Tripods

2 months 6 days ago #651117 by komeith
Hey ive been thinking of getting a tripod. What are they mainy used in. I dont want to get one and barly use it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 6 days ago #651119 by Steve Zahra
Huh?

1.  Keep your camera still when taking longer exposed shots
2.  Increase odds of getting sharp images
3.  Provide your camera the means to create a on spot panoramic 

But the main reason is to keep your camera still so you don't get blurry shots.  You'll very likely use it often.  So it's a good investment. 

Photo Comments

2 months 6 days ago #651124 by komeith
I can understand landscape and such.  But how can apply it to portraits if i hardly ever stand in one place. Like portraits or such where we move from one spot to another and possiby different angles and such. Ive never used one before but am thinking about getting one 

2 months 6 days ago #651125 by Joe Vertz

Photo Comments

2 months 6 days ago #651133 by Nikon Shooter

Joe Vertz wrote: … a tripod is not needed for action shots!!

Good post Joe, I just don't agree with this quoted sentence!

For wildlife AND sports, I use two long lenses on gimbals/tri-
pods and freehand gear too.

Light is free… capturing it is not!

2 months 6 days ago #651138 by KCook
  • But how can apply it to portraits if i hardly ever stand in one place. Like portraits or such where we move from one spot to another and
    possiby different angles and such.
Then don't bother with a tripod (I rarely need one outside of my home studio).  This depends more on your shooting habits than how wonderful a tripod may be.  Some folks use them a lot, some never.

Even for landscapes, I use a tripod only once in a while.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

2 months 6 days ago #651166 by Shadowfixer1

komeith wrote: Hey ive been thinking of getting a tripod. What are they mainy used in. I dont want to get one and barly use it.

If you don't know why you need one, then you don't need one until you learn why you need one. I doubt you would use it.

2 months 6 days ago #651186 by garyrhook
^^^ +1 don't bother.

It's very simple:

If your shutter speed is too slow to manage hand-held, you need to support the camera somehow.

If your lens is huge and cumbersome, you need something to support the lens and camera (regardless of shutter speed).

Photo Comments

2 months 5 days ago #651276 by Alfonso Camil
Believe me, you want one!  I'm a semi newbie and my tripod is something I use ALL the time

Photo Comments

2 months 5 days ago #651337 by Roger Lang

Nikon Shooter wrote:

:agree: Actually I'll take it one step further and say there are few situations that I really wouldn't benefit from having a tripod used.  Tripod is hands down one of my most important tools in my camera bag.  Well not inside of it, it's strapped to the outside.   

Photo Comments

2 months 5 days ago #651353 by Nikon Shooter

Roger Lang wrote: in my camera bag.  Well not inside of it, it's strapped to the outside.   

Thanks for the precision Roger! :rofl:

Light is free… capturing it is not!

2 months 5 days ago #651385 by Scotty

Roger Lang wrote:

Nikon Shooter wrote:

:agree: Actually I'll take it one step further and say there are few situations that I really wouldn't benefit from having a tripod used.  Tripod is hands down one of my most important tools in my camera bag.  Well not inside of it, it's strapped to the outside.   

I agree.  Also, once you go high end carbon fiber, you'll never go back.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments

2 months 5 days ago #651389 by Inez Villarin
Always have some sort of tripod with me.  From my Gitzo, to small as Joby.  

2 months 5 days ago #651390 by Scotty

Inez Villarin wrote: Always have some sort of tripod with me.  From my Gitzo, to small as Joby.  

Gitzo and RRS both make top notch gear.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Nikon D5 is a big professional camera, but is it worth the nearly $6,000 price tag? Find out in this Nikon D5 review.

Sep 16, 2019

If you're looking for the best laptop for photo editing, you've come to the right place. From the best budget laptop to laptops over $2,000, these computers will fit any budget.

Sep 10, 2019

In this Canon EOS M6 Mark II review, learn about the essential specs, features, pros, and cons of Canon's newest mirrorless camera.

Sep 10, 2019

The Sony a6100 was recently announced to much fanfare. The question is, does it live up to the hype or is it just a glorified a6000? Find out in this a6100 first look.

Sep 09, 2019

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Photo by Joe deSousa on Unsplash There are certain questionable tactics in the real estate game, like promising free pizzas for...

Sep 17, 2019

The Nikon D5 is a big professional camera, but is it worth the nearly $6,000 price tag? Find out in this Nikon D5 review.

Sep 16, 2019

Not sure what to give the photographer on your shopping list? With a $5,000 budget, the possibilities are endless! Check out our picks for the best gifts for photographers under $5,000.

Sep 13, 2019

Learn how to master the art of wide-angle landscape photography with four simple tips that will greatly improve the quality of your landscape photos.

Sep 12, 2019

Are you sick of your gear weighing your shoulders down, causing undue neck and shoulder pain? With the new Holdfast Gear Tanker Belt, you can carry your gear in total comfort on your hips.

Sep 12, 2019

Photo by Prince Akachi on Unsplash #NoBudgetNoPhotos is going viral after a photographer, Nafa Ribeiro, revealed damning emails...

Sep 12, 2019

With these fall foliage photography tips, you'll learn a few fall photography ideas and solid methods for capturing beautiful photos of fall colors.

Sep 11, 2019

Family portrait posing mistakes are easy to make, even for seasoned photographers. In this guide, learn a few tricks for making the most of family photo poses.

Sep 11, 2019