Your smartphones camera and how you use it?

4 years 9 months ago #650903 by Jerrid
Another board I belong to had a discussion a few weeks about smartphones and as professionals how we see this tool.  Novelty, good for what it is, important part of a workflow?  

It was interesting to see how others use it or reasons why they don't.  

It was a fun thread, so I'll post the same subject here.  

For me:

I use my phones camera when I'm out with family and don't want to have my larger camera with me.  When we are traveling, often this will be the camera I always have on me.  More so when I'm with my family.   

What about you?  

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #650904 by Nikon Shooter
I suppose I will be seen as boring but…

I got an iPhone for my birthday from my sons, an iPhone 4,
as it just got out on the market.

I still have it and don't need more nor do I want to upgrade
it to a newer version… I just need a phone and this one works
perfectly!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #650909 by Hassner
I use my phone camera as part of communication. 
When I sit in a traffic jam and I might be late for work, I send a message with a photo.
When I see an object one of my kids might find interesting, I can send an image.
When my wife ask where I am, I try to show her with an image.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #650914 by Shadowfixer1

Nikon Shooter wrote: I suppose I will be seen as boring but…

I got an iPhone for my birthday from my sons, an iPhone 4,
as it just got out on the market.

I still have it and don't need more nor do I want to upgrade
it to a newer version… I just need a phone and this one works
perfectly!

Sounds like me. The guy I work with gave me an iPhone4 because his daughter refused to accept a brand new old model. She told him it didn't work right. I used it until it died and got my wife's iPhone5 when she upgraded. I was told it wouldn't work because it was from a different carrier. The SIM card is also different. The SIM card is much smaller in the 5. I took an exacto knife and a finger nail file and went to work. I made sure not to trim the working parts. Put the trimmed SIM card in an presto she worked. I'm still using it. I don't consider it a camera. I have made a couple of shots with it, but that's it. When I do use the camera it's usually to copy text or a picture of a product package to research later. Good for reference when putting something back together. Just remember to take a shot before dismantling the object.
4 years 9 months ago #650920 by garyrhook
They're handy tools: fast, convenient, adequate. With enough light they can do a fine job. And if you want HD video, they're usually great.

As long as you like a really, really short focal length. They're limited in that way.

I've taken shots with them and had fun in post, and come up with (what I think is) decent work. And I have a RAW app on my XR, but I never use it. Too clumsy for me.

I'm happy to carry my DSLR for real photos. Otherwise, I don't think about photography. I can either document or experience; I can't do both.

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #650935 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day all

An interesting Question with some equally interesting comments

In Ozzie-land, you are only permitted to use a phone while driving when the phone is locked in a hands-free cradle. Pick it up to txt a msg and you are open to a $1000 fine and potential loss of licence

As to "moi" - if I shoot 1/2-dozen images per year on the phone, that's enough for me. It's a crap device and only used as a last resort, and then only for recording something, possibly for an email message once home or back in the office

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

4 years 9 months ago #651044 by Orlando Bohland
I feel like the odd ball here.  I will use my iPhone X phone often.  Now granted it's no DSLR, but it sure does come in handy in tight spots.  I just crossed 14,000 photos on it.  

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #651070 by Wyrick Photography
I use mine for family snap shots or quick photos to remind me of cool spots I want to to back too.  

Canon 5d Mark II • Canon 24-105mm F/4.0 • Canon 135mm F/2.0 • Canon 50mm F/1.8 • Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 • Canon 580ex ii
Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #651094 by Alex
What's interesting is that my answer to this question would be night and day different had you asked me before becoming a father.  

Before Caleb came into the picture - I had maybe at most 200 photos on my phone.  

4 years later, well see for yourself:

Yep, nearly 29,000 photos!  

I'm constantly taking photos of him, we do a daily selfie in the same pose when I drop him off at school.  I've been doing that since he was 6 months ago.  One day going to make a time lapse from these.   I use my phones camera for scouting as well.  Or when out with my family a quick to have in my hands camera.  

It's a tool I use often.  

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
Attachments:
4 years 9 months ago #651237 by Carry
Just for family stuff for me.  

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #651377 by Inez Villarin
1. My kids
2. Any where that my big cameras aren't allowed or convenient 
3. traveling 
4. Quick snap shots
5. Taking photos of where my car is parked when traveling
6.  Texting photos of things we need to my husband when is at grocery store.  

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #651480 by Scott Klubeck
Snapshots 

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #651516 by Finn
For date night, quick snapshots and taking photos of what I am eating LOL

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #651587 by Chris Briggs
Back up camera 

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #651679 by Garbo
Snap shots only, quick and nothing serious.  

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024