Your smartphones camera and how you use it?

2 months 1 week ago #650903 by Jerrid
Another board I belong to had a discussion a few weeks about smartphones and as professionals how we see this tool.  Novelty, good for what it is, important part of a workflow?  

It was interesting to see how others use it or reasons why they don't.  

It was a fun thread, so I'll post the same subject here.  

For me:

I use my phones camera when I'm out with family and don't want to have my larger camera with me.  When we are traveling, often this will be the camera I always have on me.  More so when I'm with my family.   

What about you?  

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 1 week ago #650904 by Nikon Shooter
I suppose I will be seen as boring but…

I got an iPhone for my birthday from my sons, an iPhone 4,
as it just got out on the market.

I still have it and don't need more nor do I want to upgrade
it to a newer version… I just need a phone and this one works
perfectly!

Light is free… capturing it is not!

2 months 1 week ago #650909 by Hassner
I use my phone camera as part of communication. 
When I sit in a traffic jam and I might be late for work, I send a message with a photo.
When I see an object one of my kids might find interesting, I can send an image.
When my wife ask where I am, I try to show her with an image.

Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago #650914 by Shadowfixer1

Nikon Shooter wrote: I suppose I will be seen as boring but…

I got an iPhone for my birthday from my sons, an iPhone 4,
as it just got out on the market.

I still have it and don't need more nor do I want to upgrade
it to a newer version… I just need a phone and this one works
perfectly!

Sounds like me. The guy I work with gave me an iPhone4 because his daughter refused to accept a brand new old model. She told him it didn't work right. I used it until it died and got my wife's iPhone5 when she upgraded. I was told it wouldn't work because it was from a different carrier. The SIM card is also different. The SIM card is much smaller in the 5. I took an exacto knife and a finger nail file and went to work. I made sure not to trim the working parts. Put the trimmed SIM card in an presto she worked. I'm still using it. I don't consider it a camera. I have made a couple of shots with it, but that's it. When I do use the camera it's usually to copy text or a picture of a product package to research later. Good for reference when putting something back together. Just remember to take a shot before dismantling the object.

2 months 1 week ago #650920 by garyrhook
They're handy tools: fast, convenient, adequate. With enough light they can do a fine job. And if you want HD video, they're usually great.

As long as you like a really, really short focal length. They're limited in that way.

I've taken shots with them and had fun in post, and come up with (what I think is) decent work. And I have a RAW app on my XR, but I never use it. Too clumsy for me.

I'm happy to carry my DSLR for real photos. Otherwise, I don't think about photography. I can either document or experience; I can't do both.

Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago #650935 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day all

An interesting Question with some equally interesting comments

In Ozzie-land, you are only permitted to use a phone while driving when the phone is locked in a hands-free cradle. Pick it up to txt a msg and you are open to a $1000 fine and potential loss of licence

As to "moi" - if I shoot 1/2-dozen images per year on the phone, that's enough for me. It's a crap device and only used as a last resort, and then only for recording something, possibly for an email message once home or back in the office

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

2 months 1 week ago #651044 by Orlando Bohland
I feel like the odd ball here.  I will use my iPhone X phone often.  Now granted it's no DSLR, but it sure does come in handy in tight spots.  I just crossed 14,000 photos on it.  

Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago #651070 by Wyrick Photography
I use mine for family snap shots or quick photos to remind me of cool spots I want to to back too.  

Canon 5d Mark II • Canon 24-105mm F/4.0 • Canon 135mm F/2.0 • Canon 50mm F/1.8 • Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 • Canon 580ex ii
Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago #651094 by Alex
What's interesting is that my answer to this question would be night and day different had you asked me before becoming a father.  

Before Caleb came into the picture - I had maybe at most 200 photos on my phone.  

4 years later, well see for yourself:

Yep, nearly 29,000 photos!  

I'm constantly taking photos of him, we do a daily selfie in the same pose when I drop him off at school.  I've been doing that since he was 6 months ago.  One day going to make a time lapse from these.   I use my phones camera for scouting as well.  Or when out with my family a quick to have in my hands camera.  

It's a tool I use often.  

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
Attachments:

2 months 1 week ago #651237 by Carry
Just for family stuff for me.  

Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago #651377 by Inez Villarin
1. My kids
2. Any where that my big cameras aren't allowed or convenient 
3. traveling 
4. Quick snap shots
5. Taking photos of where my car is parked when traveling
6.  Texting photos of things we need to my husband when is at grocery store.  

Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago #651480 by Scott Klubeck
Snapshots 

Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago #651516 by Finn
For date night, quick snapshots and taking photos of what I am eating LOL

Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago #651587 by Chris Briggs
Back up camera 

Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago #651679 by Garbo
Snap shots only, quick and nothing serious.  

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Nikon D5 is a big professional camera, but is it worth the nearly $6,000 price tag? Find out in this Nikon D5 review.

Sep 16, 2019

If you're looking for the best laptop for photo editing, you've come to the right place. From the best budget laptop to laptops over $2,000, these computers will fit any budget.

Sep 10, 2019

In this Canon EOS M6 Mark II review, learn about the essential specs, features, pros, and cons of Canon's newest mirrorless camera.

Sep 10, 2019

The Canon T7i is an entry-level camera with some excellent features that will help you learn and grow as a photographer. Find out if it's the right camera for you in this Canon T7i review.

Sep 09, 2019
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

In this gift guide, find inspiration for some of the best gifts for photographers under $1,000. From lights to camera bags, cameras to massive prints, you can find just about anything for the photographer on your list.

Sep 20, 2019

Looking to take your camera away from the crowds? Consider these off-the-beaten-path travel destinations for photographers as a great place to start!

Sep 20, 2019

Photo by Cristal Malek Photography Meet Cozette and Bordreaux. They're your typical parents, except they are French Bulldogs. But French Bulldogs enjoy the...

Sep 20, 2019

Video recording glasses have been around for awhile now, so they're nothing new. However, recent price drops have made them quite affordable. Check out the best video recording glasses on our list of budget-friendly options.

Sep 19, 2019

Camera sling bags are a top choice for photographers that want functionality, comfort, and ease of use. Here's our pick for the top 5 camera sling bags of 2019.

Sep 18, 2019

The Fujifilm X-A7 was recently announced as the successor to the X-A5. With some significant improvements, it might just be the best entry-level mirrorless camera on the market.

Sep 18, 2019

If your photo is flat and lacks much in the way of color and contrast, you can use these post-processing tips to add life to a flat photo.

Sep 17, 2019

Photo by Joe deSousa on Unsplash There are certain questionable tactics in the real estate game, like promising free pizzas for...

Sep 17, 2019