Why do people use film?

2 months 1 day ago #649035 by morgothaod
I'm a beginner to photography and am wondering why people use film over digital. It seems really expensive and time consuming over digital.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 1 day ago #649049 by Cory J
Some do it because they like how the images look, while others shoot with film because it's nostalgic.

Photo Comments

2 months 1 day ago #649054 by Nikon Shooter

morgothaod wrote: It seems really expensive and time consuming over digital.

For many of my students, film is more like it at the beginning,
they feel they have something tangible in the hand; as oppo-
sed to digital that is somewhat more abstract, numerical, and
digital. They all finally get the hang of it and go digital.

Yes, more expensive at capture but way less in development.

A younger pro friend of mine does his work in digital but loves
to shoot two, three films a week. I did not since years.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster

2 months 1 day ago #649056 by fmw
I agree with Cory.  It is nostalgia.  There is no logical reason to use film any longer.

Photo Comments

2 months 21 hours ago #649100 by Kenya See
How much does it cost to develop film these days?  I remember a roll use to be $11 bucks back in the day.  

Photo Comments

2 months 16 hours ago #649152 by icepics
Depends on what you want done how much it costs - film developed, scanned, proof sheets, prints, etc. You'd have to look up prices at places like Dwayne's, The Darkroom, Richard Photography, etc.

I've always been a film photographer, just added digital and use film more sparingly. I collect and like using vintage cameras, just not on a regular basis. It used to be cheap and easy - drop off your film, pick up the finished photos. I don't know if it's that much more time consuming if you're good at it although there is some set up, many people seem to spend a lot of time doing post on the computer.

I have at least one logical reason, I like to print in the darkroom. No, I love to print, I just don't have access to a darkroom for now. I do my own digital prints too which is quicker but it's not quite as enjoyable for me anyway. (I'm a darkroom rat, I like the glow of a safe light.) I guess it's like any hobby, it's a matter of budgeting for it or spending your money on something else.

For those who have no interest in it don't worry about it, leave it to those of us who enjoy it.

Sharon
Photo Comments

2 months 9 hours ago #649176 by Scott Klubeck
It's cool, not something I do often, but it's fun to go out and burn through a roll or two.  IMO, you feel closer to the entire shot.  

Photo Comments

1 month 4 weeks ago #649297 by Tony Imaging
Have you shot with film recently?  I get it, it's old, expensive to process.  But it's fun.  Seriously, you have this sense of jumping back in time.  This is where a photographers skills shine, because you don't have much of anything auto helping you.  

Photo Comments

1 month 4 weeks ago #649432 by ThatNikonGuy

Tony Imaging wrote: Have you shot with film recently?  I get it, it's old, expensive to process.  But it's fun.  Seriously, you have this sense of jumping back in time.  This is where a photographers skills shine, because you don't have much of anything auto helping you.  

:agree:   truth right there! 

Photo Comments

1 month 4 weeks ago #649516 by Chris Grimm
It's fun, even relaxing.  For me when I do shoot film it's a vacation from the modern day tech if that makes any sense.  

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Fujifilm X100F review, learn about its essential features and specs, its pros and cons, and where you can pick one up for a great price.

Aug 16, 2019

The Nikon D500 might be several years old, but it's still a highly capable camera. In this Nikon D500 review, learn why it's still a good investment in 2019.

Aug 16, 2019

In this Nikon Z 14-30mm f/4 S review, learn about its specs, features, build quality, handling, price, and more.

Aug 13, 2019

The Fujifilm X-T2 might be three years old, but it's still a highly capable camera with specs and features that will suit just about any photographer in 2019.

Aug 12, 2019

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Sure, photography gear is expensive, but with these top gifts for photographers under $100, you can get your loved one an awesome gift without breaking the bank!

Aug 23, 2019

Photo by Martin dela Nougerede, UCL MSSL I was listening to a podcast the other day where I found out that there is a group of scientists (astrophysicists,...

Aug 23, 2019

If you're in the market for a gear upgrade, be sure you learn what to check when buying a used camera before you drop any cash on a new-to-you camera.

Aug 22, 2019

Where can you see the northern lights? All over the Northern Hemisphere...but the locations listed here are among the best sites to take in the view of the northern lights.

Aug 22, 2019

Shopping for photography insurance isn't exactly an excited venture, but with the best photography insurance companies of 2019/2020, you can at least get affordable coverage you need quickly and easily!

Aug 21, 2019

With a big budget, there's no end to what you can give your favorite photographer this holiday season. See what some of the best gifts for photographers under $2,500 are in 2019!

Aug 20, 2019

Photography clients can be hard to find and even harder to keep, but with these photography business tips, you'll learn how to retain clients for the long-term.

Aug 20, 2019

Though being a new photographer means you probably have a ton of questions, there are some beginner photography questions that professionals are tired of hearing.

Aug 19, 2019