Tripods

1 week 9 hours ago #651117 by komeith
Hey ive been thinking of getting a tripod. What are they mainy used in. I dont want to get one and barly use it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 week 9 hours ago #651119 by Steve Zahra
Huh?

1.  Keep your camera still when taking longer exposed shots
2.  Increase odds of getting sharp images
3.  Provide your camera the means to create a on spot panoramic 

But the main reason is to keep your camera still so you don't get blurry shots.  You'll very likely use it often.  So it's a good investment. 

Photo Comments

1 week 7 hours ago #651124 by komeith
I can understand landscape and such.  But how can apply it to portraits if i hardly ever stand in one place. Like portraits or such where we move from one spot to another and possiby different angles and such. Ive never used one before but am thinking about getting one 

1 week 7 hours ago #651125 by Joe Vertz

Photo Comments

1 week 6 hours ago #651133 by Nikon Shooter

Joe Vertz wrote: … a tripod is not needed for action shots!!

Good post Joe, I just don't agree with this quoted sentence!

For wildlife AND sports, I use two long lenses on gimbals/tri-
pods and freehand gear too.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster

1 week 4 hours ago #651138 by KCook
  • But how can apply it to portraits if i hardly ever stand in one place. Like portraits or such where we move from one spot to another and
    possiby different angles and such.
Then don't bother with a tripod (I rarely need one outside of my home studio).  This depends more on your shooting habits than how wonderful a tripod may be.  Some folks use them a lot, some never.

Even for landscapes, I use a tripod only once in a while.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

1 week 45 minutes ago #651166 by Shadowfixer1

komeith wrote: Hey ive been thinking of getting a tripod. What are they mainy used in. I dont want to get one and barly use it.

If you don't know why you need one, then you don't need one until you learn why you need one. I doubt you would use it.

6 days 22 hours ago #651186 by garyrhook
^^^ +1 don't bother.

It's very simple:

If your shutter speed is too slow to manage hand-held, you need to support the camera somehow.

If your lens is huge and cumbersome, you need something to support the lens and camera (regardless of shutter speed).

Photo Comments

6 days 13 hours ago #651276 by Alfonso Camil
Believe me, you want one!  I'm a semi newbie and my tripod is something I use ALL the time

Photo Comments

5 days 21 hours ago #651337 by Roger Lang

Nikon Shooter wrote:

:agree: Actually I'll take it one step further and say there are few situations that I really wouldn't benefit from having a tripod used.  Tripod is hands down one of my most important tools in my camera bag.  Well not inside of it, it's strapped to the outside.   

Photo Comments

5 days 19 hours ago #651353 by Nikon Shooter

Roger Lang wrote: in my camera bag.  Well not inside of it, it's strapped to the outside.   

Thanks for the precision Roger! :rofl:

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster

5 days 17 hours ago #651385 by Scotty

Roger Lang wrote:

Nikon Shooter wrote:

:agree: Actually I'll take it one step further and say there are few situations that I really wouldn't benefit from having a tripod used.  Tripod is hands down one of my most important tools in my camera bag.  Well not inside of it, it's strapped to the outside.   

I agree.  Also, once you go high end carbon fiber, you'll never go back.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments

5 days 16 hours ago #651389 by Inez Villarin
Always have some sort of tripod with me.  From my Gitzo, to small as Joby.  

5 days 16 hours ago #651390 by Scotty

Inez Villarin wrote: Always have some sort of tripod with me.  From my Gitzo, to small as Joby.  

Gitzo and RRS both make top notch gear.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony CyberShot DSC RX1R II offers a full frame imaging sensor in a tiny body, but is all the resolution of its sensor worth the terrible battery life?

Jul 12, 2019

In our Canon PowerShot G1 X III review, we examine this powerful little camera's specifications, including its build, ergonomics, and video capabilities.

Jul 08, 2019

In our Canon EOS-1D X Mark II review, learn why this camera is such a good choice for enthusiast and professional photographers looking for still photography and video capabilities.

Jul 05, 2019

I've been testing the Zeiss 85mm f/1.8 Batis for a few days now, and to say that I'm impressed thus far is the understatement of the year.

Jul 02, 2019

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Whether it's warm light, cool light, warm white light, cool white light, or something in between, the color temperature of light can have a huge impact on how your images look.

Jul 17, 2019

Screenshot from YouTube video Paradise, California was wrecked by one of the largest wildfires in recent history, and with it, people's lives went up in...

Jul 17, 2019

The Sony a7R IV was just announced to much fanfare, and initial impressions are that this thing is a beast. Check out the Sony a7R IV specs, price, and more.

Jul 16, 2019

Though framed prints have their advantages, for my money, canvas prints are a much better buy. Find out why in this canvas vs framed prints match-up.

Jul 16, 2019

I was skeptical about the Nikon 14--30mm f/4 S due to its f/4 aperture. But after a weekend with this lens in Death Valley, I think it's a serious lens for landscapes.

Jul 16, 2019

Landscape photography with a Sony A7 series camera will be much easier if you pair your camera with one of these top lenses for landscapes with the Sony A7.

Jul 15, 2019

Photo by Nathan Dumlao on Unsplash Invasive cell phones became such a problem a few years back that many brides and grooms began...

Jul 13, 2019

Many of these crazy camera lenses aren't for the average photographer, but that doesn't mean we can't all appreciate how awesome these rare camera lenses are.

Jul 12, 2019