Why do people use film?

6 months 3 weeks ago #649035 by morgothaod
I'm a beginner to photography and am wondering why people use film over digital. It seems really expensive and time consuming over digital.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 months 3 weeks ago #649049 by Cory J
Some do it because they like how the images look, while others shoot with film because it's nostalgic.

Photo Comments

6 months 3 weeks ago #649054 by Nikon Shooter

morgothaod wrote: It seems really expensive and time consuming over digital.

For many of my students, film is more like it at the beginning,
they feel they have something tangible in the hand; as oppo-
sed to digital that is somewhat more abstract, numerical, and
digital. They all finally get the hang of it and go digital.

Yes, more expensive at capture but way less in development.

A younger pro friend of mine does his work in digital but loves
to shoot two, three films a week. I did not since years.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments

6 months 3 weeks ago #649056 by fmw
I agree with Cory.  It is nostalgia.  There is no logical reason to use film any longer.

Photo Comments

6 months 3 weeks ago #649100 by Kenya See
How much does it cost to develop film these days?  I remember a roll use to be $11 bucks back in the day.  

Photo Comments

6 months 3 weeks ago #649152 by icepics
Depends on what you want done how much it costs - film developed, scanned, proof sheets, prints, etc. You'd have to look up prices at places like Dwayne's, The Darkroom, Richard Photography, etc.

I've always been a film photographer, just added digital and use film more sparingly. I collect and like using vintage cameras, just not on a regular basis. It used to be cheap and easy - drop off your film, pick up the finished photos. I don't know if it's that much more time consuming if you're good at it although there is some set up, many people seem to spend a lot of time doing post on the computer.

I have at least one logical reason, I like to print in the darkroom. No, I love to print, I just don't have access to a darkroom for now. I do my own digital prints too which is quicker but it's not quite as enjoyable for me anyway. (I'm a darkroom rat, I like the glow of a safe light.) I guess it's like any hobby, it's a matter of budgeting for it or spending your money on something else.

For those who have no interest in it don't worry about it, leave it to those of us who enjoy it.

Sharon
Photo Comments

6 months 3 weeks ago #649176 by Scott Klubeck
It's cool, not something I do often, but it's fun to go out and burn through a roll or two.  IMO, you feel closer to the entire shot.  

Photo Comments

6 months 3 weeks ago #649297 by Tony Imaging
Have you shot with film recently?  I get it, it's old, expensive to process.  But it's fun.  Seriously, you have this sense of jumping back in time.  This is where a photographers skills shine, because you don't have much of anything auto helping you.  

Photo Comments

6 months 3 weeks ago #649432 by ThatNikonGuy

Tony Imaging wrote: Have you shot with film recently?  I get it, it's old, expensive to process.  But it's fun.  Seriously, you have this sense of jumping back in time.  This is where a photographers skills shine, because you don't have much of anything auto helping you.  

:agree:   truth right there! 

Photo Comments

6 months 3 weeks ago #649516 by Chris Grimm
It's fun, even relaxing.  For me when I do shoot film it's a vacation from the modern day tech if that makes any sense.  

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Sony a7 III vs Nikon D500 head-to-head battle, find out which camera best suits your needs for still photography and video (and your budget, too).

Jan 09, 2020

The Panasonic GH4 might be going on six years old, but it still packs a punch, even in 2020. Learn about all the specs and features of this camera in our Panasonic GH4 review.

Dec 31, 2019

If you have your eye on a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K, check out its specs, pricing, and availability to be sure you get the best deal.

Dec 26, 2019

Yes, there are many different cheap full frame cameras available in 2019. The question is, which budget full frame cameras are best for 2020? Find out in this comparison review.

Dec 06, 2019
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Not sure how to earn more money as a photographer? With these photography business tips, learn how to boost your photography income and improve your bottom line.

Jan 16, 2020

With these top iPhone photography accessories, you'll be better-equipped to take high-quality photos and videos.

Jan 15, 2020

Learning how to edit videos like a pro is a lot easier than you might think. With these video editing tips, you'll learn specific tricks that will help you create epic videos.

Jan 14, 2020

Use these simple business tips for real estate photographers to develop your business and facilitate long-term growth.

Jan 14, 2020

Use this lens filter buying guide to help you identify which filters you need for your kit, how much you might need to spend, and what brands offer the best products.

Jan 14, 2020

If you're ready to upgrade your kit lens but aren't sure what to get, check out these kit lens alternatives that are more capable and might help you create improved images.

Jan 13, 2020

Real estate photography gear can get expensive, but if you play your cards right, you can find real estate photography cameras on the cheap. Here are three affordable examples.

Jan 10, 2020

You don't have to spend a ton of money to get a high-quality tripod. Consult our list of three of the best tripods under $200 to see just how far you can stretch your budget.

Jan 10, 2020