How to photograph dogs with pitch black faces?

4 years 10 months ago #648239 by Howard Swanson
Happy Monday to all!  

A buddy of mine who has started breading pure bread bull dogs, has ask me if I could take some photos of these dogs so he can post on his website to sell.  

So this is being done as a favor, but I'm happy to do so.  What I'm not to sure about it how to pull definition from these dogs faces?  The shoot will be outdoors.  These dogs have all sorts of wrinkles and folds all over the place.   I'm thinking a flash might be the answer to this.  Honestly, I'm not sure, this is outside of my normal shooting.  

Can you help me out with some advice please?  

Thank you!

Howard

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #648254 by Nikon Shooter
I would consider having the dog's face in the light source
either in daylight or against daylight but with flash. In both
cases, stay away from BG.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Meskill
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #648267 by Meskill

Nikon Shooter wrote: I would consider having the dog's face in the light source
either in daylight or against daylight but with flash. In both
cases, stay away from BG.

.  You mind me asking what does "BG" mean? 

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #648269 by Howard Swanson
I was going to ask the same thing.  Good tips, I appreciate them, but not sure what does "BG" mean? 

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #648271 by Nikon Shooter
Sorry… jargon for back ground. :P

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #648272 by Howard Swanson
Ah!  Gotcha.  So just to clarify, you are talking about distance from background, right? 

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #648273 by Meskill

Nikon Shooter wrote: Sorry… jargon for back ground. :P

What's funny is that I thought about what terms it could be and thought about Big guy, big group, back ground, and so many others and didn't think that was the one.  LOL 

OP - can you try to use reflectors as well.  

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #648276 by Nikon Shooter

Meskill wrote: OP - can you try to use reflectors as well.  

I would not even try… the dog won't be comfortable
with a blinding panel in the eyes; a flash is better. A
possible solution would be a diffusor.

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #648400 by Howard Swanson
Yes, and as I understand these dogs are a bit hyper, which is the next challenge I'm going to be faced with.  

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #648457 by garyrhook
You're "thinking you need flash"? You will either photograph them outside, in open shade, or inside using artificial light. Or outside with the help of artificial light, depending upon the situation.

You've signed up to learn about two things: using off camera flash (note I said off camera) and photographing dogs. Both of which are going to require work.

If you don't have artificial lighting, get or rent some and practice. Checkout strobist.com for lessons.

There are plenty of folks that offer advice on photographing dogs, but it primarily comes down to understanding dogs. You'll need toys to get their attention (which last all of a few seconds at a time). You might need a tripod. And an assistant.

You should be researching dog shots on instagram and the web. @dogs_ny, maybe Diana Lundin .

Animals with black fur still reflect light. Wrinkles/recesses in skin might be challenging, but your primary goal is to light the eyes.

All that said: if all you need are snapshots, then ignore this.

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #648483 by Patrick G
Great post Gary.  

OP you can rent from BorrowedLenses and strobist is very good site for lighting tips.  

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #648699 by Joslyn
Fill flash and a bunch of patience :)  Really as Gary mentioned above, you'll want to get your flash off  your camera.  Will  the dogs be in  a fixed position where you can set up a flash?  If not, you might want to get an assistant to hold the flash and keep it where you want it.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024