647939 by Wyrick Photography
One of my long term clients that has booked time with me for the last 3 years has recently started to set a budget for gigs he needs me for.   Like today he left me a message saying that he needs me for a particular date, I'll be photographing XYZ and budget is X dollars.  

OK, that budget is below what we agreed on in the past.  Normally I do the work, invoice them and off we go  Now I'm feeling if I accept, I'm discounting my time and losing respect here.  

What can I do here?  

Canon 5d Mark II • Canon 24-105mm F/4.0 • Canon 135mm F/2.0 • Canon 50mm F/1.8 • Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 • Canon 580ex ii
Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #647943 by Nikon Shooter
I don't know what you can do but…
  1. I don't like having my hands forced in anyway
  2. As I understand it, a business contract must be agreed by both parties
Some serious talking is required… or I wouldn't go for it.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #647969 by Wyrick Photography
That's what I'm thinking, but just not sure how to approach them.  After all, we didn't start the relationship off with them setting budget, and it never was that way.  So, perhaps someone got their wires crossed or they are just trying to pull a quick one.  

Canon 5d Mark II • Canon 24-105mm F/4.0 • Canon 135mm F/2.0 • Canon 50mm F/1.8 • Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 • Canon 580ex ii
Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #648043 by fmw
It isn't respect you are losing.  It is money.  My approach would be to explain that the budget doesn't cover what you would normally do but you cut out X, Y and Z to fit the budget.  Make sure that works for him.  In other words, negotiate.  Good luck.

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #648061 by garyrhook
What fmw said above. You reply with what you can do for the specified budget. You also inform them that the work as described by them will cost $X. Clarify the two options. Then you ask how they would like to proceed.

If they are trying to manipulate you into lowering your prices, then you have a different choice to make.

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #648086 by Farestad

fmw wrote: It isn't respect you are losing.  It is money.  My approach would be to explain that the budget doesn't cover what you would normally do but you cut out X, Y and Z to fit the budget.  Make sure that works for him.  In other words, negotiate.  Good luck.

:agree:   1000%  couldn't agree more.  They may have other vendors that operate that way or just honest mistake. 

EF 50mm f/1.4
EF 35mm f/1.4L USM
EF 100mm f/2
EF 70-200mm f/4
EF 18-55mm
EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #648114 by icepics
A message about what the client wanted and their budget doesn't sound firm, just what they'd like done for what cost. I agree with Gary it might be best to let them know what you can do on that budget, and how much it will cost for everything they want. Is two separate sessions an option to spread out the cost for the client?

Usually a contract is sent after discussion and payment is up front or at least a deposit or retainer paid. If they seem to be on a more limited budget these days maybe you'll need to make adjustments in the amount of work you do at a time and billing for this client.

Sharon
Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #648159 by Overread
It might be an oversight, pull them aside and let them know the price.  A good client, will course correct with no problems.  Bad client will, well, you can figure that out. 

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #648322 by I shoot RAW
Most likely honest error or mixing vendors.  Is it the same person you normally deal with?

Wasn't me :)
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024