Who has best autofocus tracking?

4 years 8 months ago #651298 by Greg Friedman
Hey guys.   I'm currently shooting Nikon, however looking at getting another camera body.  I want something that has superior autofocus intelligence.   I know Canon has their dual pixel thing going on, and Sony has their Phase detect.  I'm talking top tier cameras if it makes any difference. But who has the better autofocus tracking?  

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #651325 by Nikon Shooter

Greg Friedman wrote: … who has the better autofocus tracking?  

None and all!!!

The best of anything is the one that suits your needs and work-
ing preferences the best. I see this every week, students all have
different systems and all these require some getting use to.

If you are a Nikon shooter, possibly a more recent body will impro-
ve your keepers rate; but any systems from any maker will demand
some adaptation.

My four Nikon bodies are between 7 to 1.5 years old and discretely
got me to find the better way to use them.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #651381 by Scotty

Greg Friedman wrote: Hey guys.   I'm currently shooting Nikon, however looking at getting another camera body.  I want something that has superior autofocus intelligence.   I know Canon has their dual pixel thing going on, and Sony has their Phase detect.  I'm talking top tier cameras if it makes any difference. But who has the better autofocus tracking?  

Both Canon and Nikon flagship cams have stellar focus systems. Just your preference.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #651392 by Inez Villarin
Sony has best face detection from what I've heard and read a number of times.  

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #651399 by Scotty

Inez Villarin wrote: Sony has best face detection from what I've heard and read a number of times.  

A canon 1d series or nikon d5 would be a higher tier i believe.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #651421 by No Show
 Easily Sony on this one. They just have been in the game longer. 

D300| Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8 | Nikkor 70-200mm VR 2.8 | Nikkor 50mm 1.8 | Nikon 2x Teleconverter | Sigma 105mm 2.8 | Tokina 12-24
Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #651428 by Troponin
If we’re talking about wildlife, DSLRs are pretty fast to lock on. Mirrorless are still trailing just a bit. If you want a camera that can keep up with, say, the D850, you have to get an a9. 

I suspect we we will see the gap close more and more, but most that compare the cameras say mirrorless, even Sony, aren’t as quick to lock on. I honestly believe this is one reason a lot of bird and wildlife folks love their Canon and Nikons and won’t switch for a long time. 

That being said, if looking at only mirrorless, the Sony’s are probably the fastest atm. Just keep in mind it will take some money though 

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #651459 by Shadowfixer1

No Show wrote:  Easily Sony on this one. They just have been in the game longer. 

Not sure how you came up with Sony has been in the game longer. If you are talking full frame mirrorless, then yes Sony has been in the game longer but that's the only case. Nikon and Canon DSLR's still rule the day but the Sony A9 is right there with them now. The Olympus E-M1X is supposed to be there with them but I haven't tried it yet. I think it probably lags behind a touch. I know my Olympus E-M1 MKII tracks certain things decently but can struggle at times. I put that down to user error as much as anything. I've never taken the time to figure out the optimal settings.
4 years 8 months ago #651588 by Chris Briggs
Both Sony and Canon higher end cameras do well with autofocus

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #651708 by ThatNikonGuy
I had always thought Sony was the king there.  Who knows, I'm happy with my Nikon. 

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #651813 by Soccer Mom
Sony does with their new a7R IV, check out the impressive autofocus this camera has

Canon 7D, 18-55mm, 55-250mm, 70-200mm L f/2.8, 100mm and 17-55mm f/2.8
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024