Photographing on sailboat at night with limited flash use?

4 years 9 months ago #649020 by Sawyer
I've been asked to be a photographer on board a 62' sailboat for a charity race that is supposed to last 8 nights and 9 days.  These guys will be running their boats well into the night as I understood.  I need to photograph the action basically day and night.  During night, the only lights are being used top deck are red lights.  So, how in the world am I supposed to be able to capture action during the dark with no flash?  It's not like I can set up a tripod and take a go at a 30 second exposure.  I think my only option unless I'm missing something is super high ISO and blazing fast prime lens at night.  I'll use some sort of noise reduction software afterwards. 

What do you think? 

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #649095 by garyrhook
Suggest you talk to them about their expectations, and explain the technical limitations of trying to shoot in the dark.

Suggest you not depend upon using flash. That would be hugely problematic for people actually working: you could temporarily blind them.

A Nikon D4 would be able to shoot at 25,600 and get you possibly usable images. Can't comment on other brands. IOW proper equipment will help.

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #649153 by icepics
Since a camera is recording light, I'm not sure how you're going to get much in the way of photos with such limited light conditions at night.

This will be for a number of days, how many pictures could they possibly need/use?? how will they be using them? (which should be in the contract). Maybe you could get the photos they need shooting during the day, at sunset, and that'd meet their needs. Help them figure out more specifically what they actually need and see if you can work it out. Or decline and let them find somebody else (who may tell them the same thing...).

Sharon
Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #649235 by CaptNemo

garyrhook wrote: Suggest you talk to them about their expectations, and explain the technical limitations of trying to shoot in the dark.

Suggest you not depend upon using flash. That would be hugely problematic for people actually working: you could temporarily blind them.

A Nikon D4 would be able to shoot at 25,600 and get you possibly usable images. Can't comment on other brands. IOW proper equipment will help.

:agree:  might be worth to rent a Nikon D4 with a butt load of insurance.   

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #649250 by garyrhook

CaptNemo wrote: ... might be worth to rent a Nikon D4 with a butt load of insurance.   

<etymology cop>

#againwiththeeyerolls
The term is "boatload". A "butt" is a unit of measurement and cannot, in and of itself, hold anything. A boat can hold a lot.

</etymology cop>

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #649291 by Kenya See
That sounds like a fun trip.  I think your only option will be superfast glass and camera with great ISO performance.  

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #649318 by icepics
True Gary, but then again... you never know, Capt. Nemo's phrase might fit some situations! :blink: But maybe we should stick to boat load considering the topic!

Sharon
Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #649513 by Chris Grimm
I would have said the same thing.  At least in my household we say "buttload" or "sh*tload", I'm sure the etymology cops will have a field day with the last one as well. 

Seriously though, rent a D4 or D5 with a couple fast primes with a BOATload of insurance.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024