How to photograph dogs with pitch black faces?

2 months 6 days ago #648239 by Howard Swanson
Happy Monday to all!  

A buddy of mine who has started breading pure bread bull dogs, has ask me if I could take some photos of these dogs so he can post on his website to sell.  

So this is being done as a favor, but I'm happy to do so.  What I'm not to sure about it how to pull definition from these dogs faces?  The shoot will be outdoors.  These dogs have all sorts of wrinkles and folds all over the place.   I'm thinking a flash might be the answer to this.  Honestly, I'm not sure, this is outside of my normal shooting.  

Can you help me out with some advice please?  

Thank you!

Howard

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 6 days ago #648254 by Nikon Shooter
I would consider having the dog's face in the light source
either in daylight or against daylight but with flash. In both
cases, stay away from BG.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
The following user(s) said Thank You: Meskill

2 months 6 days ago - 2 months 6 days ago #648267 by Meskill

Nikon Shooter wrote: I would consider having the dog's face in the light source
either in daylight or against daylight but with flash. In both
cases, stay away from BG.

.  You mind me asking what does "BG" mean? 

Photo Comments

2 months 6 days ago #648269 by Howard Swanson
I was going to ask the same thing.  Good tips, I appreciate them, but not sure what does "BG" mean? 

Photo Comments

2 months 6 days ago #648271 by Nikon Shooter
Sorry… jargon for back ground. :P

2 months 6 days ago #648272 by Howard Swanson
Ah!  Gotcha.  So just to clarify, you are talking about distance from background, right? 

Photo Comments

2 months 6 days ago #648273 by Meskill

Nikon Shooter wrote: Sorry… jargon for back ground. :P

What's funny is that I thought about what terms it could be and thought about Big guy, big group, back ground, and so many others and didn't think that was the one.  LOL 

OP - can you try to use reflectors as well.  

Photo Comments

2 months 6 days ago #648276 by Nikon Shooter

Meskill wrote: OP - can you try to use reflectors as well.  

I would not even try… the dog won't be comfortable
with a blinding panel in the eyes; a flash is better. A
possible solution would be a diffusor.

2 months 5 days ago #648400 by Howard Swanson
Yes, and as I understand these dogs are a bit hyper, which is the next challenge I'm going to be faced with.  

Photo Comments

2 months 4 days ago #648457 by garyrhook
You're "thinking you need flash"? You will either photograph them outside, in open shade, or inside using artificial light. Or outside with the help of artificial light, depending upon the situation.

You've signed up to learn about two things: using off camera flash (note I said off camera) and photographing dogs. Both of which are going to require work.

If you don't have artificial lighting, get or rent some and practice. Checkout strobist.com for lessons.

There are plenty of folks that offer advice on photographing dogs, but it primarily comes down to understanding dogs. You'll need toys to get their attention (which last all of a few seconds at a time). You might need a tripod. And an assistant.

You should be researching dog shots on instagram and the web. @dogs_ny, maybe Diana Lundin .

Animals with black fur still reflect light. Wrinkles/recesses in skin might be challenging, but your primary goal is to light the eyes.

All that said: if all you need are snapshots, then ignore this.

Photo Comments

2 months 4 days ago #648483 by Patrick G
Great post Gary.  

OP you can rent from BorrowedLenses and strobist is very good site for lighting tips.  

Photo Comments

2 months 3 days ago #648699 by Joslyn
Fill flash and a bunch of patience :)  Really as Gary mentioned above, you'll want to get your flash off  your camera.  Will  the dogs be in  a fixed position where you can set up a flash?  If not, you might want to get an assistant to hold the flash and keep it where you want it.  

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Fujifilm X100F review, learn about its essential features and specs, its pros and cons, and where you can pick one up for a great price.

Aug 16, 2019

The Nikon D500 might be several years old, but it's still a highly capable camera. In this Nikon D500 review, learn why it's still a good investment in 2019.

Aug 16, 2019

In this Nikon Z 14-30mm f/4 S review, learn about its specs, features, build quality, handling, price, and more.

Aug 13, 2019

The Fujifilm X-T2 might be three years old, but it's still a highly capable camera with specs and features that will suit just about any photographer in 2019.

Aug 12, 2019
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Sure, photography gear is expensive, but with these top gifts for photographers under $100, you can get your loved one an awesome gift without breaking the bank!

Aug 23, 2019

Photo by Martin dela Nougerede, UCL MSSL I was listening to a podcast the other day where I found out that there is a group of scientists (astrophysicists,...

Aug 23, 2019

If you're in the market for a gear upgrade, be sure you learn what to check when buying a used camera before you drop any cash on a new-to-you camera.

Aug 22, 2019

Where can you see the northern lights? All over the Northern Hemisphere...but the locations listed here are among the best sites to take in the view of the northern lights.

Aug 22, 2019

Shopping for photography insurance isn't exactly an excited venture, but with the best photography insurance companies of 2019/2020, you can at least get affordable coverage you need quickly and easily!

Aug 21, 2019

With a big budget, there's no end to what you can give your favorite photographer this holiday season. See what some of the best gifts for photographers under $2,500 are in 2019!

Aug 20, 2019

Photography clients can be hard to find and even harder to keep, but with these photography business tips, you'll learn how to retain clients for the long-term.

Aug 20, 2019

Though being a new photographer means you probably have a ton of questions, there are some beginner photography questions that professionals are tired of hearing.

Aug 19, 2019