Was asked to check my carry on under the plane

4 years 9 months ago #649977 by Sassy Girl
As a passenger, what rights do I have when told I need to put my camera bag below the plane.  My bag was size approved, they just didn't have room for it in the cabin. They ended up moving someone elses bag and mine was kept above.  

But it was a pain.  The stewardess at one point said they had every right to do what they wish with my bags, even though I had camera gear in it. 

So do they?  

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #649979 by garyrhook

Sassy Girl wrote: As a passenger, what rights do I have when told I need to put my camera bag below the plane.

Have you considered reading the contract to which you agreed when you bought your ticket? Yes, you agree to terms and conditions, set out by the airline.

They have complete  authority on the plane. Including ejecting people, moving bags, telling you where to sit and what to do. And you acquiesce to that when you buy a ticket.

You're a photographer: read the contract.

N.B. that whole United thing with the doctor? That wasn't about whether they had the authority, it was about the logic they used in deciding who got ejected. And frankly, the guy was in the wrong for refusing, whether we like it or not, and whether it was handled well or not (spoiler: it wasn't handled properly at all, IMNSHO). But if you want to discuss whether the attendants can, the answer is, "yes, the absolutely can."

I think they should first move suitcases, rather than small bags, no matter what. I don't care whether some is privileged or not, roll-on bags take up too much room. Or change out the overheads to accommodate the bags straight in. Or stop charging for checked bags (which is the stupidest thing.... that charge is for the handling of the bag, not its weight. Turns out it weighs the same whether it's in the overhead or in the cargo hold. Who knew?)

All that said: plan for the worst, be polite, and do your best to get what you want. Sounds like you were successful, so good on ya.

To be fair, my information could be stale, and I could be wrong.

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #649982 by Troponin
Keep what is most important to you in a bag that can slide under the seat instead. I keep my body, 400mm, 85mm, macro lens, then everything else gets packed up in another bag if there isn’t room in my “travel bag”. If they insist, no choice in that case. They give your seat away if you are difficult.

On another note, I almost got myself kicked off of a plane recently because they told us we had to check our life saving meds (epi, insulin, and candy for low blood sugar). Both my wife and daughter are T1 diabetics. I politely told him “we have life saving medications”, as I watched an entire tennis team jam their obviously-over-the-size-limit bags, in to the overhead compartments because they didn’t want to check them. He told me that wasn’t his problem. Told him pound sand and stared at him until he walked away.

Some fights are are worth it, some are not. The camera is not. *sigh* the airline personnel have gotten quite nasty since 9/11, but more recently, customer service scores and social media have forced them to back off a bit

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #649983 by fmw
It is their plane.  They get to make the rules.

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #649984 by icepics
Yes I think they have the right to do what they want with luggage. Next time get on the airline's website and read up on it before you fly. I think I'd take whatever (including meds) that I'd need for the day/next day in my purse/with me and not put it in another bag (that could end up stashed away).

Sharon
Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #649987 by Sassy Girl
Well these answers went a little different than I thought.  

So you would have let them take your camera gear and toss under the belly of the plane with out challenging them?  

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #649990 by Nikon Shooter
I leave a lot of gear all year around in the truck; it is not
sensible to weather or temperature but to the changes.

I wouldn't do the same with my guitars though… suicidal.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #650000 by Sassy Girl
It's funny that you bring up a guitar

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #650001 by Nikon Shooter
Good tune and funny video though tragic story.
For the record, I'm a CF Martin player.

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #650004 by Sassy Girl
My husband plays a little and would likely know the guitar you are talking about.  How long have you been playing?

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #650006 by Nikon Shooter
I was 15 then and noticed that, when he pulled out his guitar, Mario
was getting a lot of the girls attention. I knew what I had to do…
and it worked! ;)

My favourite is a 1971 D-28 I bought new then. I also have a mint D-41
from the 70s (bought used from a junkie) and some others from Guild
(1974 F50R Navarre), Gibson (60+yo J45) (1982 ES335) etc.

Like everything I do, I like to push the envelope and be the best I can be
when I invest myself in anything.

BTW, I got myself a Strat last month! :P

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #650010 by garyrhook

Sassy Girl wrote: Well these answers went a little different than I thought.  

So you would have let them take your camera gear and toss under the belly of the plane with out challenging them?  

Nobody said they would, and that wasn't the question you asked in your OP. You asked whether the airlines have the right to decide what happens on their plane. And their "rights" are governed by the contract to which you agree.

As for this new question, no, of course not. It would be very easy to point out that all carry-ons are not created equal, and a simple bag is a lot more delicate than a suitcase. Suitcases should go in cargo, not shoulder bags. Said with a smile, and a disarming tone of voice. Right?

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #650030 by Ian Stone
These days people see airlines paying out $$ for people who have or believe they have been abused in some way from the airlines.  Kind of similar to the recent ‘me too’ train that we saw a couple years ago, I find it tough not to see many stories we read about with airlines as same tone.  

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #650130 by Shadowfixer1
It's a pretty common practice with small commuter planes. I know on a small jump from Idaho to Jackson Hole, Wyoming, I had to let them stow it underneath. 
4 years 9 months ago #650143 by MM Images
+1 and they give you ticket and will be much safer than getting buried under all the gear as they put the gear in last.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024