Your opinion on 24mm focal length

4 years 10 months ago #648090 by Andy Gladwell
I currently have the 24-70mm and 70-200mm and was thinking about getting either the 14-24mm or 24mm prime lens.  I enjoy shooting landscapes when I'm not photographing my family.  This focal length will be for landscapes of course.  But I can't determine should I go with the 14-24mm or should I go with the 24mm.  You mind me asking if you find this focal length to be one you enjoy using often?  

I'm a full frame Nikon shooter, however I'm posting this here to get opinions regarding the 24mm focal length in general. 

Thank you for your opinion.

4 years 10 months ago #648091 by Nikon Shooter
24 mm is a most useful focal length… specially when one
can't back up from the subject. Also desirable with chil-
dren to deform the perspective on their bodies… always
makes them laugh… even more so with the 14 mm. I dare
suggest the short zoom, an indispensable toll in my bag.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #648092 by Troponin
Do you shoot your 24-70 at 24 often? Is so, it would be worth it, IMO. That's what is great about 24-70, is that it's easy to find your favorite focal length and then decide on a prime for better light etc. 

I have an f/2 28mm, and honestly, I'm indifferent about it. I wonder if I would prefer a 24mm. It causes a lot more distortion than a 35mm, but I still feel a bit tight in buildings with it.  Might have to rent one and find out! A 24mm 1.4 or 1.8 would be really fun!

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #648095 by Andy Gladwell

Nikon Shooter wrote: 24 mm is a most useful focal length… specially when one
can't back up from the subject. Also desirable with chil-
dren to deform the perspective on their bodies… always
makes them laugh… even more so with the 14 mm. I dare
suggest the short zoom, an indispensable toll in my bag.

Do you have the 24mm prime?  

The only down side with the 14-24mm as I see it, is that I'll need to get a whole new set of filters for it.  

4 years 10 months ago #648097 by Andy Gladwell

Troponin wrote: Do you shoot your 24-70 at 24 often? Is so, it would be worth it, IMO. That's what is great about 24-70, is that it's easy to find your favorite focal length and then decide on a prime for better light etc. 

I have an f/2 28mm, and honestly, I'm indifferent about it. I wonder if I would prefer a 24mm. It causes a lot more distortion than a 35mm, but I still feel a bit tight in buildings with it.  Might have to rent one and find out! A 24mm 1.4 or 1.8 would be really fun!

What do you normally shot in terms of subject matter?  28mm f/2?  Have not seen that one.  Will need to check that one out.  

4 years 10 months ago #648098 by Nikon Shooter
Yes, the ƒ 1.4 version.

I had the filters for the short zoom and sold them
all. I now prefer to stack focus or exposures.

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #648100 by Troponin

Andy Gladwell wrote:

Troponin wrote: Do you shoot your 24-70 at 24 often? Is so, it would be worth it, IMO. That's what is great about 24-70, is that it's easy to find your favorite focal length and then decide on a prime for better light etc. 

What do you normally shot in terms of subject matter?  28mm f/2?  Have not seen that one.  Will need to check that one out.  

I have a Sony, so I’m not sure what the Nikon equivalent would be. I just mentioned that I have that focal length and sometimes wonder if a 24mm might be better. 

I mostly use it for snapshots of large groups of people (Family reunions, social events) and also landscape shots. This is an area that I’m not particularly strong at, so I don’t have too many good examples. The 28mm can fill more of the frame with large subjects in the entire frame than a 35mm can, but that’s where I am curious about the 24mm...can you fill or almost fill the frame with a single subject. This matters if you want to do some up close shots and isolate a bit for some different perspectives and effects. 

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #648102 by Andy Gladwell

Nikon Shooter wrote: Yes, the ƒ 1.4 version.

I had the filters for the short zoom and sold them
all. I now prefer to stack focus or exposures.

I'm reading that is a crazy sharp lens.  Do you feel it lives up to the buzz?

4 years 10 months ago #648103 by Andy Gladwell

Troponin wrote:

Andy Gladwell wrote:

I have a Sony, so I’m not sure what the Nikon equivalent would be. I just mentioned that I have that focal length and sometimes wonder if a 24mm might be better. 

I mostly use it for snapshots of large groups of people (Family reunions, social events) and also landscape shots. This is an area that I’m not particularly strong at, so I don’t have too many good examples. The 28mm can fill more of the frame with large subjects in the entire frame than a 35mm can, but that’s where I am curious about the 24mm...can you fill or almost fill the frame with a single subject. This matters if you want to do some up close shots and isolate a bit for some different perspectives and effects. 

What's funny is that I spaced a little and forgot that I tossed this question out there with no brand specific.  My error.  

Is your Sony a full frame?  

4 years 10 months ago #648104 by Nikon Shooter
A member of the trinity… says it all!.

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #648108 by Troponin

Andy Gladwell wrote:

Troponin wrote:

Andy Gladwell wrote:

What's funny is that I spaced a little and forgot that I tossed this question out there with no brand specific.  My error.  

Is your Sony a full frame?  

Yes, full frame. I could see your gear, and I should be mindful of that and simply mention that we are using different gear. Unfortunately, I can sometimes be very scattered in my replies. I “abuse” the edit button a lot. XD

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #648124 by Vincent
24mm f/1.4 is the sharpest lens you could get.  Nikon of course :evil:   More filter options than 14-24mm so a big win there. 

Nikon D700 | 14-24mm f/2.8G ED | 24-70mm f/2.8G ED | 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II | (2) SB-900
Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #648157 by Chester Foster
Personally go with the 14-24mm if you want to get more range.  I know that's a Captain Obvious statement.  The 24mm is a sharp lens.   Very sharp.  A very good friend of mine that shoots with me all the time is a Nikon shooter.  He has both of the lenses you asked about.  Nearly all the landscape shots we get he's using the 14-24mm.  He prefers the 14-24mm because it gives him more options.  Granted the 24mm is sharper, but the 14-24mm just opens up more doors.  

4 years 10 months ago #648294 by KCook
Canon/Olympus guy here, I know nothing about specific lenses for Nikon.

I live in the American southwest, which is where I shoot most of my landscapes. For natural landscapes it's very rare that I even need 24mm, much less wider.

Cities are a different story, a 24 can be useful there. Where I most often want to go wider than 24 is for interiors. Both of buildings and vehicles.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

4 years 10 months ago #648333 by KENT MELTON
Dude awesome lens, that Nikon one is killer lens. 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024