Tripods

4 years 9 months ago #651117 by komeith
Hey ive been thinking of getting a tripod. What are they mainy used in. I dont want to get one and barly use it.

4 years 9 months ago #651119 by Steve Zahra
Huh?

1.  Keep your camera still when taking longer exposed shots
2.  Increase odds of getting sharp images
3.  Provide your camera the means to create a on spot panoramic 

But the main reason is to keep your camera still so you don't get blurry shots.  You'll very likely use it often.  So it's a good investment. 

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #651124 by komeith
I can understand landscape and such.  But how can apply it to portraits if i hardly ever stand in one place. Like portraits or such where we move from one spot to another and possiby different angles and such. Ive never used one before but am thinking about getting one 

4 years 9 months ago #651125 by Joe Vertz

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #651133 by Nikon Shooter

Joe Vertz wrote: … a tripod is not needed for action shots!!

Good post Joe, I just don't agree with this quoted sentence!

For wildlife AND sports, I use two long lenses on gimbals/tri-
pods and freehand gear too.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #651138 by KCook
  • But how can apply it to portraits if i hardly ever stand in one place. Like portraits or such where we move from one spot to another and
    possiby different angles and such.
Then don't bother with a tripod (I rarely need one outside of my home studio).  This depends more on your shooting habits than how wonderful a tripod may be.  Some folks use them a lot, some never.

Even for landscapes, I use a tripod only once in a while.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

4 years 9 months ago #651166 by Shadowfixer1

komeith wrote: Hey ive been thinking of getting a tripod. What are they mainy used in. I dont want to get one and barly use it.

If you don't know why you need one, then you don't need one until you learn why you need one. I doubt you would use it.
4 years 9 months ago #651186 by garyrhook
^^^ +1 don't bother.

It's very simple:

If your shutter speed is too slow to manage hand-held, you need to support the camera somehow.

If your lens is huge and cumbersome, you need something to support the lens and camera (regardless of shutter speed).

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #651276 by Alfonso Camil
Believe me, you want one!  I'm a semi newbie and my tripod is something I use ALL the time

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #651337 by Roger Lang

Nikon Shooter wrote:

:agree: Actually I'll take it one step further and say there are few situations that I really wouldn't benefit from having a tripod used.  Tripod is hands down one of my most important tools in my camera bag.  Well not inside of it, it's strapped to the outside.   

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #651353 by Nikon Shooter

Roger Lang wrote: in my camera bag.  Well not inside of it, it's strapped to the outside.   

Thanks for the precision Roger! :rofl:

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #651385 by Scotty

Roger Lang wrote:

Nikon Shooter wrote:

:agree: Actually I'll take it one step further and say there are few situations that I really wouldn't benefit from having a tripod used.  Tripod is hands down one of my most important tools in my camera bag.  Well not inside of it, it's strapped to the outside.   

I agree.  Also, once you go high end carbon fiber, you'll never go back.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #651389 by Inez Villarin
Always have some sort of tripod with me.  From my Gitzo, to small as Joby.  

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #651390 by Scotty

Inez Villarin wrote: Always have some sort of tripod with me.  From my Gitzo, to small as Joby.  

Gitzo and RRS both make top notch gear.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024