Hanging canvas print in pool house?

5 months 1 week ago #649321 by Andy Gladwell
Good evening Photographytalkers.  

We have a new partially inclosed pool house.  when things are open, it can get humid.  I want a large print 62x41 and was ready to order.  However just got thinking about the humidity and the frame on canvas print.  Will I have problems in the future with this being a wood frame?  

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 months 1 week ago #649361 by garyrhook
You could find out from the supplier what type of wood they use, and what you can expect from humidity. Ask whether they can seal the wood before frame construction, perhaps?

Photo Comments

5 months 1 week ago #649475 by Brody Kross
Don't they use birch wood for those frames?

5 months 1 week ago #649627 by Ian Stone
Most of the time, yes.  But still can't hurt to ask shop who you are getting print from. 

Photo Comments

5 months 1 week ago #649646 by ThatNikonGuy
What sort of air circulation do you have in there?  Is it closed off or just screened off? 

Photo Comments

5 months 1 week ago #649728 by Garbo
+1 completely depends on airflow.  With decent airflow most prints will be fine regardless of what their frames are made of.  

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments

5 months 1 week ago #649750 by Moe
Agree, airflow is the key here

Photo Comments

5 months 1 week ago #649829 by Peter P
Airflow is important, but let's not discount type of wood used. This is still important.  

Photo Comments

5 months 6 days ago #649887 by Scott Klubeck
My parents have a place in Miami, talk about humidity. They have wall art up all over the place there.   No issues.  And believe me, it get's very humid there.  

Photo Comments

5 months 5 days ago #650052 by Stacy Craig

ThatNikonGuy wrote: What sort of air circulation do you have in there?  Is it closed off or just screened off? 

Even still, over time the effects of moisture will become an issue on the frame.  

Photo Comments

5 months 4 days ago #650247 by Alex
I've had a canvas print that is inches away from a shower that is used daily in my home.  It's been there for almost 2 years and no issues at all.  I want to say that one is 35 x 48".   That print has a 3/4" frame.  

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In the Nikon Z6 vs Canon EOS R debate, which one is the best buy for you? Get all the details on both these cameras in this detailed comparison review.

Dec 04, 2019

Sure, the Nikon D610 is going on seven years old, but if you want a full frame camera, you'll be hard-pressed to find a cheaper one. Learn about the features and benefits of this camera in our Nikon D610 review.

Nov 27, 2019

The FujiFilm X-Pro 3 is a brand-new camera with distinct retro styling. Is it the right camera for you? Find out in this detailed FujiFilm X-Pro 3 review.

Nov 26, 2019

The Canon RF 15-35mm f/2.8L is one of the holy trinity of lenses every photographer needs to have. Does it stand up to its huge price tag? Let's find out!

Nov 22, 2019
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best camera bags of 2019 include duffel bags and slings, backpacks and leather bags. Their common trait? These are some of the most well-designed, rugged, and functional bags available today.

Dec 06, 2019

I'm making the move to Canon mirrorless cameras, specifically the EOS R. Here's a few thoughts on the transition so far, including some pleasant surprises!

Dec 06, 2019

How to sell used camera gear has changed a lot over the last decade. In this article, learn about the future of how to sell your used camera gear for maximum profits.

Dec 05, 2019

If you're starting a photography business, there are a few things you need to research before you open your doors. Tackle the tasks outlined here, and you'll be in better shape to build a successful business.

Dec 05, 2019

GoPros have been around for 15 years, and over the years, many unusual GoPro accessories have come to market. Have a look at some of our favorites.

Dec 05, 2019

In the Nikon Z6 vs Canon EOS R debate, which one is the best buy for you? Get all the details on both these cameras in this detailed comparison review.

Dec 04, 2019

"Turn a precious moment into a viral sensation," touts the "Birthie" stick, which doubles as stirrups for your labor and a selfie...

Dec 04, 2019

There are some great Cyber Monday deals going on right now for photographers. Get new gear at deep discounts today!

Dec 02, 2019