Camera that can be operated with one hand?

4 years 9 months ago #650005 by Street Shark
I'm helping out a friend who's best friend has had an accident leaving them with one hand.  This person apparently just started photography 2 years ago and was hooked.   His family is trying to get him back doing things and trying to find out if there is a camera that can be operated with one hand.  

Have you heard of one?  Just to be clear, I'm not talking about a point and shot camera.  

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #650007 by Nikon Shooter
A student of mine was a 47 yo hemiplegic lady in a wheelchair.
Not being able to use her left side, I fitted a contraption to her
chair that served as tripod and permitted her to change lenses
and even use film cameras. Yes, it can be done. :)

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #650126 by Street Shark
Very cool.  But does anyone make a camera that can be operated or has been modified to be more convenient for one handed people?  

Thank you

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #650129 by Nikon Shooter
… not that I know of, ever!

Once properly set, most cameras may be operated
with only one hand… hopefully the right hand.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #650153 by ThatNikonGuy
:agree:   Cameras can get extended switches also, but we are talking custom work here.  

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #650154 by Troponin

Street Shark wrote: Very cool.  But does anyone make a camera that can be operated or has been modified to be more convenient for one handed people?  

Thank you

I am not aware of one, but that’s not to say that there aren’t cases or straps that can accommodate a one handed shooter. For instance, you can get straps that help you hold the camera better with one hand. Not sure how difficult it would be to make camera adjustments. He might need to set up presets so he could access a quick menu instead of needing to make manual adjustments as regularly. It’s easier to access my preset menu than it is to turn the dials with one hand. 

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #650155 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day SS

While you're asking here & others - talk to your TAD - Technical Aids for the Disabled people ... it's quite likely that somewhere in the system is a cradle that can make things happen :)

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

4 years 9 months ago #650274 by Chester Foster

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024