Not so good photographers think they are experts?

4 years 9 months ago #651060 by Ben Vanderbilt
This is something I have wondered for some time.  Yesterday while sitting at a Cafe talking to another photographer friend about this upcoming weeks shoot.  The line to order wrapped next to our table.  While I was showing my friend photos on the back side of my cameras LCD.  A man from the line started talking to us.  At first he simply complimented on the photo that was on the LCD screen, then he asked to flip back to a previous photo I had shown (turns out he was watching us for a few minutes).  Now he pulled a chair over and asked if he could give me some advice (it was more of an assumption move, but he did ask while he pulled a chair over).  At this point he started drilling me on my photos, and talking to me like he was a Harvard photography professor.  Now with this approach, I assumed this  guy  must be an incredible photographer.  He was talking about one of my photos and stopped himself and stated he would like to show me examples.  He pulled out his phone and started to show me his photos.  OMG  these photos seriously were horrible.  No joke.  I'm good and love the opportunity to learn, however this guys photos were so bad!  Over saturated, horizons not even straight, no composition with the  exception of one of a close up to a lemon slice.  That was the only decent one! 

I've seen photographers who just are tacking in quality work, who think they are gods gift to photography.  Now why is this?

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #651068 by Troponin
I started typing out a reply, but then realized this topic can get complicated. Lol This can be from anything ranging from personality quirks, to mental illness. Here are some of my conclusions...

The first is that the person is just not educated on what makes a good photo. Sometimes this is even cultural. They don’t even know that focus and decent lighting are probably the two most critical aspects of a photo, and they clearly lack at least one of these in most of their photos. 

Ever hear of the term “Those that can’t, teach”? So this covers those that have the knowledge, but for whatever reason, they just don’t seem to ever become as talented as many others. OTOH, there are many very talented photogs that have no idea how to teach others. Sounds like he was neither. 

I worked in an ER for many years that dealt with mental health patients of varying degrees. A lot of social disorders are “harmless” to those around the person, however, they are destructive to the themselves and never realize it. For instance, anti-social personality disorders can sometimes cause a person to have thoughts of grandeur. In their minds, they are changing the world!! They are destined for great things, and it sometimes the only thing that gets them out of bed in the morning. These folks don’t see the same reality we do.

Of course,  in the realm of social disorders, we also have good old fashion narcissism. This one also seems to be exacerbated by social media. Somewhere on this planet, anyone can find a few hundred or thousand followers to tell you youre work is awesome, even when it’s sub par to what a majority of the community would agree with. Social media has validated many mental illnesses (in a bad way), but we could get sidetracked on that one all day and get way OT. 

On a final, and just as important note, remember too that photography is art. With that comes artistic expression and personal taste and interpretation. This is why I pointed out focus and lighting. IMO, these two are critical and not as subjective as photogs “rendering”. When I offer advice, it’s usually to those that appear not to have much clue about these two critical aspects. 

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: icepics
4 years 9 months ago #651069 by Wyrick Photography
Something tells me, this video will be well received on this topic

Canon 5d Mark II • Canon 24-105mm F/4.0 • Canon 135mm F/2.0 • Canon 50mm F/1.8 • Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 • Canon 580ex ii
Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #651071 by Nikon Shooter

Ben Vanderbilt wrote: Now why is this?

Some may say it is jam and knowledge is like jam,
the less one has, the more it is spread.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #651073 by Shadowfixer1
It's human nature to think one is always right. I think we all do that but the smarter ones know when the topic is out of their expertise. You should have said, O.K., now I'll critique yours. That would have been interesting.
4 years 9 months ago #651077 by Nikon Shooter

Shadowfixer1 wrote: You should have said, O.K., now I'll critique yours. That would have been interesting.

Randy for president! :P

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #651115 by Ben Vanderbilt

Wyrick Photography wrote: Something tells me, this video will be well received on this topic

That made so much sense.  

All of you made some good points.  

Light bulb!  

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #651134 by Mike McKinnon
You see that show 'America Idol', same thing.  

4 years 9 months ago #651182 by Matt-Gwinn
I have a bigger issue with how incredibly rude and presumptuous the guy was.
I'm up for a good shop talk now and then, but you should at least know the person before you start offering up unsolicited advice about their work.

Was the guy's advice at all useful at least?I'd be interested in seeing his work, for context.

4 years 9 months ago #651489 by Chester Foster

Wyrick Photography wrote: Something tells me, this video will be well received on this topic

This guy is correct on so many accounts.  But this does apply to so many hobbies, and other things besides photography.  

4 years 9 months ago #651524 by Chantel Nasbur
LOL the American Idol reference was the light bulb for me.  

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #652186 by Ben Vanderbilt

Matt-Gwinn wrote: I have a bigger issue with how incredibly rude and presumptuous the guy was.
I'm up for a good shop talk now and then, but you should at least know the person before you start offering up unsolicited advice about their work.

Was the guy's advice at all useful at least?I'd be interested in seeing his work, for context.

None at all.  That's the thing, had there been some evidence of sound advice, I wouldn't have made much about this.  However he was just off, so off.  

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #652249 by Crammer
We have 2 like that in our photography club and it's funny that they both hang out and glorify each others work, then splinter off and advise everyone else on how to get the best shots. 

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #652288 by Hassner
I love to help when asked, but who has time sitting down to crit an unknown person’s photos?
Obviously someone with a character flaw.
Only one problem. How to get rid of pesky Know-it-all?
I think you have the answer here.

Shadowfixer1 wrote: You should have said, O.K., now I'll critique yours. That would have been interesting.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #652296 by Piechura
The other thing nowadays with Youtube tutorials and reviews is that it can be quite easy to superficially become an 'expert' on a topic without having any practical experience at all. That's why people can get into big arguments about products that they've never even touched because someone who might also not be particularly experienced or qualified to judge has done a review of them.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024